Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

JeffB' s Latest Long Boring Bow Report

Old 05-14-2003, 06:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default JeffB' s Latest Long Boring Bow Report

Hello Gentle Readers and Welcome to another installment of JeffB’s Long, Boring, Bow Reports.

As I had promised in my CyberTec report, I plan on keeping future reports less boring and theatrical, and to the point, so let us get on with it!

2003 BOWTECH PRO 40 DUAL CAM

37.75” Axle to Axle. 7.5” measured brace height. 60 pound limbs. Advantage Timber camo dipped finish. Comes standard with Bowtech Hush Kit (Vibrablock limb silencers, string silencers, and cable guard muffler). 65% letoff. Modular PD dual cam system. Sandtrap limb pockets. Listed mass weight of 4.05 pounds. Stainless steel stabilizer bushings front & back. “o2” two color twist string and cables. See the “Performance Test” section for draw lengths.

I have had the bow set up in various configurations: An “offset” string loop (2 tie-in nock points, the lower slightly longer than the upper; loop around them) Stealth Limbsavers, Stealth String Leeches, Vibrablocks pushed down to the limb pockets & a SorboTek stabilizer have been standard accessories, w/ arrow rests & sights varying. Currently the bow is adorned with a Montana Black Gold Trapdoor rest, and a Impact Cosmic Lite moveable pin/scope sight.

FIT & FINISH

This is one of the prettier Bowtech’s I’ve seen as regards to the camo dip finish. My bow had quite a bit of contrast to it: some Timber dipped bows, look a bit like a plain green film dip. Limb sanding quality, pocket fit to riser, and limb to pocket fit as per usual w/ Bowtech is all superb. I did have a few minor finish dings on the sandtrap pockets. Likely they were caused during shipping, as the bow is very tight in the box, the pockets are unprotected, and there were some creases/rough spots on the box precisely where pockets would be in said box. The cams on the other hand are well protected w/ plenty of foam padding.

Axle spacer/cam bushing fit was perfect with no slop on the axle whatsoever, very typical of Bowtech.

As has been noted for the 2003 Bowtech dual cam models, there is some cam-lean present, and what’s more; it’s intentional. The bows are tweaked so that the cams are tracking straight at full draw, but lean slightly at rest. I know the reason given why it is designed this way (so the cable hits it’s track squarely), but I cannot say I’m too keen about it from a design/technical standpoint. In my opinion the cams should both track as straight as possible from brace to full draw and back. I haven’t found it to be detrimental other than aesthetically so far, but I could see how this might lead to quicker cam bushing wear. I suggest Bowtech should look at re-designing this lean out of the cam system for the 2004 models if for nothing more than silencing the critics of this condition.

Aesthetically the Bowtechs have been put on a diet again this year and re-designed for better balance. My DC40 is the nicest balanced Bowtech I’ve owned and for a “long” axle-to-axle bow (not THAT long, but by today’s standards…) is quite light, & “points” very well. Put simply, the machining is very good on cams & riser. In previous years Bowtech has improved noticeably in this regard, and 2003 is no exception, nice job Bowtech! Also new is a set screw lock-down for the carbon cable guard and a new cable slider that will accommodate a fall-away rest which also doesn’t scrape the cable like the 2002 design did.

Some of you are probably wondering and yes, the model designation is a misnomer: originally the Bowtech P40’s WERE 39.5” to 40” axle to axle. Over the past 2 years, the limb angles on the P40/P38’s have been softened to increase brace height and lessen recoil/noise, which shortened the axle to axle and the designations just stayed for some reason or another known only to the people at Bowtech. Technically this bow is closer to a Pro-38 Dual Cam.

For many archers in 2003, prayers were answered by Bowtech. The 2003 models sport a new sleeker grip to replace the rather bulky & somewhat torque-y grip of the past 3 model years. The new wood grip is what I would call “ultra-low” and is very thin at the throat and heel, and is very shallow: it is basically nothing more than a “wood cover” for the riser.

Unfortunately for me personally, Bowtech went from one extreme to the other. After putting several hundred arrows through my DC40, and then playing w/ the old grip on my G3.2, I have to say I prefer last years grip in some ways. An ultra-low flat grip is one of my biggest consistency banes: I’ve always shot most consistently with a medium-low to medium wrist grip. Interestingly enough, I shot my Patriot last year, and my BKII as well w/ no grip, and had no problems whatsoever off the bare riser. Perhaps the riser angle has changed in the grip area this year? I do not know.

That being said, ultra-low grips are very much in vogue these days, and most shooter’s bone structure, and form works better with such a design; those folks will love this new grip. Despite my own hang-ups, It is very comfy. The grip on my DC40 is a beautiful green/grey/brown laminate that is sculpted very well, and sanded very smooth. The Bowtech name is engraved on the grip as well. A call to Loesch and a reminder to the Mrs. about Father’s Day will hopefully net me the fix I need: Either that, or I will just have to make peace with the existing design. I would like to see some grip options for 2004 from Bowtech if possible.

Overall for Fit & Finish I would give my DC40 an 8 to 8.5 out of 10, disregarding the cam lean since it is intentional. The DC40 is a very nice looking and well put together bow.

THE POWER SYSTEM

New for 2003, is Bowtech’s PD dual cam system, which I believe is short for “Pro Dual”. These new cams are a slightly larger and more refined version of the Black Knight dual cams. The PD’s have more precise machining and weight reducing cut-outs than their predecessors. The PD cams also use a new module system that has a more abrupt cable stop track to give a “solid wall” feel at all draw lengths, which the BK cams did not always do.

I have to say right off the bat that I have mixed feelings about these cams. In some ways they are improved, in some ways, I think they have regressed.

The new cams peak much sooner than their predecessors, hold that peak almost all the way back and then drop off fairly smooth considering the amount of energy stored. The BK cams were bit different: they did not peak as early and had a slight back-end buildup that on longer draw lengths or higher draw weights could be pretty wicked feeling.

As of this writing, I think I’d say I still prefer the BKII cams. In my opinion & in my experience, the BK cams had a more comfortable valley, were not as sensitive to out of synch issues, and were user-friendly for those who like to creep tune their dual cam setups. The new PD cams have an even more narrow valley that will get away from you if you creep when the cams are set at higher poundage. At lower poundage (60 or less), the effect is not as drastic, but it is still there. What it boils down to is this: if your draw length is not reasonably close (within a ¼” or so), these cams will bite you. The draw force curve is by no means easy, however the transitions are pretty smooth. For me personally the new PD cams are as extreme as I’m willing to deal with in a cams draw cycle for targets or hunting these days at a 70 pound setting, hence why I chose a 60 pound DC40. A side benefit is that they will keep you honest: If you are overdrawn or overbowed (poundage) slightly, these cams will let you know of the error of your ways!

I’ve also found them a tad sensitive to cam synch, in that it only takes a very minor adjustment to get them back in synch. My personal recommendation is to totally ignore the cable termination posts, and work entirely on the appropriate split harness. E.G: If your top cam needs speeding up, or slowing down, do your adjustments on the split harness at the bottom limb. Again the adjustments are minor. I’ve found most often that one twist in each split of the yoke is all that is needed to bring things back in line, and sometimes just a half twist in each split. It’s very important to note that you should twist up the same amount on each side of the split, and not just one side, as this will affect cam lean.

If one goes in armed with that knowledge, then synching these cams is a snap. Go in trying to mess w/ the cable at the termination post and you are likely to get very frustrated, as you constantly over-compensate by accident.

I should also note that if you are changing draw length modules, it is imperative you tighten the module screws down in the same order for both cams. E.g. if you tighten the screw closest to the string first and then the other on the top cam, you MUST tighten in the same order on the bottom cam otherwise the cams will be out of synch.

The wall on the PD cams is very solid, as solid as any dual I’ve ever felt though still not approaching that of a “limb stop” single-cam. However most hardcore two-cam shooters will be quick to tell you that too solid of a wall is detrimental to proper back tension. I find the wall more than adequate for good accuracy and good back tension.

Tying the cams together is Bowtech’s new “o2” string and cables. These are a two-color twist design that is similar to Winner’s Choice brand strings and cables (which were on Bowtech’s bows the previous two years) in appearance & construction. I love Winners Choice products and IMO they are the best strings/cables I’ve ever had the pleasure of using, but these new 02 strings run a fairly close second. I have had no serving wear, serving separation, and after a very short initial “break-in” period (Bowtech recommends 100 shots or so), I’ve not had to fool with the cam synch or peep twist. I’ve now put about 700 arrows through the bow, with no creep or peep twist since about the 25th arrow shot out of it.

Actually I’d go so far as to say in two ways I’ve actually found the “o2” strings preferable to Winners Choice. One: they are quieter than WC with less “buzz” and vibration, and Two: they do not fuzz up and require waxing as often.

I was very leery of the change away from WC at first, but now I’m fairly unconcerned. Six of one, half a dozen of the other: A quieter string that requires a minimal break in period, or a louder string that requires virtually none. Some folks will prefer the former, some the latter.

Limbs, as is standard for Bowtech are Gordon’s Compression Molded solid straight design made to Bowtech’s specifications. As I mentioned before, they are cut and sanded quite well.

PERFORMANCE TESTING

Out of the box, the DC40 measured 61 pounds peak draw weight and was equipped with 28” draw length modules that yielded 28.25 to 28 3/8” AMO draw length. This measurement was much better than my Dual Cam Patriot that was virtually 1” too long (though the problem was later rectified when I found out the wrong length harness and string were installed in error). Exact AMO draw lengths are nice and I prefer them, but this kind of small discrepancy does not concern me too much, however anything more than what the DC40 came up at annoys me (and as it seems, the general archery populace) greatly.

I ran the bow through the Chronograph w/ Hush Kit silencers, Vibrablocks, Limbsavers and an offset loop installed (no peep) and the bow yielded the following results:

416 grain Carbon Express Terminator Select 45/60: 263 FPS, initial KE of 63.9 foot pounds

340 grain Carbon Express 200: 285 FPS, initial KE of 61.3 foot pounds

While the numbers are very good for a 7.5” brace, 61 pound, 28.25” draw bow, it surprised me a bit in the opposite way I had expected. Based on my experience w/ the BKII cams, I expected a bit less speed out of the heavier arrow, and a bit more out of the lighter arrow.

I then removed the Bowtech string silencers, installed Stealth Leeches as far away from the middle of the string as possible, and also popped in a Fletcher tru-peep.

The bow was noticeably quieter, and registered the same speeds with both arrows.

With a tie in nock and nothing else on the string my DC40 should hit 300 FPS and probably will go a bit over. With the string loaded as it is, speeds around the mid 290’s sound about right @ 5 grains per pound.

A week or so later I got my hands on some 29” modules (as I found the 28” draw length a bit too short for me, even after increasing my loop length significantly). After playing with the bow a bit I was able to eek out 63 pounds of draw weight (I over-rotated the cams) and in this over-rotated state the 29” modules yield 29 5/8” AMO draw length. Which surprisingly fit me well after some modifications to my loop length and tweaking my Carter One-shot.

I have not been able to chrono the bow since I received the 29” modules & tweaked the poundage as my back is currently on the mend after a re-injury a few weeks ago. However, I did shoot it quite a bit afterwards and I can say the performance increase was significant based on sight settings & visual clues, not to mention that both of my test arrows were found to be under-spined for after the switch. I would guesstimate, based on my experience with the BK cams I tried at 28” and 29” draw lengths last year (along with the increased poundage) that I garnered 12-14 FPS if not more. Not very scientific I know, but I’m fairly confident in that guesstimate. When I’m able, I plan to get some concrete numbers online for folks.

At any rate: As is usual with Bowtech, top-notch performance.

SHOOTING

Once one gets through the stiff draw cycle, you come to a nice stop and a bow that holds on target very easily. I cannot say that it holds steadier than my BKII did, but that might be just a function of heavier mass weight of the latter.

Recoil level on the Sims gear equipped DC40 with very light arrows is low to moderate, and a bit of vibration is present. I think I‘d have to give the DC40 the edge in lower vibration, and lower recoil edge to the BKII (again probably due to it’s greater mass weight). The DC40 is pleasant to shoot, but is not on the same level as some of the parallel limb designs of today like the DC Patriot, SC Patriot, Mathews Q series or Legacy, etc. Recoil score is 7. Vibration 7.5

Noise level is louder than average, but not terribly so. It is plenty quiet for white-tail hunting IMO as long as one doesn’t want to 5 grain it. I think the BKII might have been a touch quieter. Noise score @ 5 grains w/ Sims products is a 6.5. At typical hunting arrow weights (six grains per pound) I’d say 7.5, and jumping up to a score of 8 for seven grains per pound plus setups. This is based on the 29” draw modules. When equipped w/ 28” modules it’s quieter. I would assume @ 30” of draw plus, it would be louder still, but with the speed being generated, one could easily shoot @ 7 to 8 grains per pound and still have a fast & fairly quiet hunting set-up.

But for most archers these days the DC40 will likely not be toted along to the treestand but instead to the archery range, and that is where it comes into it’s element. As is typical of a good dual cam, the DC40 will put ‘em where you point every-time: no mystery arrows. It’s more accurate than most folks including myself will ever be. It likes stiff arrows to be sure, and once the proper arrow is found & tuned in I highly suggest one does NOT try to shoot groups with the bow unless one has plenty of money for replacement arrow shafts. So apparently the cam lean is not a problem for accuracy at least up to the 50-yard distance I have shot the bow at. A cursory glance on the ArcheryTalk forums in the past several weeks will yield plenty of similar accolades from DC40 shooters of all stripes: this bow will flat out SHOOT! Due to its slightly longer length, moderate reflex riser, and good brace height, people are finding it very forgiving: the only thing holding one back w/ the DC40 is one’s own capability. I have a feeling that once I get the custom grip that is more to my needs, the DC40 will surpass even the BKII op2 & 2003 CyberTec for consistency in my hands.

NITPICKS

I have a few nitpicks all of which I mentioned before:

The cam lean, though seemingly a moot point as far as accuracy goes, bugs me. IMO, a $700+ bow should not have any easily noticeable cam lean regardless if it has an effect on accuracy/tuning or not.

The grip. Honestly I really cannot complain. People (including myself) B&M’ed about the old grip and Bowtech listened. The change was a bit too drastic IMO, but for most people it will not be an issue whatsoever, and you certainly cannot please everyone. But I’m picking nits, so I’m putting it in here! Ha!

Noise: I find Bowtech’s 60 pound dual cam bows very acceptable noise-wise with most arrow weights at the draw lengths I’ve tested. However, the 70 pound 2003 Bowtech dual cam bows, even with solid accessories and Sims gear, are too loud for my own tastes in a hunting bow unless shooting 7 grains per pound plus (which negates some of the speed advantage if that is what an archer is looking for). This needs to be remedied if Bowtech truly wishes their dual cam bows to compete with & surpass single cams and the newer hybrid cam systems, in the hunting bow market.

I would like to see better protection for the limb pockets in the shipping box.

The Force draw curve and cam design needs some tweaking. Right now, they are borderline “too much”. Systems like Hoyt’s C.5 are putting out nearly the same speeds in a nicer drawing, more pleasant to shoot package.

CONCLUSION

In conclusion I think the DC40 is a very fine bow, that has the potential for absolute greatness in a longer axle to axle hunting bow but is held back a bit by it’s extreme cam system and slightly noisy shot. In a target/3D application with low poundage, the noise and draw likely will not make much if any difference, and in that regard the bow absolutely shines.

As a near exclusive Whitetail hunting bow w/ the occasional 3D shoot on the side, my overall score would be a 7.5: the slight noise and stout cams hurt the score slightly.

As a Hunting bow with some fairly heavy 3D applications, overall score would be an 8, as it’s a phenomenal 3D bow spec-wise, is fast, drives tacks, and is not a poor choice for hunting by any means. In particular it should do well for those western game hunters who like a bit more speed, length, & stability for those longer shots on elk, ‘lopes, muleys, and such.

As a 3D bow w/ some indoor spots on occasion, my score would be a 9. IMO, this is the DC40’s ultimate application.

As a true spot bow, my overall score would be an 8 to 8.5. The pure-accuracy is there, but the bow really needs another 3 to 5 “ of axle to axle length and another ½” plus of brace height to pull in that last bit of forgiveness needed for heavy duty competition.

I would also like to make some general comments here on the 2003 line from Bowtech. I think Bowtech has gone to great lengths to respond to its customers: both dealers & shooters. They have aggressively attacked most issues, and made them non-issues by simply fixing what needed to be fixed and improving what needed to be improved, and they continue to listen & learn. I’m very appreciative of how accessible they have been to the “average joe”, compared to nearly ever other bow manufacturer I’ve dealt with at one time or another as a retailer and an end-user.

For all the big improvements though, I think Bowtech really needs to take a step back while drawing up the 2004 line, and address a few fundamental issues, namely the cam draw cycles, noise level and lean. It is my opinion that Bowtech would be much better served by smoothing out the cams and making a quieter bow while maintaining existing speeds, instead of pushing the envelope just to eek out a few more FPS, and risk losing shooter comfort and increasing noise further in the process. It’s not a good tradeoff for the vast majority of archers, especially bowhunters. It’s well known that Kevin Strother has some designs that are absolute screamers both in production, and those that when the time is right will be in production. However, I’m not so sure that a majority of archers (regardless of experience level) are ready for, or even want them. Bowtech, in just a few short years has managed to increase it size and popularity exponentially by walking that very fine line of producing a high speed bow that is still very manageable for most archers: a difficult task. Right now, in my opinion they are at a critical turning point. Bowtech can reign themselves in a bit and keep walking that fine-line while addressing some of the fundamentals (noise, draw cycles), or they can get overzealous and cross the line by continuing to push raw speed while ignoring those fundamentals: a path that will only hurt their otherwise bright future.

As a poster on another board mentioned (I’m paraphrasing here) “Bowtech spends way too much time & energy promoting speed. The bows shoot and hold so well, they should be promoting those features instead”.

I wholeheartedly agree.

At any rate, the DC 40 is a fine bow where fine accuracy is concerned. With proper attention to arrow weights it should make a great hunting bow for those who like longer axle to axle lengths and excels in almost any target application.

Old 05-14-2003, 08:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: JeffB' s Latest Long Boring Bow Report

Jeff.
As usual another great report.
But I dont totally agree with you on some aspects
But different strokes for different folks applies here.
My Pro40 is wholely and solely for 3d and maybe and I did say maybe some spot work but I have to overcome the boredom of shooting spots first

I would have ranked the bow a tad higher for the 3d/spot I would say 9.5 to 9.75 but once again different strokes.

I do agree with the draw cycle tho but in all honesty IMO you dont need this bow or any of the other Dual Cam Bowtechs in 70lb as 60lb gives more than enough speed for hunting.

Once again Jeff great report.

Take care of the back old buddy cause you aint getting any younger
Old 05-15-2003, 06:56 AM

Jeff,

Thanks for, as usual, a great bow report. Mine like yours after 50 to 75 shots has had no peep movement. Yea, it is a stiff draw cycle but I am actually beginning to like it after about three weeks of shooting. (60lb limbs with 27" draw length)

The diff is mine will probably be mainly used for hunting and bought especially for this year' s Montana Elk hunt. So based on your comment " it should do well for those western game hunters who like a bit more speed, length and stability for those longer shots on elk, ..." maybe I didn' t do too bad buying a longer a2a speed bow.

Definetly the bow could be quiter, however, I have not installed the sims limbsavers and string leaches yet. Hopefully, this will reduce the noise and yes some of the vibration.

I always look forward to your review and cannot express how grateful, as a newbie, I am for them. I have printed the review and placed it in the packet with it' s birth certificate to be used with any possible timing problems, if that lets you know how important it is to me!!
Old 05-15-2003, 12:09 PM

Thanks for the great report Jeff, though a little conservative compared to my findings I put a set of PD2 modules on my Pro 40 DC today and chronoed a 356 grain arrow at 304 fps. A 546.4 grain 2315 went 254 fps for over 78 foot pounds of K.E. All this from a 61 pound / 30 inch actual draw AMO {measured} target bow.
My black and pewter target Pro 40 DC' s fit and finish is absolutely great! I can' t fit a single piece of paper between the limb and pocket, top or bottom. Being somewhat of a home machinist I can appreciate just how the bow is put togther. Yes the bow has a somewhat harsh draw cycle but everything is returned to the arrow with authority. Accuracy is great with this bow and IMO it would satisfy any top pro' s needs. For hunting, one would find that the Pro40DC would put the arrow on target under pressure with ease and at 37 1/4 inches won' t get in the way.
Very well balanced, very fast, easy to shoot with great accuracy and easy to tune, the Pro40DC will be remembered for a long time to come as a great all around bow.
Old 05-16-2003, 04:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

Jeff,

As always, nice job. What I am really surprised about is the fact that this received 263 views since you posted it and only 3 replies. When you get back from your trip I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on this.

As for the bow itself....ya know how I feel about long axle to axle length models...though if I should ever get the urge to go back into serious 3D or even start spot shooting then the Pro 40 would probably be my number one choice.

Thanks again.
Old 05-16-2003, 06:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

OK, Frank, here' s another reply!

Great report as usual. The problem that I have with Jeff' s reports is that I usually want to buy the bow he reviews!

I was encouraged by the fact that I am not giving up much in performance to his 28" bow, although I am drawing 30" .

Then Russ gets on and his 30" , 60# bow is really putting out some serious energy![]

I think I will continue with my cheap bow that can shoot better than I can though. Maybe next year, I will spring for a Pro 40 DC , an Ultra tec, or maybe one of the new Mavericks that Len was talking about.
Old 05-16-2003, 10:55 AM

JoePA, if you ever get a chance to shoot one decked out in either hunting mode or full on target you' ll want one, I' ll guarantee you. Just shooting the bow bare as one might in an archery shop, you' ll maybe think it' s harsh drawing and a little noisy. Once set up to your specific draw length and weight adjusted to your liking, you' ll find that this bow optimises your personal strength for speed and power. Shoot this bow 25 times with a few Simms accessories and you' ll be hooked
It will be interesting to see what BowTech comes up with for ' 04!! Will they turn their marketing towards comfort and ultimate accuracy and sacrifice some speed and power??? Maybe we' re seeing the last of the fastest bows this year but I hope not I like power
Old 05-18-2003, 12:20 AM
Typical Buck

Jeff,

Good to see you' re back at it with another good report!

Sag.
Old 05-21-2003, 02:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

THANKS JEFF! Very good and thorough report--i for one am glad to have someone taking the time to do the hands on and then pass on their honest opinion--thanks again
Old 05-21-2003, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just a stupid question here. Where does the 40 come into play in the bows name (pro40)? I always assumed it was ata but if thats the case then is the pro38 actually 36" ata? And if so , does anyone know why they named them pro40 and pro38?

Quick Reply: JeffB' s Latest Long Boring Bow Report

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.