Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Peep Problems

Old 02-06-2009, 01:00 PM
N2D

Default Peep Problems

I just got one of my bows (Not Bowtech) back from having some warranty work. The top roller and bearings were replaced. It came back with the same string it had on it which is fine, nothing changed. I have been trying to install my Meta Peep in the same location. It worked fine before. Now it is on such an steep angle that I cannot see through it. It is as though the apex is more acute. I measured the A to A and brace heighth andthey areon specs. The only thing that may be different is the max draw weight.It's max is 70# but when new went up to 73#. Not uncommon right? Now it goes up to 77#.I have not checked the max out in a couple years since I shoot it at 60#. Anyone know what could be preventing the peep from being as it was?

Thanks

Ed
Old 02-06-2009, 01:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Peep Problems

ORIGINAL: N2D

I just got one of my bows (Not Bowtech) back from having some warranty work. The top roller and bearings were replaced. It came back with the same string it had on it which is fine, nothing changed. I have been trying to install my Meta Peep in the same location. It worked fine before. Now it is on such an steep angle that I cannot see through it. It is as though the apex is more acute. I measured the A to A and brace heighth andthey areon specs. The only thing that may be different is the max draw weight.It's max is 70# but when new went up to 73#. Not uncommon right? Now it goes up to 77#.I have not checked the max out in a couple years since I shoot it at 60#. Anyone know what could be preventing the peep from being as it was?

Thanks

Ed
I'd make sure the scale is accurate first. Not saying that IS the problem... but that is quite a varience. I don't know when the last time you changed your string and cables was, but quite often your max draw will go DOWN with time... I've never known it to go up. Unless whomever was working on your bow monkeyed with the cables and string... I don't exactly have an answer for you.

I will say that with 70# limbs.... 73#s is fine... but 77#... ehhh.... probably not. Either way.... I'd take some twists out of the cables and make the peak closer to 70 than 80. Recheck your specs after that and make sure your cam/cams are still timed ok.

Is it the angle that is giving you problems? Are you sure that the peep is in the string right? Are you looking at the top of it or the side of it? Make sure it is still round too... meta's have a tendancy to crush... which is why I don't use them.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:25 PM
N2D

I just got the scale last week and have not checked it for accuracy. Guess I need to do that huh? However, I did put my other bow on it and it showed lower than it was when new last spring. I would expect that. The problem with the peep seems to be that it is tilting over too much. Like the top is trying to lay down forward. I checked the peep and it is fine. I always make sure on the Meta Peeps that I do not put the serving too close to the top or bottom when tying the serving on. Seems to work fine the last couple of years. Perhaps you are right SC with the twist on the string. But which one do I untwist the shooting string or the cable?

Thanks

Ed

Old 02-06-2009, 01:29 PM
N2D

Guess I should have said that I am looking at the bottom of the peep. As I said, it's like the peep is trying to lay down forward. Hope I am explaining this correctly.
Old 02-06-2009, 03:03 PM
N2D

Got it!
Old 02-06-2009, 04:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Got it!
What was it? Did you have the string in the serving grooves instead of the string groove?
Old 02-06-2009, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

Got it!
What was it? Did you have the string in the serving grooves instead of the string groove?
Thats what I was thinking. I've done that brilliant move once or twice
Old 02-07-2009, 01:31 AM
N2D

Yup, I must fess up. That's exactly what I did! I'm in bad need of a vacation. However, I did check my scales at the lower end (15 Lbs) and it is on. Have not checked it around the 70# range yet. I will say, when turned all the way up, the bowfeels every bit of 77# when I draw it. It's all I can do to pull it. I supposesince everything else is on I will not worry about it. I shot it at60 # and it's fine.
Old 02-07-2009, 01:37 AM
N2D

Yup, i must fess up. That's exactly what I did[]. I am in bad need of a vacation. However, I did check my scales at 15# and they are on. Still need to check it at 70#. Indeed the bow does feel every bit of 76-77# when I draw it. It's all I can do to draw it. Shot it at 60# and it is fine. Since everything else is in guess I will just won't worry about it.