Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

string on the nose

Old 05-02-2003, 07:27 AM
Fork Horn

Default string on the nose

I have often read that if your draw length were correct your string would be at the end of your nose at full draw.

I have worked my way down from a 28" cam to a 27 set at 26 1/2.I have always drawn with the string at the side of my nose and my anchor, with a release, behind my ear against my jaw,even at 26 1/2.Last night I found that I could actually set myself up with the string on the end of my nose but my anchor was lower.I also found that I was much more erect.I have never had anyone critique my form so everything I do is from what I read and what feels good and works.

Should I change my form?Would there be any advantages?Ron
Old 05-02-2003, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: string on the nose

I' ve always been a firm believer in the saying if it' s not broke don' t fix it. If you shoot good and are happy with your set-up why change? I see lots of people who anchor behind the jaw and others who anchor at the corner of the mouth. If you do feel the need to try something different now' s the time to do it in the off season so you will have plenty of time to practice your new style. Personally I shoot a 30" draw with a nock as a kisser button anchored in the corner of my mouth with the string against my nose looking to the right of the string with no peep sight. I' ve always shot this way so it feels natural and it works for me. Mike
Old 05-02-2003, 08:21 AM
Fork Horn

You didn' t mention your axle to axle. If you have a short ata you might have a hard time drawing the string to the tip of your nose and have the proper anchor because of the string angle. If your ata is in the 37-38" range or longer, I feel that if you anchor behind your ear, you are too far back. One way to tell if your anchor is too far back with a wrist style release is to have someone look over your shoulder at full draw. Your forearm should be in line with your arrow, not pointing to the left (too short) or right (too long) of it. But, as i said before, a lot of it depends on what bow you' re shooting as far as the string on the nose.
Old 05-02-2003, 10:13 AM

If you had a nose like mine that would put your drawlength at about 22 inches.
When I used to shoot with fingers I would draw to the corner of my mouth and barely touch the string with the tip of my nose. This was mostly for consistancy.
[8D]
Old 05-02-2003, 07:26 PM
Fork Horn

Ben,I' m with you bud,how do you think I lost that 1 1/2" in draw.

Any way my bow is a Mathews FX which is 34" A to A.I shoot a loop.I think I am a fair to decent shot and not changing wouldn' t hurt my feelings abit,but good form is important and I would like to get it right if it is wrong.Ron
Old 05-02-2003, 07:58 PM

Ive seen good shooters anchoring to the side of the nose, and with the shorter bows not getting the string to the nose at all. I would have a pro look at your anchor. There are to many variables, and you could seriously hose yourself and your form up. Like golf and sex, what feels good isnt always right or sometimes even legal.
Old 05-02-2003, 09:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hey Ben,I know what you are taliking about.I use a Chappy Boss and when using it the string hits the end of my nose perfect.Don' t know why most people say the release head is too long.[:-]
Old 05-03-2003, 03:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

With my new Razortec, I' ve reduced my draw length from 29" to 26 1/2" . My anchor spot is the same as yours--under the ear at the back of my jaw and the string touches the tip of my nose at full draw. I am also using a string loop.
Old 05-03-2003, 09:18 AM

I shoot a Legacy with a string loop. I anchor with my thumb under my jaw and my point finger on top of my jaw. The string touches the end of my nose.

This is the way I have always done it and it feels natural for me. Right or wrong I dont know. I agree with Mykey, now is the time to try new things, during the off season.