Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

5shot- Montec vs. Stinger

Old 05-08-2003, 08:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default 5shot- Montec vs. Stinger

I' m considering these two heads. I know you haven' t yet had an opportunity to fling the 4 blade stinger since it' s not out yet , but that' s the one I' m considering. For purposes of this discussion, let' s assume it performs as well as the 2 blade...

I like the fact that the montec can be easily resharpened on a flat stone (which I have). I think the blades would be easier/cheaper to maintain than the stingers (which would require a different sharpening apparatus or cash to purchase replacement blades).

In your experience, assuming whitetails and 60#s + of ke, is one superior over the other in flight characteristics, ease of tuning or penetration?

Which would you pick and why?
Old 05-08-2003, 10:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 5shot- Montec vs. Stinger

Well I am not 5shot but I would like to add one thing. I shot the Montecs last year and they were the best shooting broadheads that I ever spun on the end of an arrow. I killed 3 deer with them also and they performed great. I was really sold on them when we screwed the same braodhead on three different arrows on three different setups (one was shooting around 306 fps) and they shot the same place the field points did for all of us. Two of the bows I set up myself so I wasn' t that suprised but the Black Knight low brace height version was not " tweaked" . It was shooting pretty good but not as good as it could have and it still stacked them.
Old 05-08-2003, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

That' s encouraging.

What kind of performance did you get on the deer? All pass throughs? Any bone encountered? Nice big holes leaving easy to follow blood trails? How' d they hold up? Are they easy to resharpen?
Old 05-08-2003, 11:37 AM
pup

i am also interesting in those heads but they are kinda spendy arent they?
Old 05-08-2003, 11:40 AM

silentassassin:

You' ve better be careful stating " they shot the same place the field points did for all of us." There are those on another thread, Arrow Flight with different broadheads vs. field points, that will definitely disagree with you.[>:]

Old 05-08-2003, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Range,

They held up real well. I killed two deer with the first one, both were complete passthroughs. The tip of the ferrule broke on the second deer because I dead centered a rock. I actually thought I missed because of all the sparks that flew. The second head that I killed one with is still on my arrows. I just sharpened it. It' s hard to say they penetrated better than anything else that I have ever shot but I was consistently suprised by how velocity my arrow still had after passing through all three deer. I have shot mechanicals for the last three years though. They were pretty easy to sharpen and the hole they left was comparable to that of a 3 blade muzzy or thunderhead.

pup,

They are spendy. I showed them to a buddy (with more money than me) because I thought they looked awesome. I went over to shoot with him one afternoon and he let me shoot one of his. After that I was sold. To me they are definetly worth it. That was the first time in my life that I felt like I was absolutely as accurate with a broadhead on as I was with a field tip. So the confidence level they gave me alone was worth the price. Opinions are always going to very. However, I definitely think they are worth buying a pack and deciding for yourself.

Len,

I am sure it was a fluke
Old 05-08-2003, 12:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

silent, how did you sharpen them? On a flat stone as Montec suggests? I know that magnus recommends the same thing, but I could never get the magnus three blades to sharpen to my likeness.

The angle on the blades was just too steep for me.
Old 05-08-2003, 01:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bobco, their website addresses your concerns. Use a flat stone, push straight forward method.

They also state that they went with 60* blade angles to hold up better in case of bone contact. Apparently from the success people are having with them, blade sharpness is not an issue...
Old 05-08-2003, 03:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bob Co,

I couldn' t get them to sharpen to my likeness on the flat stone either. I used a hand held Arkansas Stone. The blades are of a heavier material and seemed to me to be easier to sharpen than conventional blades.
Old 05-08-2003, 08:24 PM
nub

edited

Quick Reply: 5shot- Montec vs. Stinger

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.