Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

feeling OVERWHELMED

Old 05-15-2003, 07:01 AM

Default RE: feeling OVERWHELMED

I' ll give you a couple of suggestions that may help.

#1. Don' t worry about the perfect tune until a month or so before hunting season. You can' t maim a target so penetration is not an issue and your target arrows will fly just as well if they are slightly out of tune and may even group better. If you notice your arrows wagging a bit, do a little bit of tuning when you get the chance, but don' t let it bother you if you don' t get it corrected right away. You don' t have to get perfect flight to shoot targets. I just bought a dozen new arrows. I haven' t tuned them to my bow yet, but I know my setup is close enough that they will group well with field tips. I will continue to shoot them as is until hunting season draws near. If I find myself at home with no kids and not a whole lot of chores to do, I may pull it out and do the paper tuning. The next chance I get, I will do some bareshaft tuning. I just take it one step at a time until it is shooting as well as I can get it to shoot. Eventually you will develop a system for tuning that works for you and the stress will magically go away because you will know that you can get it shooting the way you want.

#2. If you like to tinker, get yourself another bow to tinker with. Set your main bow up and once it is tuned, leave the settings alone and just shoot it. If you want to tinker or experiment with the latest gadget, do it with your tinkering bow. Believe me, the stress level goes waaaay down if you don' t HAVE to get that bow tuned to be able to shoot/hunt. If the tinkering bow won' t cooperate and you feel yourself getting frustrated, put it down and go get your main bow.

Oh, and whoever said a plain old recurve was medicinal is spot on! Something about watching that arrow fly to the target in slow motion just makes me grin from ear to ear. My daughter has a little recurve and I think I' ve shot it more than she has.

As was said before, you can make it as simple or as complicated as you want. The main thing is that you keep the fun in it. When the fun goes away, it' s time to drop back and punt.

Good luck.