Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

another fletching question

Old 05-12-2009, 12:21 PM

Default another fletching question

What exactly is the philosophy on choosing a vane system? What is the advantage/disadvantage of going with a 2" vane versus a 4" vane? Which one is better with fixed blades? Which one is better beyond 30 yards? Which one is better with a high-speed bow? How can a vane fletched without any twist be very accurate without turning the arrow, especially with a broadhead?
Old 05-12-2009, 01:03 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: another fletching question

ORIGINAL: pukeleeland

What exactly is the philosophy on choosing a vane system? What is the advantage/disadvantage of going with a 2" vane versus a 4" vane? Which one is better with fixed blades? Which one is better beyond 30 yards? Which one is better with a high-speed bow? How can a vane fletched without any twist be very accurate without turning the arrow, especially with a broadhead?
Bottom line is bigger the vane more stable BH flight. But bigger the vane, more chance of clearance issues. Bigger the vane, more drop past 30 yards.

You got to find a compromise. The standard tried and true 4" .4" high vane will give you all you need. I myself do not like blazers and any vane over .5" high. I have grown to hate quickspins.

I am thinking of switching to 4" feathers this years myself. I mostly shoot 5-5.5" feathers traditional, might as well do it with compounds. They are a lot more forgiving than vanes. But always have to deal with wet weather.

Old 05-12-2009, 02:10 PM

I have been shooting blazers because I was shooting a biscuit rest on a slower bow. Now I have a faster bow and a fallaway rest. I have a couple of buddies who claim I should got to a 4" vane with a strong helical twist to keep the arrow stabilized out past 30-40 yards with fixed blades.

What's the problem with quick spins? That was something I was kinda looking at.

To be honest, I haven't shot my new bow with broadheads yet and maybe they will shoot just fine with the blazers out past 30-40 yards. I won't be making any changes until I do that.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:51 PM
bigcountry

I have been shooting blazers because I was shooting a biscuit rest on a slower bow. Now I have a faster bow and a fallaway rest. I have a couple of buddies who claim I should got to a 4" vane with a strong helical twist to keep the arrow stabilized out past 30-40 yards with fixed blades.

What's the problem with quick spins? That was something I was kinda looking at.

To be honest, I haven't shot my new bow with broadheads yet and maybe they will shoot just fine with the blazers out past 30-40 yards. I won't be making any changes until I do that.
I just never got great flight with quick spins. I can shoot BH's well past 30-40 yards with any of em, blazers, duravanes, killers vanes. More important than vane, is tune of the bow.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I never liked Blazers either but I use quickspins. They fly great for me and they stabilize broadheads, I use the 3" ones.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:07 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Centaur 1

I never liked Blazers either but I use quickspins. They fly great for me and they stabilize broadheads, I use the 3" ones.
I know one guy that 4 fletches the 2" quicks and loves em. But I don't think they sell 2" .375" high quiks anymore.

I just don't know why I get tighter groups with regular .4" high easton vanes. the 4" I have used alot are .530" high which IMO is excessive. I might had slight contact.

But now those 3" are a possibility being lower profile.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

Bottom line is bigger the vane more stable BH flight. But bigger the vane, more chance of clearance issues. Bigger the vane, more drop past 30 yards.

You got to find a compromise. The standard tried and true 4" .4" high vane will give you all you need. I myself do not like blazers and any vane over .5" high. I have grown to hate quickspins.

I am thinking of switching to 4" feathers this years myself. I mostly shoot 5-5.5" feathers traditional, might as well do it with compounds. They are a lot more forgiving than vanes. But always have to deal with wet weather.
I like feathers too! I have went to Razr feathers and also used 3", but with weight on any size feather not being an issue I went back to 4" again.

I spray them with waterproofing and never have a problem.

Dan