Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

peep sight

Old 04-17-2009, 11:40 AM

Default peep sight

I'm having trouble keeping my peep straight. How do I keep it from twisting . I don't like the peeps with the rubber tubes.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: peep sight

Are you using a string loop as well? You can keep the peep aligned by using one...usually.

Whenever someone states that the peep is rotating, it is usually caused by a couple of things. One, the string isn't very good to begin with. A good set of strings will not have peep rotation issues. Some manufacturers use very good strings on their bows, others use very bad strings. I won't mention names. Another reason a peep will rotate is if the string is very old.

Generally peep rotation issues are caused by the string creeping or stretching over time. You can have it set perfectly one day and the next, it will be completely off. A high quality string will not have these issues.
Old 04-17-2009, 12:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: muzzyman88

Are you using a string loop as well? You can keep the peep aligned by using one...usually.

Whenever someone states that the peep is rotating, it is usually caused by a couple of things. One, the string isn't very good to begin with. A good set of strings will not have peep rotation issues. Some manufacturers use very good strings on their bows, others use very bad strings. I won't mention names. Another reason a peep will rotate is if the string is very old.

Generally peep rotation issues are caused by the string creeping or stretching over time. You can have it set perfectly one day and the next, it will be completely off. A high quality string will not have these issues.
x2

If you are using a dloop take it and twist it around the string in whichever position that makes the peep align to your eye whenever you are drawn back. If your loop isnt tight enough or that isnt working for you, either take your bow to a shop and have a twist put in your string, OR have them reserve it in to where it sits the right way. A good set of strings will make all of this easier to deal with as muzzyman said.

Derek
Old 04-17-2009, 03:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: muzzyman88

That is part of it.... but just having a high quality string doesn't cut it.

You have probably heard the buzz term 'train your peep' thrown around several times on here. And once it is trained (much like a dog) it is pretty much impossible to untrain it.

Take a look at your string right where you nock your arrow. You will notice that the sides of your serving are flat..... which is caused by the nock clamping on to the string. When you get a new string.... if your peep is set right and coming back flush to your eye.... you need to MAKE DAMN SURE that you are nocking your arrow square to your string and not twisting it to set it on your rest. Think about how the arrow comes off the string and how it is set at full draw..... square to the string laid in the rest.... thats how you need to nock your arrow as well.

Whisker biscuit users are usually the worst offenders of this because for some reason they want to nock the arrow at 90 degrees and rotate the arrow into the quick shot window...after about 50 shots, those flat spots are set and they are there for good unless you cut off your center serving and start over. You might get lucky and be able to twist your string so that the flat spot and your peep will come back square.... but twisting your string too much will start messing with your tune and your specs and can really cause more harm than good unless done in relative moderation and with a knowledge of what you are doing. Even using the string loop once it is going sideways on your will only work for a shot or two before you have to crank it around again.... and that is because of those flat spots on your serving. Just need to get them working for you... not againest you.
Old 04-17-2009, 05:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll keep my tubed peep. I just don't want to end up in the position where I get to full draw, and that damnedthing is turned a little, and I have to wiggle my nose to try to turn it. I tried the meta-peeps on both WC strings and Vapor Trails strings, and I still have a LITTLE rotation, regardless of what I've tried, so back to the trusty old TUBEDPEEPfor me.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: OHbowhntr

I'll keep my tubed peep. I just don't want to end up in the position where I get to full draw, and that damnedthing is turned a little, and I have to wiggle my nose to try to turn it. I tried the meta-peeps on both WC strings and Vapor Trails strings, and I still have a LITTLE rotation, regardless of what I've tried, so back to the trusty old TUBEDPEEPfor me.
I get where your coming from there, and by all means, on a 3d course or indoors that sounds like the way to go imo. But on a 30* day in the middle of the woods miles from anything its not so fun. Could you imagine drawing back on a monster buck and snap! I used to hunt with the tubes but i had one break one afternoon before going to hunt, and that scared me away from them.

Derek
Old 04-18-2009, 07:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: drockw

I get where your coming from there, and by all means, on a 3d course or indoors that sounds like the way to go imo. But on a 30* day in the middle of the woods miles from anything its not so fun. Could you imagine drawing back on a monster buck and snap! I used to hunt with the tubes but i had one break one afternoon before going to hunt, and that scared me away from them.

Derek
Derek,
I use the Silicon tubing, and have yet to have one snap, but I also replace them yearly.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:01 PM
Fork Horn

I've tried the String Splitter Mini, Fletcher, No-peep, Hind Sight and a couple other gadgets. I have yet to find anything I like better than the RAD Maxim 38 MT(Micro Tube). I think alot of people that complain about tubes have yet to try the new silicon version of tubing. I personally have never had one break. If you use the old rubber/latex version and cut it too short I guess breakage is possible. Also you MUST double knot it to the cable.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: OHbowhntr

ORIGINAL: drockw

Derek
Cool. I never did usea silicon one so i cant comment. I do see that working better tho.

Derek,
I use the Silicon tubing, and have yet to have one snap, but I also replace them yearly.