Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Whisker Biscuit modification that works!!

Old 04-30-2003, 12:35 PM

Default RE: Whisker Biscuit modification that works!!

If you are going to do this to a WB then why not just buy a doodle zapper, or a ready rest?

I already owned the WB when I decided to modify it. I also prefer the WB. It is completely silent while moving through the woods. Even if the arrow is forced through the whiskers, when bumping something, the arrow doesn' t make any noise. I' ve seen other full-capture rests that make quite a racket when an arrow is bumped out of the rest and I' ve found some of the others harder to load. I also like the fact that the bristles do not wear. The arrow is always in the exact same position at full draw. I' ve seen many other rests that have material on the prongs, that gradually wear away, leaving the arrow at a different angle. Just last night, while shooting 3D, a buddy had one of the set screw loosen on one of the prongs and his arrow dropped a bit, causing him to miss 3 or 4 targets in a row, until he figured out what happened. Imagine his anger if it had occurred with a nice buck in front of him. This can' t occur with the WB. It' s about as bullet proof as a rest gets, and that is what I want when hunting. In my opinion, the WB is simply the best design for a full capture hunting rest .

As for modifying rests in general, I see people doing all sorts of things to make them quieter, easier to adjust and less likely to have all the screws loosen up. Why aren' t these rests designed to eliminate those problems? The only problem I saw with the WB was it' s tendancy to be a bit hard on fletching and to affect speed ever so slightly. My modifications took care of that and now I have what I consider to be the best rest available for hunting.
Old 05-01-2003, 01:53 PM

Most other rests are modified by adding something, tape, moleskin, nailpolish, chopped up doinkers, or whatever else the creative mind can come up with. The whisker biscuit on the other hand works quite well without modifications, but offers the option for the creative mind to take something away and perhaps improve the performance of the rest. The truth of the matter is this, the whisker biscuit rest will last for hundreds of thousands of shots as is, and those who have well broken-in biscuits will jealously guard them for their own use and will not trade them for brand new ones. How can we accelerate this wear? Its easy,use a pair of sissors. I generally only flatten the back of the biscuit myself, and yes, it does soften the biscuit alot when you flatten both sides. I use 4" straight Duravanes and the rest as it came in the package was 1FPS slower than a TM hunter.With high profile fletches and the more helical the fletch, the more that can be gained by modifying the biscuit.
Old 05-01-2003, 04:49 PM

Arrowman,

I glad you mentioned the longevity of the biscuit. I bought an extra biscuit with my rest, thinking I would need to replace it frequently. After many thousands of shots, (taken after I modified the biscuit) there is still almost no sign of wear. A few bent bristles, but thats about all. I may not need that extra biscuit for many more years. [8D]
Old 05-04-2003, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

After reading this thread, I figured I would try to do a similar mod to mine. First, I already had trimmed the back flat, then cut the loading slot in it. That helped my accuracy noticeably. When I tried to cut the slots out, I ruined the rest. By ruined it, I mean that every time I try to draw an arrow, it slips down into the slot, and does not remain in the center, where it belongs. I did NOT cut as much away as CG shows, more like half way between straightarrow and CG. I' m sure that Straightarrow' s mod would not cause this problem, and would still give the fletching very minimal resistance. I should have gone at this a bit slower, I guess. It is like cutting a board, ya just can' t put more back on![&:]

After trying this, I am perplexed as to how CG' s arrow stays in the middle of the rest.[]
Old 05-04-2003, 08:46 PM
CG

Joe,
What size arrow are you using??? I have the problem you mention with my old poltruded carbons but not with my ICS type arrows....I can literally shake my bow and they don' t fall into the slots I cut... Put about a 400 yard bellycrawl/stalk on a turkey yesterday (unsuccessfully I might add ) with an arrow nocked and it never left the center of the bisquit.....I' ve probably put nearly 1000 arrows through mine now and have yet to have the problem you mentioned....Do you have a way to post a pic??? I would like to look at your rest because I' m curious as to why yours isn' t working.......

After thinking about this I might add that mine is a full biscuit (i.e. not trimmed in the back)...maybe this is it.......I will chat with my buddy and see how his is working since his is trimmed in the back and I modified it exactly like mine....I' ll let you know.....
Old 05-05-2003, 03:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Instead of doing all that modifying why not get one of these

Old 05-05-2003, 06:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

CG:

The arrows I am using are ICS size carbons and ACC' s. I did experiment by putting an arrow in the rest when the rest was off the bow. I can shake it around a good bit and it stays in the center. After doing that, I think the problem may be that I have a short bow (34" ) and am connecting the release to the string below the nock. Maybe this is putting too much downward force on the arrow. I could probably try a sting loop, but I would need another release, as I have tried to use a loop with my Winn C 10, and it is too much trouble, IMO. I did put a centerest flipper on the bow when I took the biscuit off, and it is stacking arrows impressively out to 30 yards, so I might go back to that rest with one of my homemade arrow holding devices. I will probably try the cut-out biscuit on my Darton Viper, since it is 43" ata, and seems to shoot great with any rest.
Old 05-05-2003, 08:13 AM
CG

Joe,
Yeah that could be it....we all shoot with loops and I talked to my buddy and he' s having no problems...BTW I really like that Center Rest flipper.....that' s what I use dto hunt with exclusively......In fact, I' ve killed allof my critters with either the flipper or WB (flipper = 15, WB=1 )
Old 05-05-2003, 08:49 AM

Joe,

You do have to be somewhat careful about where you trim the biscuit. If you trim too much off the back or front (even if you don' t cut the slot), the arrow can fall through the bristles. Since I trimmed a fair number of bristles off the back of my biscuit, I would have weakened the bristle' s support too much if I had made wider slots. Fortunately, your mistake only cost you $10.00 for a new biscuit. It' s pretty easy to trim a little and shoot to test, then trim a little more until you have it just like you want.
Old 05-05-2003, 11:40 AM

I have modified a whisker biscuit rest by flattening both sides of the rest as it had been described in the section" Tech Tips" on the Carolina Archery Products website. The bow that I was tinkering with was a Martin Fury. Using speed balls, a string nockset, and judicious timing adjustments this bow@67# with a 385 grain arrow shot 305FPS through a whisker biscuit. The night before using a tm-hunter prong rest the bow was just breaking 300FPS with the same arrows. I was shooting the bow with fingers in both cases, if I were using a release the speeds probably would have been higher. The point is you can get some speed out of this rest in you want and still have a nice quiet rest. These rests are simple to set up and tune, there is none of that trampoline nonsense adjusting launcher tension and nockpoints till you have achieved proper liftoff. I don' t miss any off the torn fletches I used to get, or the noise that comes when your arrow hits something solid before it leaves the bow. I believe that people are smart enough to see the difference between products and how they perform in real life situations. In real life the biscuit works real well, ordinary people can set it up, and it doesn' t take a commitee to figure it out. If someone chooses to modify their biscuit I wish them every success in their efforts. For myself I' ll stick with it as is.

Quick Reply: Whisker Biscuit modification that works!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.