Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Hey 2droptine...

Old 04-23-2003, 07:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hey 2droptine...

I noticed in another thread you said you are using the bodoodle zapper. I' ve been trying to get input on this rest from people who are using it. Please tell me your story

How long did it take you to tune it? Fletching contact an issue? Any other tuning problems that took longer than usual to work out? Is it quiet? Accurate? Does it hold the arrow on the rest in any bow position? Is there anything you dislike about it?

Just thought of another question. What type of rest did you shoot before the zapper? Was it a two prong shoot through like a tm hunter style? The reason I ask is, from pics I can see of the zapper, it looks like the speed fins protrude more forward toward the bow shelf than most other prong type rests. My arrows are cut just a bit in front of my prongs at full draw, I do not want to have to get new arrows just to use this rest. Is there enough adjustment in the mounting slot to get the front of the fins back from the arrow shelf?
Old 04-23-2003, 06:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Hey 2droptine...

Be glad to fill you in Rangeball,

What type of rest did you shoot before the zapper?
Well....last season I shot a quicktune (prong style) I had a couple things happen last season to convince me while hunting I needed more arrow capture. So a Purchased a GKF Arrow trap, I had some real issues trying to paper tune it (nothing against it, its a quality product, my set up gave me issues with that style). So to make a long story short, All of the serious hunters at my range shoot a zapper, and even though I resisted they talked me into trying a zapper.

How long did it take you to tune it?
It paper tuned very quickly, from opening the package to bullet hole was less than 30 mins, Although I must admit I cheated and had help from a pro who talked me into the purchase. He was familiar with the rest so we got to skip some learning curve, but i would foresee no problems for you.

Fletching contact an issue?
Once you get it set up right you should have no issues with fletching contact. Another nice thing about this rest is if you do have vane contact you will be able to tell just by looking at the rest. The vanes will leave a nice little film on the metal speed fins as a tell tail sign. Because of the speed fin shoot thru configuration I would recomend a good glue job on your vanes, sloppy glue could lead to inconsistencies between arrows, although this would be minor.

Any other tuning problems that took longer than usual to work out?
Nope, amazingly simple and effective design. One tip is make sure the fin tips are flat against the arrow on all sides, this is fundemental yet common mistake made by some. I' ve even seen guys talking about shooting with the top speed fins off the arrow, when this was probably their only issue.

Is it quiet?
For hunting I would recomend putting either some electrical heat shrink or some teflon on the speed fins. Once you do that it doesnt make a sound.

Accurate?
One of the big reasons I resisted trying a zapper was the belief that a full capture rest of this nature would effectively bring your brace height to Zero. But i have found when I torque the bow my misses are in tighter groups than before although Im not sure why.

Does it hold the arrow on the rest in any bow position?
Absolutely, The arrow cant fall off. The Plant Manager at bodoodle was actually shooting his bow hanging upside down in the warehouse using this rest.

Is there anything you dislike about it?
If there was anything I could change about it, I would make it camo instead of black. ( I dont think they make a zapper 400 in camo, could be wrong). I would also add micro adjustability for paper tuning. But once you get it set and marked that becomes a non issue.

Is there enough adjustment in the mounting slot to get the front of the fins back from the arrow shelf?
If you set it back as far as it will go the tip of the fins will end up in the middle of mounting screw, So you should be able to tell from that if it will work for you.

I dont think I missed any of your questions...lol

Its a relatively inexpensive rest as well so give it a try see what you think, Couple other things, For Hunting go with the 400 model, also for Carbons put the bottom 2 speed fins as close together as you can get them.

Good luck, Let me know what happens.
Old 04-23-2003, 06:15 PM
Fork Horn

Check that, I rechecked and my Fin tips are in the middle of my mounting screw but I can still move it back another inch.
Old 04-24-2003, 07:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the info! I thought I would have to pass on this rest due to my arrow length, but I think your second post just saved me .

I actually prefer black, so that won' t be a big deal for me. How heavy an arrow are you flinging? The reason I ask, is when I emailed bodoodle, they recommended the 300 for light arrows up to 400 grains, and the 400 for 400+ grains. I' m shooting right at 350 grains right now, but that could jump to 400 if I go a tad heavier on my broadhead and switch back to vanes from feathers.

I' ll have to double check my arrow length, but from what you described, I think I should be ok. Thanks again
Old 04-24-2003, 08:22 AM
Fork Horn

Im shooting goldtip 7595s, total arrow weight of 395grains, I may bump it up to 420 when Oct 1 comes, not sure yet. Mind you, I havent shot the 300 model but the guys at the range who have tried them perfer the 400, Im guessing because the extra support for the heavier arrows makes it less likely to get knocked out of tune while dragging it through the brush. Good luck, keep us updated.

Old 04-24-2003, 09:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just spoke with SG at bodoodle. He recommended the new zapper 400 hp for my set up. The mounting bracket is built a little longer, so prong clearance shouldn' t be an issue, and it has tuning marks etched in to facilitate repeatable set up should it ever get bumped out of alignment.

I' m pretty convinced this is the way I' m gonna go.
Old 04-24-2003, 10:28 AM
Fork Horn

Tuning Marks and Camo option as well, looks like I have to upgrade already.