Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Somebody help me!

Old 08-24-2009, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Somebody help me!

Ok, the bow has been giving me fits this whole summer and no shops around here know didly squat about fixing the darn issue so my last resort I am coming here haha

Here is the issue:

I shoot a Hoyt Kobalt with 25 inch draw at 47-50 pounds with victory Vforce 600's. I have tried everything under the sky to get my arrows to fly the same with broadheads and field tips all summer and it just doesnt want to happen for me!

I tried buying a new rest, I had a ripcord but after I moved the darn thing to the right so far that it wouldnt go anywhere else I gave up and also the fletchings kept hitting it and I figured that could contribute to the broadheads not flying consistent.

I bought the trophy taker, fletchings still hitting it and broadheads still aint flying right. I dont know what else to do in the arrow rest department.

Now I am considering the spine in the arrow...people said i was overspined some said i was perfect...I give up! I want to get new arrows and give up on the darn victorys cuz even my field tips dont fly good with them. I shot probably 40 arrows and i have my arrows numbered and each arrow did the same thing each time. One hit low, one hit right, 2 flew left and 2 were dead on each time.

Ok folks so pretty much to sum it up, I want to stick with my Muzzy Broadheads and I aint switching to mechanicals. I had carbon express arrows last year and they flew amazing. So I need input...cuz the bow is about to be thrown and I have no good help around this area cuz they all dont have a clue what they are talking about haha

HELP!!!!!
Old 08-24-2009, 03:55 PM
Fork Horn

Sounds like an arrow issue to me, I shoot three fletches of the same color on my arrows because I've found that when I shoot my BH's sometime just turning the nock to the next fletch brings them right in, I think it may have something to do with the inconsistency in the spine of the arrows. Just to check you may want to rotate the nock and see how they fly, as long as the contact issue you described is fixed.

Last edited by gromage1; 08-24-2009 at 04:11 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

You ought to take a vacation to VA beach to chill out.... and drop the thing off in Newport News, VA on your way down 64. I'll fix it for you..... or I'LL throw the thing!

Seriously, it could be any number of things. I don't care what OT2 or any program says.... if anything I think you are weak spined. Call me crazy..... my girlfriend is shooting an Ignition at 25"/45# and shooting 500 Epics with 100gr heads and they fly like freakin' darts and she is grouping BHs at 45 yards.

Your riser may well be bent.... limbs out of whack.... might be torque.... ain't no telling. Without seeing the bow.... I can't say for sure.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SwampCollie
You ought to take a vacation to VA beach to chill out.... and drop the thing off in Newport News, VA on your way down 64. I'll fix it for you..... or I'LL throw the thing!

Seriously, it could be any number of things. I don't care what OT2 or any program says.... if anything I think you are weak spined. Call me crazy..... my girlfriend is shooting an Ignition at 25"/45# and shooting 500 Epics with 100gr heads and they fly like freakin' darts and she is grouping BHs at 45 yards.

Your riser may well be bent.... limbs out of whack.... might be torque.... ain't no telling. Without seeing the bow.... I can't say for sure.
Wow i sure hope its nothing like a bent riser or limbs.....i just bought the darn thing last year! haha

I was thinking about switching to 500 spine arrows. I was shooting carbon express 30/50s arrows from walmart and got better results than the victorys haha
Old 08-24-2009, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

reset your centershot. get stiffer arrows if thats what you want. or you could turn your bow weight down 4 or 5 lbs. your underspined, or having a contact issue.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

My experience with Victory shafts was "meh" at best- they are very consistent around the shaft, but shaft to shaft consistency is poor.....but....You need to eliminate all variables with you, the bow, the rest,and then the arrows (pretty much in that order).

Assuming your form is consistent-

First you need to rule out the fletching clearance problem. It sounds like either your drop-aways are not set up properly and/or the cams may not be synched correctly. On a C.5 system, improper synch can def cause an arrow to crash low into the rest/riser. Also with your very short draw length there can be an issue with the timing of a drop-away (the cable travel is minimal)- there is little margin for error and bounceback can be a real issue.

Assuming all of that is good, arrows being the problem would not surprise me. I would def step up to a 500 class shaft and see what happens. In addition make sure that you are shooting consistently spined arrows, and that your inserts/nocks/shafts are straight. No broadhead will fly well if the insert/shaft/nock is crooked-and the Victory shafts have a real issue with ID/component tolerances (or rather, lack thereof). I would suggest buying a half dozen Beman ICSH, or Easton Epic STs. These are both good values (especially the Epics), and not terribly expensive for a half doz (try www.southshorearchery.com )
Old 08-24-2009, 06:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with Jeff,you have to rule out contact and timing issues.

These arrows are stiff by quite a bit (However,this is not your main issue) you FIRST need arrows that will fly consistant with field points before you even think about broadheads.

You are in need of about a .700 spine.Easton has a Redline shaft that is a .690 and if you cut them to 25" raw shaft,they will be right on the money for 48#'s.Put some good helical feathers on there and all should tune well with broadheads.

If you have time to head southwest a couple hours,I could help you out.

Last edited by TFOX; 08-24-2009 at 06:19 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:00 PM
Fork Horn

I would say tfox and jeff are spot on.
First thing is first tho, check your centershot, and then check your timing on the rest. Bounceback can be cut down by putting a piece of felt under the arm, it will make it quieter too! look on the launcer arm to see where the scuff marks are. and figure out where your arrows are hitting, so you can makes some adjustment, pretty sure you know this, but sometimes i get frustrated and do stupid stuff su just remindin yah, make sure your Co*k feather is up.
i would make a trip to see tfox....your bow will e shooting wonderfully in no time lol
Old 08-25-2009, 06:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Post up a pic of the rest. If it's a TT with the knot, you may be able to slip the knot a touch to get the timing right. If you're having contact issues, NOTHING is gonna fly worth a damn, not that you don't already know that, but just saying. If you were a LEFTY, I have a NAP 2100 I could send you that is probably the EASIEST rest to time I've ever toyed with. My TT are all GREAT rests, once you get that rest set up RIGHT, I think you'll be very happy with it, but until you have it actually set-up RIGHT, it's gonna just make you ANGRY!!! Are there any shops NORTH of you in OH that are worth a darn??? I know Michael at Terminal Velocity in Chilicothe, OH is spoken very highly of, not sure how far that is for you. And there's always a road-trip to see Todd, whom I'm sure could get you fixed up.

I'd be pretty sure that it's not something horrible with the bow like a bent riser, you can rest easy on that, but if it was, rumor has it Todd can even fix that sort of a problem.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:34 AM
Typical Buck

PM sent. Good Luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.