Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Sometimes I just want to punch people in the face

Old 08-31-2009, 06:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by wis_bow_huntr
I spent around $400 on my new bow total this year and have $20.00 Easton Epic ST 400's 1/2 doz.....i dont see any issue.....but I do get your point....
The new Nano ST EPICS are VERY consistent shafts and my pick for "best bang for the buck"- they are straighter, tougher and spine more consistently than ICS Hunters, hold their spine much better and not a whole lot of green more. I've been shooting some myself for the past sveral months.

But as many pointed out this fellow bought himself a high dollar premium setup and then decides to cheap out the part of the equation that will be the biggest factor in potential accuracy and forgiveness. Yes- if you are on a budget, by all means stick to your budget- I totally understand the need for sticking to a budget- and I never try to steer customers off to super expensive crap they don;t need when they are on that budget. Bowhunters are better off skimping on the bow, quiver, stabilizer & sight (even the least expensive sights these days are solid with bright pins).

But don't skimp on your rest, or your arrows.

P.S. I'm not mentioning any names, cos there's always that one guy who says "I shoot 3" groups at 125 yards with my Wal-Mart arrows!" .
Old 08-31-2009, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

While I somewhat see your point Jeff, I'm a very FRUGAL hunter myself. I pay on average about $65/dozen for my arrows once I have them finished out, but they are also .003 straightness, and quite consistent.....

3 of 15 I've shot with the same arrows, all 3 of these were shot with different bows.

But if the arrows he's buying are inconsistent spine and straightness wise, then he's certainly wasting his time.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by The Rev
Reminds me of the dummys that put $2,000.00 wheels on $400.00 cars.
Hahaha....

And how about putting a $20 set of rings and bases on a $1000 rifle to hold on a $120 scope? That has always been one of my favorites.... along with shooting $20 ammunition.

From the other side of my hunting world (waterfowl)... it would be buying a $1600 shotgun, shooting 3.5" shells at $40+ a box, hunting over $150/dozen decoys, carrying a $150 call (that they don't know how to use and use way too much) and spend ZERO time scouting where the ducks are and what they are relating too.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by OHbowhntr
While I somewhat see your point Jeff, I'm a very FRUGAL hunter myself. I pay on average about $65/dozen for my arrows once I have them finished out, but they are also .003 straightness, and quite consistent.....
Cabelas arrows are Beman ICS hunters- which is a good shaft on average- they spine pretty well. (nice shooting BTW, loved my old Striker Redline!!!)

But if the arrows he's buying are inconsistent spine and straightness wise, then he's certainly wasting his time.
This is the issue. I've helped plenty of people sight their bows in using these and it's frustrating at times. Too many flyers-even @ 20 yards.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default The Public

It's called dealing with the public. Just try to be happy he spent over $1000.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Although I agree with you Jeff,and I haved preached the same thing plenty of times BUT,why would your shop carry arrows that aren't worth a dime when there are other arrows in the same price range that are quality arrows? Atleast relatively speaking.

I have said it many times over,if on a budget,spend the money on arrows and your arrow rest.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by TFOX
Although I agree with you Jeff,and I haved preached the same thing plenty of times BUT,why would your shop carry arrows that aren't worth a dime when there are other arrows in the same price range that are quality arrows? Atleast relatively speaking.

I have said it many times over,if on a budget,spend the money on arrows and your arrow rest.
We fit all budgets- from the least grade shafting like CX Predator and Easton Troopers up to ACE's X10s, etc from nearly all manufacturers. We carry pretty much the entire line from Easton/Beman and most of CX. We also stock most (older USA made) CT, have some Goldtips, some Victory, and a few other odds and ends like older PSE shafting and custom PO Cedars a local guy makes. That way we can handle the vast majority of requests for a particular arrow.

These particular crappy arrows are tough (thick walls) and people like the price. The company in particular makes some seriously great shafts, just not this particular shaft. The only other shaft we carry in the same price range is no better of a choice as they have their own issues as well**. I do my damndest to put people into at least Beman ICSH for a bit more $- but some folks just won't pay more for arrows :shrug: I see it nearly every day I'm there. Most of them look at you like you are trying to con them.

As I did not sell the person this setup (just put it together for him once the appropriate size cam came in)- I was not around to offer any other choices- I have a feeling he realized was hitting the top of the budget, and cheaped out on shafts.

**For that matter we carry some other big name brand arrows that are quite a bit more expensive and not a whole lot better
Old 09-01-2009, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

that does kinda make no since.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:35 PM
Typical Buck

Just like the $850 for the bow. The least important item IMO. All a bow does is launch an arrow at a given velocity. That's what they all do. And there are lots of $400-$500 bows that wioll do the same thing as that expensive one.
That might be the stupidest statement I've ever read on this forum. I mean really, the original poster sold a high dollar bow, then let the guy walk out with crappy arrows? Really JeffB? He's on a budget and that what you give him out the door? Nothing like educating the customers. Getting them into bow hunting. What a thread!
Old 09-01-2009, 07:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by valor10
That might be the stupidest statement I've ever read on this forum. I mean really, the original poster sold a high dollar bow, then let the guy walk out with crappy arrows? Really JeffB? He's on a budget and that what you give him out the door? Nothing like educating the customers. Getting them into bow hunting. What a thread!

I think you need to read this thread again.Jeff didn't even sell the bow.

Jeff,I understand the shop carries all price ranges but if you have low end shafts that are good quality,why even carry the ones that are not.I would have to tell the rep or whoever that I won't carry that kind of quality.

I realize the shop has to carry low end,just make them the highest quality you can find in that price range.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.