Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Correct Arrow Weight?

Old 09-11-2009, 01:25 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by 79xlt
Thank you for all your input/advice.

The frustrating thing about these arrows is that I went to a big box store and told them what I was currently shooting (Gold Tip XT Hunter 5575's which weigh 8.2 gr./in) and that I just wanted a dozen of those. They didn't have any so the "archery expert" picked out the arrows that I got. Lesson learned about big box stores.

When I got home I looked at the back of the box and the arrow chart was for a bow that has 50-65% let-off, round wheels, and steel cables. I'm no archery pro, but I haven't seen a bow like that in years. I have a brand new bow with 80% let off. The way I figured it, those arrows would maybe just barely be heavy enough. The spine was correct - just not enought weight.

I have since bought some Gold Tip Pro Hunters the correct spine and weight so I should be good to go.
Like was stated above the weight of the arrow isn't the most important factor (unless your just calculating speed OR making sure to meet the GPI minimum for the bows warrenty) The most important thing for arrow flight is getting the correct spine. At 26" and 100 gr points your should be spined alright for your setup. The GT XT Hunter 5575s are also a .400 spine. If they flew good from your bow, your new arrows should be fine also. You may have to adjust your sights a bit though. The lighter arrows will tighten the pin gaps a little.

Good luck, i think you'll be ok