Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

What arrows to use?

Old 09-02-2009, 01:03 PM
Spike

Default What arrows to use?

A buddy of mine gave me his old Bow when he got a new one. I got it sighted in, it shoots great only problem is this was with his arrows. He is in Ohio I am back at home in Florida. He did not give me any arrows so I am looking to buy me a set but he mentioned I need to be careful with what weight the arrows are because I could screw up my limbs on the Bow. So me being a "new hunter" I was wondering how I can find out what weight arrows I need that wont screw up my Bow if what he is telling me is true. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-02-2009, 01:19 PM
Typical Buck

Welcome to HNI. There's a "lot" of really smart folks here and lot's to learn from them. Take advantage of it.

As far as your arrows go we'll need some info. before we can give you any advice. The draw weight of the bow, your draw length and the length of your arrows (around 2" beyond your rest) do you have a preference as far as broadheads go? what weight are they. Do you shoot a release or fingers? know others that are a lot more knowledgeable than I am will chime in but that will get things started.

Dan
Old 09-02-2009, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll leave the tough stuff to the real smart guys like TFOX and Swampcollie, but I think I can get you started..

The reason the guy said be careful of arrow weight is if you go too light you can snap the limbs due to excessive energy that is exerted onto your limbs, as well as everything else.. So, first you need to find out what the draw weight is on your bow, then, AT TE VERY LEAST, maintain 5 grains of arrow weight per pound.. So say I shoot a 70# draw weight, I would want an arrow that weighs atleast 350 grains (including bh or field point)..

Now, not only is arrow weight important, but to shoot properly and have the arrows fly true, you will need to see what spine arrow you would need.. This can be figured out if you give a draw length, draw weight, arrow length as well as what weight tip you put on your bow.. (this is where TFOX and SC can help)

Additionally, If you go to any bow shop that knows anything at all they should be able to set you up properly.. proper spine-proper weight--all that good stuff...

Hope that holds you over until TFOX or SC can jump in..

Last edited by fingerz42; 09-02-2009 at 01:37 PM.
Old 09-02-2009, 01:56 PM
Spike

Ok thanks a lot for the prompt replies. Did not realize everything involved here with arrow selection. As far as the draw length and weight I *think* he said the weight was at 65 but i will double check. as far as the length I have no clue but Ill find out and post the info when I get home.

Thanks again !
Old 09-03-2009, 05:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I prefer arrows with some weight to them.You'll get better penetration on game,less noise from the bow and they're easier on the bow since they soak up more of the energy.I would also suggest using heads of 100-125grs for the same reasons plus arrows seem to shoot more consistently with a bit more weight up front.