Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Best String Silencers?

Old 02-08-2009, 05:26 AM
N2D

Default Best String Silencers?

In preparation for replacing the string on my Ally, I am wonding which string silencers would be the most effective? Other things to consider is speed loss, and longevity. Go with factory or after market?

Ed
Old 02-08-2009, 05:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Best String Silencers?

Cat whiskers cut to about the size of a 1/2 dollar coin
Old 02-08-2009, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

My FAVE silencers are Beaver Balls or other types of fur silencers-but they are not terribly practical on a compound. But they are by far the coolest!

I think the factory BT silencers work very well , but when they have worn out/legs have torn off, I usually replace with a Sims Leech- They work a little better and it's a PITA to take the string off and re-thread the BT silencers over the string. I like the look and durability of the catwhiskers like Russ mentions the best, but once Sims came out with the leeches I never used catwhiskers again- the leeches work better IME.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Best as in long lasting? Most noise reduction? Least speed lost?

I think the best with all things considered are the Ultra Jax

Dan
Old 02-09-2009, 04:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

N2D, on my Allegiance, all I have is a stringsuppresser from MeanV. He'll custom make one to fit your bow perfectly....even the same camo.

When I first put it on, I also had leeches in the string as well. I shot it like this until one day the leeches started blowing off and noticed that my bow got significantly quieter without anything on the string! So I haven't put any of the junk back on the string since. Plus, I gained a bit of speed.

Hit MeanV up for a suppresser. He'll fix you up right.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: muzzyman88

N2D, on my Allegiance, all I have is a stringsuppresser from MeanV. He'll custom make one to fit your bow perfectly....even the same camo.

When I first put it on, I also had leeches in the string as well. I shot it like this until one day the leeches started blowing off and noticed that my bow got significantly quieter without anything on the string! So I haven't put any of the junk back on the string since. Plus, I gained a bit of speed.

MM, It's funny but I hear that from a lot of guys. They say their bow is quieter with just a MeanV and nothing on the string than it was with a MeanV and silencers installed. I thought Ed had a MeanV, but I might be wrong. I have sent a few out

Dan
Old 02-09-2009, 05:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dan, I'm wondering if the reason they're quieter without silencers and only a supressor has to do with string oscillation. More weight on the string equals additional oscillation at the shot. Without it, the suppressor can do its job more efficiently. Just a guess...most of the time I have no idea what I'm talking about.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Dan, I'm wondering if the reason they're quieter without silencers and only a supressor has to do with string oscillation. More weight on the string equals additional oscillation at the shot. Without it, the suppressor can do its job more efficiently. Just a guess...most of the time I have no idea what I'm talking about.
That's my thoughts exactly. I think it may also depend on positioning. Further toward the cams quieter with a suppressor, but are they even necessary? Most times I think not!

Dan
Old 02-09-2009, 08:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

How about a heavier arrow?
Old 02-09-2009, 10:27 AM
Fork Horn

X2
I shoot a Patriot with a MeanV suppressor and nothing else.
Dandbuck

Quick Reply: Best String Silencers?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.