Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Broadhead Problem

Old 07-30-2009, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Kanga
That I highly doubt, The higher the FOC the better arrow flight and penetration, I have tested arrows up to 34% FOC out of my long bow and compounds and have yet to find the point where I have too much FOC.

No going to 18% will help some, but untill it gets to over 19% most people are not going to see any difference and those differences are a huge benefit to flight and penetration.
Not doubting you Kanga, but at what velocities where the compounds shooting at (I'd have to go awfully heavy to slow my set-up down to 190fps, say like 700gr or so)??? She's probably only shooting 185-190fps, and there may be a BIG drop off after 20yds. I agree she may be able to get things together, but it may be a little easier with an FOC of 10% or so than 15%, especially using Carbons, and especially at these speeds and arrow weights.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:20 AM
bigcountry

I shoot 175fps/630gr and with 20% FOC I can nail a 3d target 0-30yards.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

She's probably only shooting 185-190fps,
Thats faster than my long bow.

Actually the drop off is not that much after 20 yards mainly because momentium comes into play.

A lighter, low FOC arrow is going to lose speed and momentium quicker than a moderately heavy, high FOC arrow. Because the heavier arrow is going to absorb more of the bows energy, plus lowering hand shock, vibration and noise.

Once the arrow has been shot you want the point pulling the shaft instead of the shaft pushing the point, the old saying it is easier to drag a chain is a heck of a lot easier than trying to push it comes to mind.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigcountry
I shoot 175fps/630gr and with 20% FOC I can nail a 3d target 0-30yards.
Thats faster than my long bow.

Actually the drop off is not that much after 20 yards mainly because momentium comes into play.

A lighter, low FOC arrow is going to lose speed and momentium quicker than a moderately heavy, high FOC arrow. Because the heavier arrow is going to absorb more of the bows energy, plus lowering hand shock, vibration and noise.

Once the arrow has been shot you want the point pulling the shaft instead of the shaft pushing the point, the old saying it is easier to drag a chain is a heck of a lot easier than trying to push it comes to mind.
I see what your saying, but I'm not sure how well that applies to a 340gr arrow with 15% FOC shot from a compound bow vs. your HEAVY arrow shot from a longbow. I know exactly the argument you make with FOC, I've made it myself, to guys shooting 6-7% FOC arrow and complaining that the WIND blew them off course, while my 12-13% FOC arrows fly just fine. I'm just not sure that out of her set-up especially with a shorter DL that the high FOC arrows are optimal. I could be wrong, and if I am, then I can only say I learned something from it. But it can't hurt anything to drop point weight and see what happens in her situation either, otherwise, she's looking at new arrows to get the spine closer, if nothing else works.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

But it can't hurt anything to drop point weight and see what happens in her situation either,
The biggest problem is if she does drop point weight thats going to stiffen the spine, we know at the moment she is over spined, so dropping point weight is only going to add to the problem.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:39 AM
bigcountry

You know, upping the wieght by 5lbs can help the spine greatly.

Old 07-30-2009, 05:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

whats the chances of the new arrows being smaller in diameter than the old ones, and the arrow setting farther down in the prongs of her ripcord rest?

edit.. did some investigating. Her new arrows are .245 vs her old arrows being .285. They are roughly 40 - 50 grains lighter, so that would explain why they were pretty close to being the same spots with fieldpoints.

Last edited by JoshKeller; 07-30-2009 at 05:13 PM.
Old 07-30-2009, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

bigcountry....

would upping the weight possibly help me out? It actually crossed my mind but didnt think anything of it.

I stil havent been able to shoot the darn bow due to the stinkin MONSOON! Hopefully tomorrow the sun decides to stay out for more than 10 minutes.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

The biggest problem is if she does drop point weight thats going to stiffen the spine, we know at the moment she is over spined, so dropping point weight is only going to add to the problem.
The thing is, the issue she's seeming to have isn't likely a SPINE issue, I think Josh may have nailed it (see below), but she should still be a bit low at 20, and worse at 30. If the arrow diameter is smaller, she certainly needs to bring the rest up a bit or lower her nockpoint.

Originally Posted by JoshKeller
whats the chances of the new arrows being smaller in diameter than the old ones, and the arrow setting farther down in the prongs of her ripcord rest?

edit.. did some investigating. Her new arrows are .245 vs her old arrows being .285. They are roughly 40 - 50 grains lighter, so that would explain why they were pretty close to being the same spots with fieldpoints.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:01 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by KYDeerHunter03
bigcountry....

would upping the weight possibly help me out? It actually crossed my mind but didnt think anything of it.

I stil havent been able to shoot the darn bow due to the stinkin MONSOON! Hopefully tomorrow the sun decides to stay out for more than 10 minutes.

Swamp is right. Spine can cause all kinds of issues. I have seen it cause not only windage issues but horizontal (at least on paper). I say give it a try.

Right now I am faced with a tuning issue. I am trying to force a weak shaft to work the way I want it. But looks like I am going to have to try a 75gr head.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.