Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How fast is to fast?

Old 05-12-2003, 05:46 PM
Fork Horn

Default How fast is to fast?

With all the new bows topping out in the high 200' s to low 300' s, at what point will the broadhead overtake the fletching for arrow control?
Old 05-12-2003, 07:03 PM

Default RE: How fast is to fast?

Depends allot on size, number of blades, profile. Basically amount of drag and how much it is increased with the speed.
Old 05-12-2003, 07:14 PM

Other factors will be the F.O.C. of the arrow, how well the bow is tuned, size and amount of helical on fletching, and whether you are using fingers or a release.

I don' t think anyone can give you a number that will apply in all situations. In fact , the number is probably at least slightly different for everyone. I would also guess that given the perfect setup and equipment, the maximum speed is probably a lot faster than what we' re shooting now.
Old 05-12-2003, 09:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Interesting question...It wasn' t all that long ago that I read where Chuck Adams wrote that he felt 220 fps was about as fast as a person would want to shoot an arrow with a broadhead and still be accurate. In his defense technology has come a long way since then.

Lots of variables to consider...
Old 05-13-2003, 05:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

I agree with the others that there are many variables that affect this particular situation. However, I have also repeatedly heard from " the pros" that speed in the 260-270 fps range is the maximum limit for shooting fixed or replacement blade broadheads accurately. I am assuming that they arrive at this conclusion from repeated personal experience though I would offer that I, along with many others, have been able to achieve reasonably accurate groupings in excess of this " speed limit" . I believe the key to this being extensive broadhead tuning and good shooting form.

Just my thoughts.