Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

bow string,cable,serving???

Old 05-05-2003, 12:06 PM

Default bow string,cable,serving???

I recently put a new buss cable on my Legacy due to serving wear near the cam. The new cable doesn' t have any twists in it. Is this a problem? Also, I re-served my center serve on my bowstring and didn' t pay any attention to the direction of my serve. Does it matter if you serve with or against the twist in you string? I guess I should replace the string at the same time as the cable but the string is still in decent shape. Also, my bow shop sells Zebra strings and I' m wondering if I should step up to Winners Choice strings and cables. What do you think?
Old 05-05-2003, 03:43 PM

Default RE: bow string,cable,serving???

i don' t think it makes much of a difference on which way the serving is put on. the cable should be twisted, but if the cable is already at the length its supposed to be, twisting it up would just raise the draw weight of the bow.

you definetly should step up on strings and cables. why don' t you save some money though in the mean time and go with vaportrail strings and cables. they are about 15-20 dollars cheaper than winners choice and work just as well.
the peep sight won' t move and you will gain 6-8 fps off the stock string. i have used them for a while now and have had no problems whatsoever. go to www.vaportrailarchery.com this is their homepage, and is the only site that i' ve found that shows their strings and cables
Old 05-05-2003, 08:30 PM
tm
Fork Horn

I lay out my cables at the correct length, stretch them and then twist back to the correct length. The twist helps a lot with serving seperation. then serve them real tight with #2D serving. Without twists the outside strands stretch further and therefore you get seperation.
Old 05-06-2003, 03:06 PM
Fork Horn

Center serve in the same direction as the string twist or you will have peep rotation problems (if you have a peep). If you don' t have a peep, it doesn' t matter. Another thought....If you can serve, you can make your own strings. Why not give it a try?
Old 05-08-2003, 07:51 PM
Fork Horn

You can make a string jig out of B-line available in electrical places. Pretty cheap and usually only takes a time or two to have decent strings. I have the directions I used to make mine somewhere if you' re interested. It is the same as the Dream Machine. Hardest thing would be making the posts. After you actually see how easy it is to make them and also the price involed (compared to how big a markup there is) you' ll wonder why people just " have to have" the big buck strings.
Old 05-09-2003, 01:32 PM

I am very interested in making my own string. Any info would help. The only real info I can find on the web is for a long bow or recurve.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-09-2003, 01:51 PM
CG

Here' s a good link for building strings....

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showth...hlight=strands