Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

got my bow set up. critique my form please

Old 04-19-2009, 04:07 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: got my bow set up. critique my form please

ORIGINAL: drockw

If you lengthen your DL by 1/2", straighten your arm out more, you should be able to keep your anchor pretty close to the same as you are comfortable with.
I shoot with a pretty straight arm, and a hair longer DL and i seem to be able to hold better, and my releases seem cleaner b/c of the joint alignment. My stance in this pic is a little tooopen, but you get the idea.
You want him to increase his draw more with a caliber release/hunting setup? I mean target shooting and hunting are two totally different things.

Old 04-19-2009, 06:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

If you lengthen your DL by 1/2", straighten your arm out more, you should be able to keep your anchor pretty close to the same as you are comfortable with.
I shoot with a pretty straight arm, and a hair longer DL and i seem to be able to hold better, and my releases seem cleaner b/c of the joint alignment. My stance in this pic is a little too open, but you get the idea.
You want him to increase his draw more with a caliber release/hunting setup? I mean target shooting and hunting are two totally different things.

Not totally different.Some of the same basic fundamentals remain the same.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:05 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: TFOX

I shoot with a pretty straight arm, and a hair longer DL and i seem to be able to hold better, and my releases seem cleaner b/c of the joint alignment. My stance in this pic is a little tooopen, but you get the idea.

Yep, but we are past those basic fundamentals.

I don't know, I guess I get tired of seeing young shooters with thier elbows all the way back past thier ears, and the main reason is the bow is too heavy for them and the bow's ata too short. They shoot, they have no follow thru, and grip the trigger. Josh isn't in this category, so don't think I am talking about you, but with a caliber release, I sure wouldn't go longer in draw length.

Old 04-19-2009, 07:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Actually,the main fundamental is bone to bone contact and with the elbow pointed outward,that bone to bone contact is next to impossible.

The a-a being so short for a longer draw archer definately causes anchor issues and I am not sure which way he would be more comfortable with his anchors and bone to bone contact once he as addressed his bow arm elbow alignment.I do know that when he lengthened his draw that the alignment looked better but the anchors do not.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Josh: You have gotten good advice on here. Personally, I really think with your size and the bow's size, I'd forget about the nose thing. If you go on Archerytalk, there is a guy that goes by Nuts and Bolts who is very good at explaining form. He had a good explanation of why forcing your head down to touch the nose to the string is a bad idea. I can't remember specifics. When I have shot shorter bows OK (not really well but not bad) I put a kisser button on the string for a secondary reference point, and forget about the nose. I can only comfortably use the nose on the string starting at about 36" ATA. I would not make yourself crazy over this. Your form looks better than most shooters that I see.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TFOX

Yep, but we are past those basic fundamentals.

I don't know, I guess I get tired of seeing young shooters with thier elbows all the way back past thier ears, and the main reason is the bow is too heavy for them and the bow's ata too short. They shoot, they have no follow thru, and grip the trigger. Josh isn't in this category, so don't think I am talking about you, but with a caliber release, I sure wouldn't go longer in draw length.
I get tired of seeing people with DL's soo short that they have their elbows bent completely. Short seems to be the trend I was one of those people for quite a while. I shot a 29" DLa few years back and im 6'3". Not arguing with ya about a little shorter for hunting, but hes asking us to critique his form, and im assuming he wants to shoot better. Just gave my .02

Like you said bc, i believe that with his form now, he will be smart enough to take some critique and turn it into better form/shooting, not just bad habits that many rookiestakeon. If you practice like you are hunting, then you will know what you can/cant do in certain situations.

Anyways, "different strokes for different folks"

Derek

Old 04-20-2009, 01:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

The only thing wrong is that I don't have an Alpha Max formyself.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:13 PM
bigcountry

I get tired of seeing people with DL's soo short that they have their elbows bent completely. Short seems to be the trend I was one of those people for quite a while. I shot a 29" DLa few years back and im 6'3". Not arguing with ya about a little shorter for hunting, but hes asking us to critique his form, and im assuming he wants to shoot better. Just gave my .02

Like you said bc, i believe that with his form now, he will be smart enough to take some critique and turn it into better form/shooting, not just bad habits that many rookiestakeon. If you practice like you are hunting, then you will know what you can/cant do in certain situations.

Anyways, "different strokes for different folks"

Derek
Its a rarity to see young shooter with too short draw lengths. I have been at it for quite some time. UsuallyI see quite the opposite. Reason is, they are overbowed and feel they can handle a 70lb bow, but cannot.

I have seen a whole lot of good bowhunters, and see a whole lot of target shooters, they are rarely the same thing.