Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Broadhead Problem

Old 07-29-2009, 06:26 PM
bigcountry

My OT2 and AA shows this setup being way stiff believe it or not with a 28" shaft. It was closer with 31" shaft. OT2 recommended 1916 shaft. Or something in the .650" spine.

I still do not think that is your problem. That mainly effects left or right point of impact.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I will try all the mentioned theories tomorrow and see how it turns out. I just hate it because its so close to hunting season and I am not ready yet! haha
Old 07-29-2009, 07:26 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by KYDeerHunter03
I will try all the mentioned theories tomorrow and see how it turns out. I just hate it because its so close to hunting season and I am not ready yet! haha

Is yoru bow arm dead steady during and after the shot? Shoulder down during and after the shot? BH's will bring out a lot of form issues also. If the bow has moved after the release, then that can cause issues too.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Are you resighting in your field points after each movement you make?

I know it's a pain but zero in your FP's after each movement of rest or nocking point then shoot the BH's.

The POI of the FP's wont be that much but the BH's POI will be and you will get a better idea of whats going on.

You are better off with a slightly stiff spine when using BH's.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Kanga
Are you resighting in your field points after each movement you make?

I know it's a pain but zero in your FP's after each movement of rest or nocking point then shoot the BH's.

The POI of the FP's wont be that much but the BH's POI will be and you will get a better idea of whats going on.

You are better off with a slightly stiff spine when using BH's.
X2

Great suggestions guys!!!

I would say move your nocking point down just a bit just like BC said. You will be better off than continuing to move your rest up.

Derek
Old 07-30-2009, 04:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigcountry
Hey swamp, you really think weak spined is the issue? I never seen a bad spine cause a huge difference in bh flight vertically.

I agree with you BC... it is usually a left to right issue... but here is why I think that...

I had some 400 FMJs that I was shooting off my HCA Iron Mace a couple years ago.... and they constantly wanted to go low and left. When I tried some 340 Axis arrows.... they tuned up nice. Of course a 400 at 70#s off an Iron Mace at 29"... I should of started with a .340 spine. My error.

As you know... a weak spined arrow is going to flex a heck of a lot... and that energy being used to correct flight and have the arrow flex is energy that is NOT going into propelling an arrow... so at least from a common sense standpoint to me... that change or net loss in energy potential for flight is being realized enough at 30 yards to make the arrow drop lower.

I have seen improperly spined arrows do lots of weird things off compound bows with release aids.... I've seen them kick and shoot in all directions. There are just so many variables that if we can eliminate a couple at a time it will get us much closer to the real cause of the problem.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

My OT2 and AA shows this setup being way stiff believe it or not with a 28" shaft. It was closer with 31" shaft. OT2 recommended 1916 shaft. Or something in the .650" spine.

I still do not think that is your problem. That mainly effects left or right point of impact.

Read this after writing the last reply. I suppose that fixes that problem. Thats suprising to me. 26" is fairly short for an arrow shaft even if it is long of average for a female shooter. Oh well... worth a try and a look anyway.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

good idea....noone recomended that, but then she will also more than likely have to change her knocking point as well, wich really isnt that big of a deal.

Originally Posted by SouthDakotaHunter
I would try and move the rest up...
Old 07-30-2009, 06:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I agree with your assessment of the different shops. Some pro-shops are just scary. You ought to come to MD, its gets worse the more north you travel.

It sounds like you have ran out of adjustment if you are raised all the way up and still hit low. At this point, nocking point needs to be lowered or you have clearance issues.

Point wieght has no bearing on BH's hitting with field points. Getting some new whiz bang BH out there like G5s that are way overpriced is not your issue, as you seem to know. Just the problem needs to fixed.

Move your nocking point down 1/16" and try again. I start at 20 yards, and then I usually move out to 50 yards.

If you have clearance issues, BH's are going to make it worse. Problems get tougher with clearance issues.
BC,
I agree for the most part, except she's shooting a SLOW BOW, and at 50yds, she's be throwing stuff in the dirt.

I am currently shooting a Hoyt Kobalt set at 47 pounds with a 26 inch draw length.

Muzzy 100Gr. 3-Blade Broadheads and Victory V-force 600 Arrows.

I had the Muzzy's flying great last year with the same set-up besides the arrows. Thats the only thing I have changed. I still have a little more room left to move the rest up some more, so I guess I will continue to try that.

Once that is done I will check the nocking point and go from there. If all else fails and I dont have the thing close by hunting season, I will just sight in for broadheads I guess.
Keep moving the rest or nockpoint, and see where that gets you. If you have room, go a full 1/8" and see where you're at. If that overcorrect, then work backwards 1/32" at a time. I can be quite frustrating, I agree, and with your FOC (15%) you may actually have hit the point where you have too much FOC for that set-up.

Originally Posted by SwampCollie
I think your arrows might be a little bit weak spined. The Kobalt is a sporty little slingshot and 26 ain't really short for a ladies draw. Someone with OT2 can confirm that... but I'd of opted for 500s.

Take a turn or two off the poundage and see if it changes anything. Back'em off the same... easy to put it right back where it was. And if you have any of your old arrows that worked well sitting around... break'em out and see if they will get right for you. Sounds like you know how to eliminate the variables pretty well... just gotta find whichever one got overlooked. Muzzy's seem to always shoot a little low.... and I have my opinions on why... but its pure speculation. They are a good head, and if you have gotten them to group before I'm sure you can do it again.
Actually SC, she's a good bit overspined, and the only fix might be more tip weight, but then her FOC is gonna go from 15% to 18%, which may just worsen the problem.

Jenna,
With your numbers on OT2, I'm seeing that if you go with a 28.5" arrow and a .650 spine arrow, you would be about right keeping the 100gr tip, or you could go with a .700 series and a 75 gr tip, still have 10% FOC, and see what that does for you. I'm thinking with that set-up, you may continue to have the issue, even though you're adjusting things because the FOC is so high. And with your arrow speeds (200fps or so) the spine may not make too much of a difference, you might be able to try a 75gr tip and see what happens. Dropping down to a 75gr tip gets your FOC around 11%, even though it makes the spine stiffer, it still may help, because stiff spine issues generally are left - right problems not diving arrows.

Good Luck with it, I hope some of that rambling helps.

And don't sweat it too much, you still have a good bit of time, and some decent people to bounce questions off of. Not to be negative or anything, but I don't honestly think I'd take a shot past 20yds with your set-up, but it's still frustrating to not have things as well tuned as you'd like.

Last edited by OHbowhntr; 07-30-2009 at 06:30 AM.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

you may actually have hit the point where you have too much FOC for that set-up.
That I highly doubt, The higher the FOC the better arrow flight and penetration, I have tested arrows up to 34% FOC out of my long bow and compounds and have yet to find the point where I have too much FOC.

Actually SC, she's a good bit overspined, and the only fix might be more tip weight, but then her FOC is gonna go from 15% to 18%, which may just worsen the problem.
No going to 18% will help some, but untill it gets to over 19% most people are not going to see any difference and those differences are a huge benefit to flight and penetration.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.