Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

making rope for safety harness

Old 09-03-2009, 07:56 AM
Spike

Default making rope for safety harness

does anyone have instructions for making the rope for the safety harness and where did u get the climbing rope? what strengths and all that stuff?
Old 09-03-2009, 11:33 AM
Typical Buck

I have know idea what you are asking? what rope?
Old 09-04-2009, 03:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think whats hes talking about the "rope" I think what he wants to know is how to make a climbing harness aid. The strap that pretty much comes with every harness so you have both hands free....i guess thats the easiest way to explain it....tell me if im wrong bromide.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome to the forum bromide!

My guess is he's talking about the safety rope with the prussic knot to attach your harness to while climbing (like summit, muddy, HSS, etc have). ?
I personally would like to set up those on all my stands as well, and would rather "make" them myself, than buy them for $35+ a pop. Anyone that has info on that process would be appreciated.

This question should probably be in the bowhunting section, not the technical.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:48 AM
Fork Horn

I used Mammut Ropes when I was climbing at the rock gym, Before you Gripe about the Price, remember its 30m's of rope, Enough for a bunch of stands
You will want to use a good Carabiner and a Figure Eight knot to fasten your safety lead to the Drop Line. The prussic will connect the safety drop Line to your harness/Carabiner. you can tie a onkey fist on the bottom to keep some weight on it if you want. or anchor it. That is assuming that the Harness you are using has a d ring on it,
Old 09-04-2009, 10:31 AM
Spike

ya thats what im talking about. thanks!
Old 09-04-2009, 01:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

live2draw....thanks for the info.
I went there...wow, loads of products. How do you know what to choose? There's a million different ropes, strength's, thickness, etc.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:21 AM
Fork Horn

well you dont have to worry about edge resistance too much, that is pretty much how many times you can fall tied over an edge before the rope wears to the unsafe point. I would recommend a static or rappelling line for the safety line out of a tree stand this bluewater rope is a great deal for 60 meters and a fall rating of 11.