Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Weird pin gap.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:45 AM
Typical Buck

Question Weird pin gap.

I shoot an HHA slider so a single vertical pin with yardage markers for 20,30,40,50 and 60. I would think (probably wrong) that the spacing between my yardage markers would be somewhat symetrical with of course a widening gap for the longer yardages. What's weird is my gap from 30-40 is noticeably wider than my gap from 40-50 or 50-60. Seems like my arrow decelerates more from 30-40 than any other distance. I shoot a "lot" and know that my yardage markers are spot on and just wondered if there's a logical explanation for this. Inquiring minds want to know and I know there's a "lot" smarter guys on here that might know the answer.

Dan
Old 08-31-2009, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you were shooting real feathers.... or a fairly strong helical that would usually be the case Dan.

The only other thing that leaps into my mind is that at longer ranges you might be referencing a different part of your pin.... meaning for example that I personally use the very tip top of my pin at 25 yards and less... but past thirty I tend to blot my target out with my pin.... shooting with both eyes open I feel makes you more accurate in general.... but you have to learn your own little nuancies (I shoot with both eyes open.. which is why I wrote this).
Old 08-31-2009, 06:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Arrow Drop

Hey Dan,

I really hope this doesn't turn into a forum-wide discussion about the laws of physics because they make for powful painful readin. Anyway, I don't believe it's possible for the arrow to drop more at closer than farther ranges. There, I said it.

Could it have something to with the fact that the sight rotates slightly in order to 'slide'?

I assume your ranges are accurately measured.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kwilson16
Hey Dan,

I really hope this doesn't turn into a forum-wide discussion about the laws of physics because they make for powful painful readin. Anyway, I don't believe it's possible for the arrow to drop more at closer than farther ranges. There, I said it.

Could it have something to with the fact that the sight rotates slightly in order to 'slide'?

I assume your ranges are accurately measured.

Re-reading everything... I have a better understanding of the question... maybe thats cause I just woke up and I'm fresh in the mind...

Feathers have a greater decel rate than vanes do... they are faster out of the gate, but then nose dive in comparision past 30-35 yards..... I guess that wouldn't explain when he is flatter at 40-50 than he is at 30-40.

I reckon my second stab was a bit closer then...

All I gotta say Dan is if she drives good... then drive her!
Old 09-01-2009, 05:16 AM
Typical Buck

Andy, I think your second "stab" (the way I use my pins at longer yardages) is probably the best answer. I'm shooting really well rt. now so it's pedal to the medal.

KW- I use my rangefinder to set my yardages. I've never actually checked it. I figure whatever it tells me is what i'm going to shoot in the woods anyways so why bother. I don't want to complicate this too much and thought that maybe there was a logical explanation so no physics coming from me. I never made it to Physics in HS so I'd be out of the equation anyways.

Dan
Old 09-01-2009, 05:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

How is your Front of Center on your arrows?
Old 09-01-2009, 06:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

It could also be that in order to shoot longer distances you naturally have to anchor just a bit different and may be looking through the peep just a little different---because of the angle for shooting that far.

I know I used to do this when shooting field. I had to adjust my peep for short distances so I was looking through it on the high side so that I was looking through the center for the long shots. It wasn't much, but it did make a difference.

Now whether this has any bearing on the sight marks I couldn't say. That was over 30 years ago and my brain doesn't function well with the past. Too busy living today.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:25 AM
Typical Buck

Jeff- my FOC is 11.3% according to AA. I haven't actually figured it out manually. I'd like it to be a bit more but I'm really shooting well and the season is closing fast so I don't want to change anything rt. now. I'm kind of into the "just shoot" and "don't think" phase of my season prep. It's all systems go.

Dan
Old 09-01-2009, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mfd1027
Jeff- my FOC is 11.3% according to AA. I haven't actually figured it out manually. I'd like it to be a bit more but I'm really shooting well and the season is closing fast so I don't want to change anything rt. now. I'm kind of into the "just shoot" and "don't think" phase of my season prep. It's all systems go.

Dan

That sounds like plenty of FOC to me- I was thinking if it was too light up front you may be experiencing the issues you are with the gap.

Barry's post is something to look at as well.

TBH-if you are shooting lights out, I would not question it and be happy
Old 09-01-2009, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BGfisher
It could also be that in order to shoot longer distances you naturally have to anchor just a bit different and may be looking through the peep just a little different---because of the angle for shooting that far.

I know I used to do this when shooting field. I had to adjust my peep for short distances so I was looking through it on the high side so that I was looking through the center for the long shots. It wasn't much, but it did make a difference.

Now whether this has any bearing on the sight marks I couldn't say. That was over 30 years ago and my brain doesn't function well with the past. Too busy living today.
Bingo!

You are probably just changing your anchor point when you make larger moves with the sight... Do you line the sight housing up in the peep everytime??? If so, then you are mildly changing your anchor point with distance. Most people never notice the affects, but maybe you are changing a bit more than you think. If you are shooting well, I wouldnt worry about it.

Physically, it is w/out a doubt IMPOSSIBLE for the arrow to accelerate once it is a few feet from the bow. The only way that could happen is if a sudden 100+mph wind gust came from behind. And that still probably couldnt accelerate it, just slow down the decel. Even if your FOC was super low, and your bow was WAYYY out of tune, it couldnt happen.

Let em' fly!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.