Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Braodheads to stay away from?

Old 05-06-2003, 03:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Braodheads to stay away from?

My big problem with the Ultimate steel is that the blades break at the rear tab and fall out under heavy impact. Heck I even lost one blade shooting into the Block target. I made sure I put the heads together properly and still lost blades.
Old 05-06-2003, 05:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

...throw in the Cabelas Lazer Exterminators as well. I had the absolute worst performance with them. Little penetration and the blades did not open.
However, I see that they no longer have them in their catalog (received the 2003 Archery catalog yesterday). They do have a new expandable model that looks interesting though.
Old 05-06-2003, 06:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don' t know what Dave H will say, but personally I have seen a difference between the first and last batch of Cabela' s heads. In each case, the models were the 100 gr. Super Lazer Pro Mags. The first set was great. The second set had washers that were too small to properly contain the tabs at the back of the blades. There was no way to tighten up the head and keep it aligned with the arrow. I ended up putting each washer carefully in a lathe and drilled them out to the correct size. Then there was no problem. Not a terrible problem, but they shouldn' t have come through that way, IMO.
Old 05-06-2003, 08:27 AM

Thanks guys great thread,
This should help me out picking my next Broadhead!

Old 05-07-2003, 12:49 PM
pup

5 shot. i was told by someone that it was only the first bach of the ultimate steel that the blades came off and that they have fixed the problem know. it this true?
Old 05-07-2003, 01:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

I was kind of wondering that myself cause I always read and hear guys saying how strong they are.
Old 05-08-2003, 03:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Pup, I have heard this from a one person over the internet, and now you have brought it up. I have tried to email rocket about this, and give them a chance to send some new heads, but the website is still down. As soon as I can I will contact them and get the facts. I would be more than happy to retest the heads, and if they do better I will report it, if not, I will report that also.
Old 05-08-2003, 04:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

c903

I used the Lazer Pro Mags for quite a few years with great success. They flew fairly well, were ALWAYS razor sharpand I liked the type of chisel tip they had--very steep angle. However, even though I had success with them last season, the blades would break nearly every time an animal was harvested, the ferrule usually was bent too and rendered useless and occassionally the tip even came off. Another big factor was that the heads would need constant attention to maintain a " true-spin" condition--it seemed that the mere act of taking them out and replacing them in the quiver a few times would cause them to acquire a slight wobble. This is something I never have experienced with any other head--including theirs--until the last few years.
Old 05-08-2003, 07:28 AM

DaveH:

I Loc-Tite my blades into ferrule, so I have not noticed what you have described. However, on a couple of ferrules I use for practice that do not have the blades locked in, I have noticed that the blade channel on 1 or 2 ferrules did appear to have widened. Not much, but some. I scratched it off as caused by the repeated banging into targets and hard-foam deer targets.

I am going to measure the channels on the practice ferrules I have used.

I do not want to pay $70.00+ for heads!!!!!!!
Old 05-08-2003, 08:16 AM

I' ve had trouble with the Spit-fires. Just like Orions said it takes too much to open them up. They are constructed well, but you have to shoot a lot of #' s for them to work.

Quick Reply: Braodheads to stay away from?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.