Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

" Shoot through" cable system..no cable guard?

Old 04-16-2003, 11:29 AM

Default " Shoot through" cable system..no cable guard?

I have been researching the Merlin compound bows. I found that some of their cam/wheel models use a " shoot through" cable system, which eliminates the cable-guard rod. I found that some other European bows also use the shoot-through system (Greenhorn Diamond Star).

Anyone personally familiar with the " shoot through" cable system?
Old 04-16-2003, 11:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: " Shoot through" cable system..no cable guard?

I believe Martin has one as well in their " Fury-X" cam system.
Old 04-16-2003, 12:27 PM
Typical Buck

Yes, I' m quite familiar with the Merlin shoot-through system. I am on their Factory Staff and also their #1 dealer in the USA. The shoot-through system offers a great alternative to the cableguard systems---no cam lean from side-pull, less bushing wear, which means less maintenence. Everything lines up--sight, rest, arrow. Once you get used to NOT inducing offsetting torque to counteract the cableguard sidepull, bullet holes are immediate, and accuracy is enhanced because of the repeatability.

Merlin, Greenhorn, Alternative, Martin, Kudacek, and others have been producing shoot-throughs of some kind or another for some time now. All have their good and bad points, but all are far better than any cableguard system IMO. I shoot them exclusively, except on my hunting bow, and that only because it didn' t originally come with one and I didn' t bother to change it. I would have no problem shooting one for hunting either if the bow had over 7" of brace height.

Try one out, at least for Tournament work. You' ll be pleasantly surprised. Good shooting, Pinwheel 12
Old 04-16-2003, 12:39 PM
Fork Horn

c903-

Both my Merlins have had the shoot-through harness. I tried the cable-guard for a while on my SuperNova just because I like to tinker, but found that for me, the shoot-through performed better. I really like the shoot-through for targets. Not shure if I would want one for my hunting bow due to bulky clothes and coats for cold-weather hunting, but love them for target.

Best of luck-
Old 04-16-2003, 02:01 PM

I' ve wondered how useful the shoot-through systems would be for hunting. Pinwheel, how big is the space between the strings? I hunt in some very cold weather and would be worried about the string hitting the sleeve on my heavy jackets. I also wondered about how easy it would be to thread an arrow in from the nock end, with my whisker biscuit rest on my bow.

Sounds like a great system, but I' m not able to picture exactly how it would work.
Old 04-16-2003, 02:04 PM

Who says you cannot find anything about most everything regarding archery, here at HNC?????

Thank you Pinwheel and Black Frog! I do believe you have answered one my concerns regarding the system, if used for hunting purposes i.e. cable arm/clothing clearance. Pin' s reference to having at least a 7" brace seemingly to alludes to the arm/clothing clearance issue.

I was also wondering about the fletch clearance and any eye-to-pin obstruction possibly imposed by the outside cable.

However, just the arm/clothing clearance issue (hunting) is enough to make me decide against the " shoot through" system; but not the " Merlin."

I know I do not have to explain my position regarding too many gadgets and having a setup requiring too many adjustments and too much adaptation on hunting bows; especially to Pinwheel.

Old 04-17-2003, 06:51 AM
Fork Horn

c903-

I used big ' ol fattie 2613' s with 4" feathers for indoor spots for a while this year with no clearance issues with the cables.

Since you are looking through a peep IN the string (I assume you' ll be using a peep), you are looking directly through the center area of the cables. Not a problem at all- never have even noticed the cables in my target window, and never even thought of it until you just mentioned it!

I' ll be using a Merlin this year for hunting as well- just put in the order for the new Quest35 from PW12. Can' t wait!
Old 04-17-2003, 08:47 AM

Black Frog

I do not use a string peep. I use 2 kissers and sight to left of string.

Old 04-17-2003, 09:15 AM
Typical Buck

The Merlin shoot-throughs currently have some of the best arrow clearance of any of the shoot-through systems available today, the measurement between the cables is a full 2" , so you have roughly 7/8" an inch on either side of the string. The only time any of my customers get any trouble with arrow-pass cable contact is when they run a " log" with high-profile vanes or feathers, or have an induced-torque problem. (which is their problem to repair, not Merlins) Otherwise, they are sweet.

Loading arrows are a snap, you simply have to learn how to do it correctly, takes about 10 minutes. You grab the arrow from the middle, and feed in the nock end first, then lay it on the rest. If you have a whisker buscuit, you' ll be better off with the one that is v-notched. No biggie.

I mentioned the 7" of clearance because that is what you need to clear you arm with any hunting clothing on due to the cables being wider than the string. The upside is that even if you do hit, it is not like a " string smash" because the cables go up/down instead of a full powerstroke forward/back, so it is at most a slight " brush" should you have contact, and if you were to ever have an occasional cable contact, it would probably not be enough to throw the shot off much anyway. I have never had a problem with contact, even when shooting 3D' s in colder weather and being all bundled up. Again, over 7" of brace height is a must.

Bottom line is that the attributes far outweigh the negatives. Try one and see. Only currently available on a twin cam, tho some solos have their own variation of " 1/2 shoot-thru" , but as of yet no-one has built a " full" production shoot-thru for a solocam or hybrid, tho I know Martin is currently working on their version for their solocams, and a few other companies are working on things also. Good shooting, Pinwheel 12
Old 04-21-2003, 08:51 AM
Fork Horn

As far as the hunting clothes issue, the cables will actually prevent the string from hitting your arm. If cables hit, you will never know the difference because they move so very little.