Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Help with paper tuning my bow with a QAD Ultra Rest Hunter

Old 06-26-2009, 07:56 PM

Default Help with paper tuning my bow with a QAD Ultra Rest Hunter

Ok guys! I was told to visit this website if I had any questions about anything to do with setting up my bow myself< so no pressure! LOL. Here is the scenerio, I just switched from a biscuit to a QAD Ultra Rest Hunter dropaway. It was my choice to do so even though I have had great results with a biscuit over the years. I like to "do it myself" and have paper tuned all of my bows but..... all have been with biscuits. Here is the problem. I get a tear low and I have moved my nock point way further up than I think is necessary. I am getting pretty frustrated so any help would be great. I shoot a Bear Showdown set at 67lbs with Carbon Express Terminator Light 6075's.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:12 PM

Default RE: Help with paper tuning my bow with a QAD Ultra Rest Hunter

I have shot through paper about 20 times tonight and still have not gotten a high tear! No matter where I move my rest or nock.
Old 06-27-2009, 03:33 AM
bigcountry

Sounds like interference. If you have a hook on the ceiling or wall, pull the bow back on that hook, with your string D-loop on the hook of course and see if the QAD is doing what its supposed too. It should come to a straight up 90degree position within 1-1.5" from full draw. If not, adjust it to do that.

Old 06-27-2009, 08:40 AM
Typical Buck

Try to put some lipstick on the edge of your vanes to check contact with the launcher or the bar above.
The launcher should be at 90 degrees when at full draw but this should happen inches before you are at full draw. You might have put the cable to low, best position is at the same hight as the end of the grip on the riser.
this post has helped me a lot;
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=3170417&mpage=1&key=set&#317 0704

Frank
Belgium
Old 06-27-2009, 08:57 AM

ORIGINAL: m9a9g9i9c

Try to put some lipstick on the edge of your vanes to check contact with the launcher or the bar above.
The launcher should be at 90 degrees when at full draw but this should happen inches before you are at full draw. You might have put the cable to low, best position is at the same hight as the end of the grip on the riser.
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=3170417&mpage=1&key=set#3170704

Frank
Belgium

I understand but I have shot arrows bare shaft and with my blazers and get the exact same tear?? I'm puzzled.
Old 06-27-2009, 08:58 AM

ORIGINAL: m9a9g9i9c

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=3170417&mpage=1&key=set#3170704

Frank
Belgium

I understand but I have shot arrows bare shaft and with my blazers and get the exact same tear?? I'm puzzled.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

I've never paper tuned in my life. I tune my bows, shoot good arrows, and never had a problem. I hunt and shoot 3D. Ilike make 6o yards trick shots. I think we make too much out of paper tuning. I don't waste my time with paper.
Old 06-27-2009, 12:23 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: The Rev

I've never paper tuned in my life. I tune my bows, shoot good arrows, and never had a problem. I hunt and shoot 3D. Ilike make 6o yards trick shots. I think we make too much out of paper tuning. I don't waste my time with paper.
Bob's got a point. Let me give you an example. I got a new guardian recently, I paper tuned. And shot some, but mostly like to build trad bows. So I recently decided to get it ready for hunting. Paper tuned well, but went out in my yard with some 4 blade slick tricks and I hit 6" high compared to my field points at 40 yards. Got all that worked out, and tried the paper again for snickers and grins, and still a decent bullet hole.

Paper tune is only good for shops I think that wants something fast.

Old 06-27-2009, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

The QAD ultra doesn't have enough clearance on the crossbar for Blazers. I switched to 3" quickspins and now the fletchings don't touch anymore. Don't worry about bare shaft tuning, just get it close and then broadhead tune.
Old 06-27-2009, 07:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

centaur, i shoot a qad hd and blazers and so do tons of others on here....no contact at all...though if you pass a shaft through by hand it makes you wonder how....but ive tested...no contact...

im with the others...ditch the paper...

download the Easton Tuning guide. it can be found on eastons website....goes through many different tuning methods...

my favorite is still screwing on a fixed blade broadhead and shooting it till i get it to shoot where my fieldpoints shoot...

ive found if i can get my muzzys to shoot with my fieldpoints, that all the other tuning methods are also complete...and my groups shrink and arrow flight is like a laser...

getting the qad to shoot well was pretty simple for me...good luck...you came to the right place....

Quick Reply: Help with paper tuning my bow with a QAD Ultra Rest Hunter

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.