Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Somebody help me?!?!?

Old 08-27-2009, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Somebody help me?!?!?

Before i start rambling my setup is the following:

07' Bowtech Guardian
60lbs
Trophy Taker Shaky Hunter dropaway
Gold Tip Arrows

My probelm:

About a week ago, i took the bow and had the string changed and new limbs added (dropped from the original 70lb to 60lb). Two days after the string change, i shoot the bow for the first time. I shot probably 150 arrows with absolutely no probelms at all...everything was working smoothly and i was shooting nice tight groups. Fast forward a day, begining another pratice session, I take two shots. I shoot the third arrow and my peep sight competely seperates itself out of the string. The tubing doesn't break, its still completey intact except the peepsight itself is now dangling loose on the end of the tubing. Took the bow back and had it reset. Return to shoot again, the exact same thing happens again. Now i am pissed, i never had an issue before they got ahold of my bow. I reset the peep on my own, and removed the serving that was tying it it, when i draw the bow slowly i can watch the peep walking up the string for several inches. It's not moving a little bit, its moving alot. What could be causing this? I believe its sliding upward each time i draw until it hits the serving (ment to keep it in place) then flying out?? I've been shooting for years and never seen anything like this..any ideas?
Old 08-27-2009, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

What kind/brand of string? Sounds like

A) it doesn't have enough twists in it

B) The peep tubing is way too short (causing way too much tension at full draw) '

and/or

C) That they just don't know how to tie in a peep securely.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff,

It's a winner's choice string. I am going to pic up some extra tubing tonight and try a longer piece. Should the peep be moving that much each time the bow is drawn though?
Old 08-27-2009, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Pa Trophy Man
Jeff,
It's a winner's choice string. I am going to pic up some extra tubing tonight and try a longer piece. Should the peep be moving that much each time the bow is drawn though?
Winner's Choice are very slippery/hard to get serving to "grip to". I've had to re-tie a few peeps on customers bows as well because of that (even peeps without tubing) I thought my way of doing things was pretty secure, it had worked for me in the past, but the knots moved up/down anyway. I've since been more diligent and gone to a slightly different method that is a bit more secure the shop tech/owner showed me.

I'm getting ready to put a WC string on my Commander tomorrow and you can be danged sure I'll be really clamping down on that SOB!
Old 08-27-2009, 09:23 AM
Fork Horn

+1
set your peep, serve it with bees wax on the serving to cinch it down, if that doesnt work, Pliobond is wonderful stuff.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

id try a new tube or go to another shop and have them tie it in
Old 08-27-2009, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by JeffB
Winner's Choice are very slippery/hard to get serving to "grip to". I've had to re-tie a few peeps on customers bows as well because of that (even peeps without tubing) I thought my way of doing things was pretty secure, it had worked for me in the past, but the knots moved up/down anyway. I've since been more diligent and gone to a slightly different method that is a bit more secure the shop tech/owner showed me.

I'm getting ready to put a WC string on my Commander tomorrow and you can be danged sure I'll be really clamping down on that SOB!
Jeff,

What makes you say that WC strings are slippery like that? Only reason I ask is that strings from WC are made from the same material as everybody else. These days it's almost always 452X or 8125. If nobody else is having this problem then why would WC?

From everything I've read on a lot of forums Bowtech has pretty good strings on their bows and peep rotation shouldn't be much of a problem. Therefore I would suggest Pa. Trophy Man try a tubeless peep and forget about the tube altogether. It shouldn't be that hard to find out if it would work. He could use his present peep without attaching the tube to see if there is any rotation. If there is no rotation then the answer would be pretty clear to me.

If he must have a tube then get a longer one and serve it in properly and he should not experience the sliding up the string. Of course, considering his problems so far I would consider a different shop. If the tube is too short then they should have picked up on this.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:31 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by BGfisher
Jeff,

What makes you say that WC strings are slippery like that? Only reason I ask is that strings from WC are made from the same material as everybody else. These days it's almost always 452X or 8125. If nobody else is having this problem then why would WC?

From everything I've read on a lot of forums Bowtech has pretty good strings on their bows and peep rotation shouldn't be much of a problem. Therefore I would suggest Pa. Trophy Man try a tubeless peep and forget about the tube altogether. It shouldn't be that hard to find out if it would work. He could use his present peep without attaching the tube to see if there is any rotation. If there is no rotation then the answer would be pretty clear to me.

If he must have a tube then get a longer one and serve it in properly and he should not experience the sliding up the string. Of course, considering his problems so far I would consider a different shop. If the tube is too short then they should have picked up on this.
i have had some pretty short tubes on peeps, and generally the tube will pop out, never had one move on me lol
i like my g5 metapeep though! simple win!
Old 08-27-2009, 12:30 PM
Fork Horn

Go with the G5 tubless. there really is no reason to shoot a tube anymore.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BGfisher
Jeff,

Hey Barry- Its not the material per-se but what they do it- their process of stretching/manufacture/conditioning the fibers makes them like wire-very hard & slick (but not wax-ey). It's hard to get anything to dig in on them (and also why they such rock hard crazy serving). If you order 452X from them (custom) the strings are the same way. It's like teflon on the outside

*this is also what makes them so noisy- there is no "give" left in them. I stopped using them myself despite their benefits- every single bow I've put them on (mine or otherwise) gets significantly louder with them.

As for the "no tube" I'd agree with others and reccomend that as well-I hate the danged things-but I find alot of people just prefer the extra insurance of the tube style-thus why I did not comment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.