Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Flying Fusions!

Old 09-05-2009, 01:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Flying Fusions!

Went out this afternoon to shoot some with my son, and after about 3 groups I noticed one of my vanes was hanging off. Hmmm...next thing I know, another blew off on the shot, then another. So I took my 6 arrows and proceeded to peel off all the vanes with little effort really. The glue seemed really brittle to me, more so than I expected. I fletched these months ago, but it was the first time I actually shot this particular half dozen. I have others that I fletched with no issue. ?

New Beman ICS hunters, 2" Fusions, with brand new fletch tite platinum. I have no clue. First time in my life I have had a vane come off, ever - in 20yrs of fletching. Now...in all fairness, I just started fletching carbons about a year ago...so I have no clue what could have happened here. Funny thing....his blazers on his carbons are just fine. Usually the people complain about blazers coming off. Fun, Fun!

Any suggestions for a better grip on the carbons? Glue, prep, etc? I doubt it was the vanes, probably me.

Mike
Old 09-05-2009, 02:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

It was either the prep or bad glue. I have a hard time cutting off fusions. I use AAE fast-set gel on all carbons and with all vanes.... I like platinum for feathers.
Old 09-05-2009, 02:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks swamp. How do you prep your shafts and/or vanes? I don't think it was bad glue, as the glue held fine on some aluminums I did at that same time. I'm guessing prep. ?

The ICS Hunters are slick shafts as you know....I used acetone to clean them the first time, obviously that didn't help things - or possibly hurt, I don't know. Has always worked fine on the aluminums, and has seemed to work fine on the carbons I've done without "slick" shafts. Thanks for the input.
Old 09-06-2009, 04:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by WV Hunter
Thanks swamp. How do you prep your shafts and/or vanes? I don't think it was bad glue, as the glue held fine on some aluminums I did at that same time. I'm guessing prep. ?

The ICS Hunters are slick shafts as you know....I used acetone to clean them the first time, obviously that didn't help things - or possibly hurt, I don't know. Has always worked fine on the aluminums, and has seemed to work fine on the carbons I've done without "slick" shafts. Thanks for the input.

I usually use some fine sandpaper on shafts like that.. then scrub them with hot water and Comet on a scouring pad. Give a good rinse, wipe dry with a paper towel and fletch'em up.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:14 PM
Fork Horn

I just used Gorilla Super Glue on my wife's Victory's and Fusion vanes. They won't be coming off any time soon!!

It sounds like you had something on you shaft. I have had the same bottle of Steelforce arrow prep for probably 8 years. If not go to the local drug store and get some 91% alcohol. That will be fine.