Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Problems with equipment or poor form ?

Old 08-26-2009, 11:09 AM
Spike

Default Problems with equipment or poor form ?

About three weeks ago bow started shooting left. I moved my sights to fix it. After I would shoot a couple of days I would start shooting to the right. I moved my sights back to original place and would shoot dead on. After a couple of more days it would go back to the left again. Been shooting for 4 years and have not had a problem like this. Is there something in particular I can check on my bow for this problem or could it be just poor form? By the way I paper tuned to check that and it was still tuned shooting bullet holes. Would appreciate any suggestions.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:31 AM
Typical Buck

Definitely sounds like something you are doing rather than your bow to me. Maybe you are gripping different or anchoring different. you have to move your sight when you are shooting one way and then you go back to how you were shooting/holding before and then you have to move your sight back to where you started. No coincedence you keep ending up back at your original sight mark.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:17 PM
Spike

Thanks for the feed back. As usual something I did. For some reason I was appyling torque to my bow. Bow is shooting great now.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Good form on problem

It's always better to be 200 % sure on your form, and avoid the costly bills, from getting and getting new equipment.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:56 AM
Spike

No doubt about that.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd say it's form related, too. If the bow started shooting to one side and the culprit was some change in the bow it would continue to shoot to that side and maybe continue getting worse.

You say you never had this problem before. By any chance did you change bows? If so maybe your new one has more reflex than before. Maybe the draw length isn't set just quite right for you making you vary your form to accomodate it.

I'd play around shortening it and/or lengthening it about 1/4" and see if this helps make you more consistent. If you go this route then give it about a week of shooting to give your body and mind time to adjust.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not sure if anyone else has noticed this or not, but I personally shoot with both eyes open... and put all my focus on my target.

If I am shooting inside, or at night under the lights outside, at 20 yards I will shoot almost a perfect 2" to the left of where my arrows hit under normal sunlight.
Old 08-29-2009, 01:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SwampCollie
Not sure if anyone else has noticed this or not, but I personally shoot with both eyes open... and put all my focus on my target.

If I am shooting inside, or at night under the lights outside, at 20 yards I will shoot almost a perfect 2" to the left of where my arrows hit under normal sunlight.
Yes, I've had this happen, too. Different lighting going from outside to inside and back out can have that effect, but only by an inch or two. Over time guys like you and I learn to recognize this and adjust accordingly.

Brewer didn't say anything about whether he was alternating from outside to inside.
Old 08-29-2009, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BGfisher
Brewer didn't say anything about whether he was alternating from outside to inside.

Nope.... just an little FYI or BTW that his post made me think of.
Old 08-29-2009, 06:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by SwampCollie

I used to have this problem real bad,then I quit using red pins and it isn't the issue it used to be.

I might get a little if I am outside shooting and the sun is going down and the sunlight is coming in from the side,right at dark.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.