Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Making strings??????

Old 05-16-2003, 07:18 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Making strings??????

BTM-

I disagree that you don' t save any money making your own strings. Have you looked at the price of some " custom" strings out there? Want to spend approaching $100 for a set of Winner' s Choice? I' ll make my own for a fraction of that, and I feel that are comparable in quality as well. Prestreched, custom colors, no peep rotation, served under tension. A 1/4lb spool of string can make around 8 sets of strings/cables for an average bow. That 1/4lb spool is about $35-40, plus the end-serving and center-serving thread.
Old 05-16-2003, 08:59 AM
CG

I agree with Black Frog......I definately save money on strings....Even if you find a good custom maker that is reasonable, it' ll cost you $30+ for a one cam string....I bet I have about $8-$10 in material and an hour of my time in a string and it is as good as WC at $50 a string.....I charge my buddies $10 to build a string or cable and that more than pays for the string and serving material AND the beer they drink while I' m building it .
Old 05-16-2003, 10:41 AM
tm
Fork Horn

CG-wish I was closer. $10.00 and you furnish the beer, sounds like my kinda string maker.
Old 05-16-2003, 11:58 AM
CG

Yeah, I' m a push-over....
Old 05-16-2003, 02:02 PM

Sorry for going back to the basics but I have a couple of questions.

1. when I wrap the string around the post on the jig, can I simply tie the two loose ends together? If not, how do I keep the string end together? Also what knots do you recommend.

2. I want a two colored string. Let' s say I want a 20 strand bow string, do I just use one color and make 5 complete loops around the jig and repeat this process for the second color?

3. Once I get thee end loops served, can I stop serving and twist the string and put it under tension so I can serve it real tight. If I serve it tight without twisting the string, then I won' t have a twist throughout the string (only on the unserved portion).

I hope these questions are clear. I don' t mean to be a problem but I really want to learn how to do this. I just bought a winners choice string for $100. If someone else can do it, so can I. And alot cheaper too. Plus it would be fun since I love to tinker.

Thanks
Old 05-16-2003, 07:15 PM
BTM
Fork Horn

My comment about $0.20/hr was intended to be humorous. Apparently I failed.
Old 05-17-2003, 04:42 AM

RE: Making strings?????? (in reply to buckskin73)

Sorry for going back to the basics but I have a couple of questions.

1. when I wrap the string around the post on the jig, can I simply tie the two loose ends together? If not, how do I keep the string end together? Also what knots do you recommend.

I don' t use knots. Instead of wrapping around the post, cross the tag ends and then wrap back inserting each tag end between the strings 10 or more wraps down the string. You serve over this and that anchors it for you.

2. I want a two colored string. Let' s say I want a 20 strand bow string, do I just use one color and make 5 complete loops around the jig and repeat this process for the second color?

See above, just do it on both ends instead of just one.

3. Once I get thee end loops served, can I stop serving and twist the string and put it under tension so I can serve it real tight. If I serve it tight without twisting the string, then I won' t have a twist throughout the string (only on the unserved portion).

Yes, you can stop and twist the string as desired and then apply your main serving.

I hope these questions are clear. I don' t mean to be a problem but I really want to learn how to do this. I just bought a winners choice string for $100. If someone else can do it, so can I. And alot cheaper too. Plus it would be fun since I love to tinker.

Thanks
Old 05-19-2003, 08:10 PM
Fork Horn

I take back about liking the 8125. Only tried one time and that was on my bow. But even with twisting it up about 25 times more tonight (on top of about 40 twists already in it) it stretched 1/2" . Granted this was a little less then a year old string but it had less then 300 shots on it. Already put the 450 Plus back on. Also went back to the 62 braid. The halo may be good but my release seems to not like it.