Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Thread on AT ( One bow to do it all)

Old 03-03-2009, 06:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Thread on AT ( One bow to do it all)

Hmm.. interesting. I actually liked the way the 82nd felt/shot-considering the speed. But it would def be a 60 pound or less draw weight bow. I thought the Xforce drew nicer to be honest and it was quieter/less vibey, but the 82nd had a better hold/valley and was more stable.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: MGH_PA

Dan, curious. Is all that is needed for the switch new limbs, cables and strings, then? I was considering doing this since I heard this from you a while back, and I'm a bit shorter draw, and wouldn't mind the little extra speed.
Matt, I switched the limbs, cables (string is the same length), and a piece on the roller guard.

I was puzzled by the 82nd being quieter, but yet being faster. IMO the longer limbs create a little more vibration and thus a tad more noise also. Neither bow is really loud, but there was a noticeable difference.

Dan
Old 03-03-2009, 06:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: JeffB

Hmm.. interesting. I actually liked the way the 82nd felt/shot-considering the speed. But it would def be a 60 pound or less draw weight bow. I thought the Xforce drew nicer to be honest and it was quieter/less vibey, but the 82nd had a better hold/valley and was more stable.
Jeff, I respect your opinion, but my take on those 2 bows was different. Running some where in the neighborhood of 700 to 800 hunter shooters through the booth the last 2 weekends I heard several guys praising the lack of shock in the 82nd compared to other speed bows at the show they had shot.

One thing I'll say is the X-Force definitely shot hard.

Dan
Old 03-03-2009, 06:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

No worries Dan- I didn't think the X-force was loud or shocky (overly-so considering)- nor the 82nd- just the 82nd had a bit more noise and vibe than the Xforce. I expected both to be much worse than they were! Everyone is different though and perceives some things differently.

Here's a good example-

The guys at my shop totally went ape-poopie over how much "shock" was in the new Mathews Reezen 6.5 - "its horrible,", etc. They told me "you gotta feel this.."

I shot the bow without a damper, with the stock alum damper, and the new doorknob damper- while no doubt without the damper the bow had a little pulse from quite a bit of string oscillation- I frankly didn't think it was a big deal at all- especially considering how quite and speedy the bow is. With a decent stabilzer, and limbsavers (which go on any solid limb bow I buy), I can't imagine anyone complaining bout that bow. It has other issues that concern me (riser torque!), but the "vibe issue" is not an issue IMO.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff, it's interesting you bring up the Reezen. I had opposite results with that bow. I shot it for a while a couple weeks ago at my shop and IMO, it's a stinker. The bow I shot was loaded down with Sims stab, sight, and just a standard prong rest. I haven't felt that much vibration in a bow in quite a long time to be honest. It almost felt as if something was loose on the bow.

I also did a test with the new harmonic door knob they sent. While it did help quite a bit, it was still more than I would pay 800 bills for. I also put two of the big harmonics in and the second one didn't really help much more. I realize Mathews states its only needed on the bottom, but I just wanted to see for comparison's sake.

I think a good string supressor would do wonders on that bow though. Most of the vibe is coming from string oscillation.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thats my point- everyone percieves things differently.

Of course- I've seen enough with the Reezen 6.5 to think that they may be varyng widely as well. I wouldn;t mind having one if I wasn't seeing the (scary!) riser torque at full draw- I don't know if they are ALL like that, but the ones I've seen are. The top of the riser BENDS at full draw.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

The top of the riser is bending?!?! Holy S@#T. I gotta get to the shop tonight and check this out.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I didn't notice it either until the dealer had me draw it and look

Here is my post in another thread from several weeks ago

My shop owner friend went over the other night, grabbed their demo reezen off the shelf turned down the weight gave me some kind of "shop" release from trufire that has no trigger mechanism/won't fire and asked me to draw it back. I'd checked it out/drawn before, so I wasn't sure why until he told me to look at the riser at full draw-

can you say "pretzel"?

The riser was angled off to the right significantly at full draw, both top and bottom near the limb pockets. Blatantly "bent" for lack of a better term. The bow has not been pressed incorrectly either- they have two (3?) of those ez power presses,and have been pressing bows including tecs, mathews and BTs for many years. I don't know if thats something Mathews is doing on purpose to counteract torque cause by the grip and rollerguard (it's possible I guess..so is me winning the lotto), but I kinda doubt it.

The only other Mathews Ive ever seen like that are Q2XLs and the original Conquests- those risers were very bendy- saw several right out of the box goofy and my Q2XL got bent by an inexperienced bow technician.

Regardless, I'd suggest everyone do the same thing (check the riser, especially at full draw) who is looking at the Reezen before dropping the cash-and make sure your dealer knows what he is doing and uses a proper modern press like the X press/ EZ press, etc.

Also the draw lengths on the Reezen are running 7/8 to 1 inch long instead of the typical 3/8 to 1/2" Mathews have always run. Normally I shoot a 28.5" cam on a Mathews, and I'd have to drop to a 28 on the Reezen.

EDIT- this is the 6.5" inch brace. Haven't seen a 7 yet.

< Message edited by JeffB -- 1/25/2009 8:55:15 AM >
Old 03-03-2009, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

The one and only... For me and my 30" draw speed is usually no issue, so w/out further adue...

Hoyt- Ultra-Elite
Mathews-DLD
BT-Sentinal or Constitution
PSE-the biggest Xforce lol!

Out of all of them picking only one, the ultra-elite. Good speeds, good BH, long enuff ATA, and a stiff riser... I watched a guy this weekend shoot a 300 58X with one. Some people say they arent as forgiving Most of the guys shots were inside out x's. He just had a few that werent in the pocket.

Derek

Derek
Old 03-03-2009, 08:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: muzzyman88
I think a good string supressor would do wonders on that bow though. Most of the vibe is coming from string oscillation.
I have shipped several MeanV Maximum's in Lost Camo to Reezen owners. Feedback has been very positive.

Dan

Quick Reply: Thread on AT ( One bow to do it all)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.