Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

5shot- Montec vs. Stinger

Old 05-09-2003, 03:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 5shot- Montec vs. Stinger

Well they are two differnt heads all together. Like you said I have not had the chance to try the 4 blade stingers yet, but assuming they do at least as well as the 2 blade versions I tried, I think it will be a toss up. The monotecs are excellent in every way. They can be sharpend with some time and a little " learning curve" . You can however break the blades. It takes a lot of punishment to do it, but it' s possible ( as with any broadhead). The stingers are every bit as accurate and well made, but come from the factory razor sharp. They are also a little easier to get a good edge on with the right tool, I use the " redi-edge" sharpner. You can also replace the blades as needed. On the downside the tips could curl up on a super severe impact with the stingers. ( this can happen with all cut on contact heads of this style). Again it would take a heck of a hit, and Magnus has made the tip stronger and less prone to this on the stingers. I really can' t and won' t say one head is better than the other, and I would feel confident using either. One thing Magnus has over G5 is the lifetime replacement policy. If you break a Magnus head they will replace it, period! I don' t know how much that means to you personaly, but it is somthing to consider.
Old 05-09-2003, 06:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

The stingers are every bit as accurate and well made, but come from the factory razor sharp.
I heard that some of the Montecs that were sold year before last didn' t come from the factory " shaving sharp" . However, every package of Montecs that I shot or had a buddy that shot (about 6 packs) were Razorsharp right out of the box. As a matter of fact I debated on whether or not to " re-sharpen" the first one that I killed a deer with, before screwing it back on. I did go ahead and re-sharpen but it wasn' t necessary.
Old 05-09-2003, 07:22 AM

Both are very good. The only problem I found was the screws coming loose on the Stingers when practicing. I therefore used some blue locktite to prevent this even on my hunting heads. I just don' t want to take the chance of having ' a screw loose' when hunting.
Old 05-09-2003, 08:14 AM
CG

But doesn' t hunting with davidmil count as hunting " with a screw loose" ??
Old 05-09-2003, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

CG,

I think you have something there
Old 05-09-2003, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don' t think a guy could go wrong with either head. I haven' t killed anything with the stinger 4 blade but I have with the Magnus two blade...even used the guarantee of getting a head replaced when I bent a ferrule on one (to bad that guarantee doesn' t apply to human heads ).

I have shot elk and deer with the Montec and was very pleased by it' s performance. Because the angle and design of the blade is a bit different on the Montec I feel sharpness can be somewhat deceiving if used as the ONLY measuring stick against other heads. Using some heads (for example Steel Force or Rocky Mountain Titaniums) the hair is easily shaved off ones arm. By comparison I would describe the Montec as cutting more so than shaving the hair off. However in the testing I have done the Montec penetrates every bit as well and I could tell no difference in performance (between the " super sharp" heads and the Montec) even after thorough examination of the animals harvested and their vitals that the head passed through.
Old 05-09-2003, 10:07 AM
Dominant Buck

But doesn' t hunting with davidmil count as hunting " with a screw loose" ??
Yeh BUTT.... it gets you free guttin' and draggin' . Len takes care of me. He let' s me tag along and calls me when he gets blood on his arrows. Last year he wore out about 10 sets of batteries calling me. I found the solution.... call in sick some days and make him do it himself.
Old 05-09-2003, 10:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks all.

How do the flight characteristics compare?
Old 05-10-2003, 11:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Len makes a good point about the stinger screws. I have not found it to be a problem, but anything that can come loose will, so I would follow his advice. I would also agree hunting with David would also constitute hunting with a screw loose, but he would look funny with loctite all over him
As for flight, I really can' t tell on bit of differnce with them. Both are very accurate with the right setup.
Old 05-11-2003, 07:04 PM
Typical Buck

I fondled the Montec first hand, pun intended, and was impressed. I' ll have to add these to my list of heads to test this summer. After close examination I' ve dropped the cut on contact NAP Razorhead from my list. A buddy of mine shot a few of these this weekend and the little bleeder blades broke. [:@] If they had a way to replace those like in the old Bear Razorhead, they might have something.[&:]

Quick Reply: 5shot- Montec vs. Stinger

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.