Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Spine /Center shot

Old 05-12-2003, 08:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Spine /Center shot

Fletchhead spine has absolutley nothing to do with the center shot of the bow
center shot is the relationship of the center of the string to the center of the arrow from nock to tip.
when the string is released the string will push the arrow off of the rest strait if everything is properley aligned
the strength of the arrow has nothing to do with whether or not it is coming off of the string strait.
Old 05-13-2003, 07:09 AM

Yes I understand that. There is a true center shot for every bow.The point I was making was in answer to the question, does spine effect center shot. Yes it does, along with many other factors. Shoot an under or overspined arrow and see if rest position changes in order to get an " Acceptable rip. Maybe Len will jump in here again and word it better, but the way Ive always seen it, there are two center shots. " True center" , and " Induced center."
Old 05-13-2003, 04:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Fletchhead,

I am in agreemant that true center doesn' t change and that induced center will.I however believe that if you try to get good tears out of poorly spined shafts that it will be hard to group.You would be better off just group tuning and live with the tear in paper.

This is why a lot of tournament shooter say to forget the paper.I don' t agree because the paper can tell you a lot but isn' t the gospel.If your spine is perfect or near perfect you will see almost perfect holes after group tuning.After group tuning a setup with arrows that the spine is off,you will have a tear in paper.

The funny thing is that all the ones that say to forget the paper seem to have a paper tuner setup somewhere.[&:]

So much easier and I have found it to be much more forgiving to just have the right spine and all the headaches are gone.Well most of the headaches.

The person behind the machine has to do his part.
Old 05-13-2003, 07:16 PM

I thought I' d get more of the heavys out on this but since they' re not biting I' ll throw out this out for debate. NO. Spine dosen' t effect center shot to my knowledge. Once I set up my bow to an arrow with proper spine and shoot in center shot at longer distances it should never change. Thats the sweet spot of the bow. I have never changed spine by adjusting center shot or visa versa. I achive proper spine by poundage or point wt. I have effected spine or got some forgivness from spring tension but the two don' t have any correlation. In my quest for the perfect tune I have read moving your rest to bring the field points and B/H' s together is incorrect for the best tune. Unless there is some sort of engineering myth or math theroy I' m missing moving your rest and center shot once it' s establish is tabu. IF what I have said is true then what is the best indicator for spine. Bare shaft or paper. Or something else. JERRY
Old 05-13-2003, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Fletchhead
I understand what you are saying but center is center yes an underspined arrow normally will go low and left. you would be better off leaving your center shot alone and back off of the poundage to achieve the results you are looking for.

I agree that paper tuning is a good way to assist in tuning a bow in relation to the flight of the arrow.
but If you cant get good groups or hit where you are aimingat 20 yards away from a bow that will shoot bullet holes through paper 6 feet away paper tuning is useless. JMO
Old 05-13-2003, 07:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Jerry I have found the best indicator of spine is ARCHERS ADVANTAGENo seriosly.I think 2 of the best ways is to paper a bare shaft and a fletched shaft at about 4 ft with the center shot set.This will tell you right away if the arrow is kicking.Then back up and it remains good through the paper.Now it is time to fletch and go out and group tune.I will add this though.Since using Archers Advantage ,I havn' t had to change anything to achieve that perfectly spined arrow.It has always been right.

In my way of looking at it is if you have to move the rest to get bullet hole because of spine.The induced center shot is changed but the true center has not.Center is center.
Old 05-13-2003, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

In my way of looking at it is if you have to move the rest to get bullet hole because of spine.The induced center shot is changed but the true center has not.Center is center.

T fox HELLO my thoughts exactley
and yes that is the best program That is what I use also.
Old 05-14-2003, 08:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

No seriosly.I think 2 of the best ways is to paper a bare shaft and a fletched shaft at about 4 ft with the center shot set
TFOX what effect does fletching have in the first 4 feet of flight ?

I understand what you are saying but center is center yes an underspined arrow normally will go low and left.
Bigpapascot I thought weak arrows went to the left when bareshaft tuneing or broadhead tuneing . Low and left according to what , I dont get what you are trying to say here .
Old 05-14-2003, 08:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jimmy
I only paper tune with fletch on from 6 feet and I dont shoot broadheads thru paper either really no sence in it if you can get bulletholes from an arrow with the same weight field point as the broadhead the results will be the same
group tuning is the best way to work with broadheads, bare shaft tuning is a wayste of time JMO
a weak arrow will shoot offset and low depending on which hand the arrow is shot from, the weaker the spine the farther offset and the lower the shot will be at least that is my experiences with weak spined arrows.
Old 05-15-2003, 08:17 PM
AK

The position of the arrow on the bow (centershot, or the amount of deviation from center) among other factors, will dictate which arrow spine flies best from the bow. Centershot bows, for example, require a fairly stiff arrow. Bows that are not centershot require progressively weaker spined arrows the more the bow deviates from being centershot. This is due to arrow paradox, the flexing pattern the arrow takes as it leaves a bow. An arrow must go through greater paradox to pass around the risers of bows with less centershot than bows that are more centershot. Hence, the arrow must be of a weaker spine to be able to flex properly.

The risers of most modern compounds are cut so the rest can be positioned in the center of the bow...which makes tuning and shooting less critical than older style non-centershot compounds and very-far-from-centershot traditional bows. If the proper arrow spine is selected, however, good arrow flight can be achieved with both centershot bows and non-centershot bows...even on 1.5" wide English longbows where the center of the arrow lies over 3/4" from center.

Back to your original question...Assuming both your arrow spines fall in the " tuneable" realm of your bow (and aren' t so close in spine that the difference is not noticeable), you may find that the weaker spined arrows will perform best when the arrow rest is moved slightly away from center.

Quick Reply: Spine /Center shot

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.