Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

JeffB' s Latest Long Boring Bow Report

Old 05-21-2003, 07:31 PM

Default RE: JeffB' s Latest Long Boring Bow Report

I' d bet Pro 40 means don' t shoot this bow at a target closer than 40 yards or you' ll think you' re a pro
I shot mine today after the wind went down at 80 and 90 yards and this bow shoots absolutely dead straight. I had much more vertical stringing, which is my problem, than horizontal. If I could only hold my elevation, I' d be getting under 5 inch groups at 90 yards at 295 fps arrow speed. Try one today!!
Old 05-21-2003, 07:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

)
Bowfanatic, Here' s the quote explaining this odd phenomenon.

Some of you are probably wondering and yes, the model designation is a misnomer: originally the Bowtech P40’s WERE 39.5” to 40” axle to axle. Over the past 2 years, the limb angles on the P40/P38’s have been softened to increase brace height and lessen recoil/noise, which shortened the axle to axle and the designations just stayed for some reason or another known only to the people at Bowtech. Technically this bow is closer to a Pro-38 Dual Cam.
And you are CLOSE with regards to the single cam Pro40 and Pro38 ......they would be closer if they were named the Pro39 and Pro37 , but YUCK! [X(]
As Jeff said, as limb angles are flattening it is changing the geometry, but they are keeping the names the same because IMO people have started to relate to certain model names ........maybe next year the names will be a little more representative of the actual lengths. I think at bowTech they realize the confusion it can cause for those not familiar with Bowtech so I would not be surprised to see a bunch of changes as this bow line continues to be developed and refined.

Jeff,
Great report.........I kinda miss all the flair and excitement myself.
I want to keep this near the top so that you can answer any questions when you settle in from your vacation.
Also if anyone wants me to provide any pictures of specific components etc. I can snap a few with the digital camera and ad them here.
I am simply enjoying the heck out of my Pro40 Dually. I bought mine for a 3D target bow........and as Jeff mentioned , I too believe this is where this bow really shines. Its funny too because I had the same notion as Jeff regarding it as a hunting bow...........if I hunted out West in wide open terrain and mostly from the ground this would be my #1 choice for a hunting bow as well. It' s just scary accurate.
My only real nit pick with the bow also revolves around the grip........the width feels perfect to me (Very hard to torque yet still not knife edge uncomfortable), I would just like to see it with not quite the straight heel, super low wrist design. As accurate as I have found this bow for myself, I think I could be even MORE consistent with it if I had just a bit more of a grip angle to get a more consistent bone on grip placement.
My string and cables have been so solid its almost silly.........I watch it very closely, and have I' d guess easily 1000+ arrows thru it by now and I haven' t had to twist a single thing since day one out of the box. NOTHING. My cams have been perfectly synch' d , peep is tracking straight and true,and my timing marks have not moved a bit. I have fully expected to have to play with something? Not yet. No fuzzing ,and string noise is definitely quieter than my past BowTech' s with Winner' s Choice . They May not be Winner' s Choice that I had come to trust, but I can' t tell.........the " O2" stuff is still a great addition to an already quality bow.

So who' s gonna start asking some questions about this bow?.........Like Frank said not many replies but a bunch of " reads" (Unless that was just Jeff spying on his report a couple hundred times!?
Old 05-22-2003, 06:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I' m home finally... Now I can play on the puter a little...

As always, great report Jeff...Not quite the star wars theme I remember...But it' s real good...

Hey Matt what' s up with the guy in your signature. He looks like a cowboy gonna rope a calf or something... Oh wait... Maybe thats just this PBR stuff coming out in me... Which BTW, I have a deer hunt scheduled this fall with our PBR rider Tony Mendez...YaaHoo...

Old 05-22-2003, 07:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

Along the lines of what Pat was stating....I think Jeff made a major error in not including a little extra narrative. Considering his affinity for sci-fi/fantasy I think he should have went with a Matrix:Reloaded theme this time...
Old 05-22-2003, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, Jeff, you have done it. I have succumbed![]

Of course, I took the cheap way out as I often do. I' m getting a used Pro 38 Dual Cam. Got an excellent deal, just need to get other modules and I will be set.
Old 05-22-2003, 09:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hello All.

Sorry for the delay, I left town for a vacay not long after I put the report up. I’ma bit swamped at work but just wanted to make a few quick comments so people do not think I’m ignoring them

Ausie: Russ, Thanx for the compliments. Yes, a lot of the “differences” are strictly “IMO” type things.

cpahunter: Wow, you printed it out?! I’m flattered! Thanx for the compliments. I think you made a very good choice for your intentions!

Wwag: Russ.. Do not forget that the #2’s are a 30” draw on the DC40. However I’m very anxious to get to a chrono just to see how the #3’s compare. Thanx!

Frank: I suspect there could be several reasons. 1) People are sick of my reports 2) More precisely, I think most folks on the forum would prefer a bit more variety than the “standard” Bowtech, Hoyt, and Mathews threads/reports. I myself would prefer that as well, unfortunately I don’t have access to as many lines as I once did, nor the amount of funds as I once did. I find myself now more “choosey” as to what I pick, instead of just saying “ hey, I’d like to try that X (insert less popular bow brand here). I’m looking into posting a review on my 2K2 PSE Enforcer just for varieties sake (and it’s a damn good bow to boot!), and also looking into procuring a review bow for a brand I have yet to report on (though I and the forum members are very familiar with). 3) I think in general people are not posting as much as they used to. I know I am not.

Joe: heh heh..I’ve heard that complaint several times before…apparently I’m on several forum member’s wives personal “$h!T List”.

Sag: Thanx!

Jsaker: Thank you, and you are quite welcome.

Bowfanatic: I think Matt answered your question.

Matt: Thanx Buddy! And you and I are “spot on” as regards to the grip. It’s just needs a bit higher profile AFAIC, this is why I prefer last years (2002) grip, as it was more medium wrist in profile. However it was too bulky in areas it should not have been. And no I wasn’t upping the “read” count, LOL. Didn’t even have access to the ‘puter for 5 days.

Pat: Thanx for the compliment. No, definitely not like the Star Wars one. Those take more time than I have these days to write, and I tend to believe most forum-goers prefer the more direct approach of my CyberTec report, though I admit, these cut-and dried ones are more boring to me.

Frank: Interestingly enough I have yet to see the original Matrix let alone the sequel. I prefer more classic Fantasy & Sci-Fi, and AFAIC the only movie I’d pay to go see right now is X2. But even more exciting is the soon to be released “League of Extraordinary Gentleman”. That 1930’s Pulp/Horror/Steam-Punk mix is a genre that has always been extremely appealing to me, and I’ve heard many good things about the novels.

Joe: LOL! Ask Matt, the P38 DC was/is an excellent choice!! A bit less refined machining but a very accurate shooting bow w/ some serious speed. I see people snatching them up on Ebay all the time. Just make sure that you get the right modules. The Black Knight mods for the 2001 line, and the Pro38 dual cam modules for the 2001 line are NOT the same!