Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

HOW OFTEN DO YOU CHANGE STRINGS?

Old 05-15-2003, 04:49 PM

Default RE: HOW OFTEN DO YOU CHANGE STRINGS?

I changed my string on my personal bow after the season was over in February. I just changed it twice 2 days ago.

Realistically, 5000 shots or two years is about average, whichever comes first. It also depends on how well you keep the string waxed and the amount of abuse it takes in the field. And, if you' re shooting down around 5 grains per pound, you might want to consider a quicker change.

Cable change is usually less frequent unless you have a one cam bow that eats the serving.
Old 05-16-2003, 07:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Len, how do you know when you reach 5000 ????
Old 05-16-2003, 09:34 AM

BobCo19-65, that' s a really silly question. You must not pay attention to your shot-meter. Always reset it when you outfit your bow with new strings and/or cables and put a little sticker on your bow showing the date and the shotmeter setting.

I make all my own strings and replace them whenever they show any signs of wear and I shoot a lot so I change my strings sometimes more than once a year just because... well, just because. ;o)

I' m a big fan of 450+ material and Halo serving. The stuff is bullet proof and wears like iron. No creep, no stretch, no fuzz and no string rotation. What more can you ask for?
Old 05-16-2003, 10:28 AM
tm
Fork Horn

Whenever I change bows-about 6 times a year or so my wife says. Seriously, I also make mine so change them whenever they look like they need it.