Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Whammy on letdown?

Old 02-15-2009, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Whammy on letdown?

Question for the Whammy shooters here. Do you get a bounce off effect when you let down the bow? I was shooting the other day and noticed that on a letdown, the rest would bounce my arrow off the prongs. Is this normal with this rest?
Old 02-15-2009, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Whammy on letdown?

Hmmmmm, you are going to make me buy a Limbdriver talking like this.......[8D]. Seriously, I can't wait to see the responses. Its between those two rests for my Alley.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

You have to let down easy,(which you should do anyway)if you can't let down the bow easy,then that will be a definate downfall of the rest.I have no problems letting down without my arrow bouncing off.I have done it on deer and I even did it today on a 3-d shoot and had no issues but the "potential" is there.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:41 PM

The potential is definitely there....I had this issue right after I put the rest on. Drew back on a decent buck and had to let down. Didn't think about the bounce effect until it was a little late. Now I hold the arrow after getting 3/4 of the way down and it's a non issue. But I did have to learn the hard way, which is the only way I learn consequently.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:41 PM
Super Moderator

You had mentioned on another thread (of which I cannot find) that the Whammy would not line up with the berger button on your bow. Could the rest be mounted with the mounting bar slightly downward instead of being level, thus allowing the Whammy to NOT hit against the bow shelf, but still allowing the arrow to align perfectly with the beger button?
Old 02-16-2009, 04:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Couger...Hmmmm....I'd have to look, but I don't think its would be possible. I played with different configurations of the rest and no go with the Bowtechs. I called Spot Hogg and talked to a tech and they said to absolutely not worry about it at all on the Bowtechs. They cut their holes substantially lower than most other manufacturers and the Whammy will ultimately end up above center, closer to what other bows are. They also said that they didn't see any difference in accuracy through a Hooter Shooter.

I did exactly as TFOX suggested and moved my prongs down as far as they would go and also loosened and twisted each prong to cradle the arrow deeper in the V. I also removed the prong covers and replaced them with just moleskin. My arrow as it stands right now, has the bottom half disecting the middle of the berger holes...close enough for me.

So far, the rest is shooting lights out with minimal tweaking. NO contact issues yet.

One thing I noticed about the arrow bounce off effect. The tighter you make the cord, which as I understand, makes the rest react and fall faster, the more the bounce off effect occurs. I was just playing with it the other day at the shop and noticed that. If you pull the cord through the arm to where you just barely put pressure on the cable and tighten, the rest doesn't do it as much. You still need to let down VERY slowly, but it does work better there IMO. I think having it set as I mentioned, just barely putting pressure on the cable, it guides the arrow longer and is the correct way.

Couger, don't hesitate to buy one. I really like mine so far. It's a learning curve, as with anything that is completely different than what we're used to. The LD is a great rest. I just opted for the Whammy because, after playing with my shop owners bow, saw that it offered good containment for hunting compared to the LD.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:15 AM

ORIGINAL: muzzyman88

4One thing I noticed about the arrow bounce off effect. The tighter you make the cord, which as I understand, makes the rest react and fall faster, the more the bounce off effect occurs. I was just playing with it the other day at the shop and noticed that. If you pull the cord through the arm to where you just barely put pressure on the cable and tighten, the rest doesn't do it as much. You still need to let down VERY slowly, but it does work better there IMO. I think having it set as I mentioned, just barely putting pressure on the cable, it guides the arrow longer and is the correct way.

That's a good tip...I got new prongs for mine so I have to readjust the rest anyway. I'll have to test out the cord with less tension. Makes sense though. Thanks Muzzyman.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Question for the Whammy shooters here. Do you get a bounce off effect when you let down the bow? I was shooting the other day and noticed that on a letdown, the rest would bounce my arrow off the prongs. Is this normal with this rest?
Muzzy, ifthe whammy is tuned properly, itwill fall away very close to brace. Ifyou creep the string from let off and there after allow the string to pull your hand into the brace position the arrow will DEFINITELY bounce on the launchers arm. This does NOT mean that the whammy has a problem. The whammy is only doing what it is supposed to do, and the bounce you're getting really shows the 'speed' of the rest.
However, the bounce of the arrow will not be as pronounced if you 'creep' the string all the way from let off, thruto brace. I know it's easier said than done on the binary cam bows. Unfortunately, this is the only solution and it is achievable, once you get the hang of it.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

ampa, good point. I still am absolutely amazed at the speed of this rest. You look at it and set it up and think there is no way this thing is going to clear in time. But...sure enough, no fletching contact and bullet holes in paper.

This rest if very advanced compared to most drop aways. I think that is why it doesn't sell as well as others. But, the more I shoot it, the more I like it.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

ampa, good point. I still am absolutely amazed at the speed of this rest. You look at it and set it up and think there is no way this thing is going to clear in time. But...sure enough, no fletching contact and bullet holes in paper.

This rest if very advanced compared to most drop aways. I think that is why it doesn't sell as well as others. But, the more I shoot it, the more I like it.

I was scared to try it myself.Many know how anal I am about certain things when it comes to tuning a bow and I loved the idea of this rest but was just uncomfortable with it.Looks so complicated but after getting it and actually setting it up .I am like you,the more I use it,the more I like it.That is why I have 2.

Quick Reply: Whammy on letdown?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.