Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Mathews bow

Old 05-11-2003, 06:55 PM

Default Mathews bow

I' m looking to buy a mathews bow mainly for hunting but also for 3D competition. With a draw length of 29 inches I' m concern about my precision when I realize that the three models that I' m interested (LX, Legacy and Icon) have respestively axle-to-axle length of 35, 34 and 37.

Is there somebody interested to give me any feedback on this. I tend to go with the Icon, what do you think is the best choice?

Thanks
Old 05-11-2003, 07:48 PM
tm
Fork Horn

Default RE: Mathews bow

The best thing to do would be to shoot all 3 side by side and then decide. For me the lack of a valley in the Icon made it hard to shoot. The Legacy shot like a longer bow due partly to the longer riser and was my pick-until I shot the LX. Faster, just as smooth and maybe a touch of recoil, but easily handled with a good stabilizer. Now that' s just for me and you may feel totally different so try them all.
Old 05-24-2003, 04:49 PM
Typical Buck

I shot all three before settling on the Legacy. If you shoot fingers, I would look hard at the Icon. If you shoot with a release, look closer at the LX and the Legacy. Proud owner of a Mathews Legacy. [:-]
Old 05-24-2003, 09:25 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 05-25-2003, 09:26 PM

I really like my Legacy. Accurate, smooth, and quite bow that performs well when hunting.
Old 05-26-2003, 11:32 AM

Although it may not be the top of the Mathews line the FX isn' t called the bowhunter' s bow for nothing. Not too heavy and it is a quiet, fast, accurate and forgivable bow to shoot.
Old 05-26-2003, 06:26 PM
Fork Horn

I love my sq2 for hunting.....its the ultimate Treestand bow.....and its unbelievably quite....whenever i shoot it around people they always comment on how silent it is. Check them out.
Old 05-27-2003, 06:01 AM

I' ve looked at all 3 extensively , as well as owned several other Mathews models. And the LX was the best all around choice to me. I' ve had one for a couple of months and it is the best shooting bow I have ever shot !!

But like everyone says , go shoot all 3 and one of them will stand out to you !
Good Luck !!
Old 05-31-2003, 10:53 AM

I would first ask yourself which of these two uses is more important. The hunting would be number one for me, but it is also from my perspective the case that it is the far easier stisfied of the two. When I started serious archery in the late 70s, the majority of short bows were 48 inches, the 44inch Brownings were considered crazy. Now we have " gotta have" short bows in the low thirties. Some day the bows will look like slingshots, and guys will still be wanting a 12.5" bow rather than a 13" one. Personaly I have hunted enough with 60" recurves and 72" longbows, that anything shorter than that seems nice but hardly necesary. A a 36-40" bow doesn' t seem all that long. I shoot the Conquest, and find it an amazing 3d bow. I would gladly hunt with it too, though I have an old feathermax for that.

Short bows aren' t necesarily a handicap, some male shooters, and a lot of top female shooters do well with them. All I' m getting at is that if hunting is all you really care about and 3D is just prep, buy with that in mind. If 3D is where you would like to see some improvement, then move up tot he real 3D bows in their line.