Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Whammy on letdown?

Old 02-19-2009, 05:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Whammy on letdown?

Ok, a few things I noticed last night at the shop. I, have evidentally forgotten how to put a rest on a bow correctly. I shot great all night up until the end. Then I noticed things getting a little wonky. Turns out the rest was slowly rotating down. I didn't tighten the freakin bolts that mount it to the bow enough! Because it's yanking down on that cable so hard, you really have to make sure you have it cranked down tight or it may move on you. Man I'm stupid some days.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Muzz, just keep in mind if the cord is ancored to close to the rest it 'will' haul the rest down with it after the shot also.
When I first started using this rest, four years ago, the same thing happened and I tightened the rest using loctite on the bolts. The thing moved a week or so after. Couldn't understand. Then I moved the trigger cord further down the cable, tweaked a bit and the rest stayed in position ever since.
Be careful if the rest does this again, as after speaking the Cabe @ Spot Hogg, this is one of the causes of the trigger breaking the internal spring. The spring is replaceable...but you wouldn't want that to happen.
Lengthen the cord a bit. If your cord is already too short, use some BCY #24 d-loop material, it works just as well.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

amp, I'll post pics tonight if I can...but my cord is pretty long, not too long, but it had to be longer becuase of the cables crossing and having to clear that.

The way I set it up was to pull the cord through the trigger tight enough to where I just barly put pressure on the cable (allen wrench through the setup hole on trigger) Seems to work best there.

After checking the rest last night...I simply didn't tighten things down the way I should have. Operator error. [&:]
Old 02-19-2009, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

The Whammy fastens to the upper traveling cable correct?
Old 02-19-2009, 01:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Cougar Mag

Yes,the cable travels up as you are drawing.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Cougar Mag

That's correct...however when the bow is fired that cable then travels downwards .