Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

cam lean and limbs

Old 04-16-2003, 06:22 AM
Fork Horn

Default cam lean and limbs

I am kind of hung up on the cam lean that my FX has.After looking things over and trying to figure out how to straighten the cam out I have come upon a few things that raise some questions.

First,I measured axle to axle and found that the measurement was 3/16" longer on the side of the cable opposite the cam lean.Is this too much?

Second,I noticed that the cam bushings were quite loose and a different thickness.The thinner bushing is on the side that the cam leans to, making the clearence tight to the limb,but not touching.Do the bushings center the cam in the limb or do they set the center shot of the string or both?

Why don' t they put bearings on the cams?

Do I have too much time on my hands? Ron

Old 04-16-2003, 08:35 PM

Default RE: cam lean and limbs

I had the same problem on my Q2 - to the point that I was tearing up cables. The cam would rub the cable serving to the point that I had a fuzzy mess on the serving just above the cam. Took it to the pro shop where they replaced the string and cable. It tore up that cable in less then 50 shots. Back to the pro shop a 2nd time. This time they did the same thing but put an extra twist or two in quiver side of the top cable yoke. Didn' t help - Tore up this cable in another 50 shots. The third trip to the shop ended with me leaving the bow with them to send to Mathews. It ended up that the axle holes in the lower limb were not drilled straight. As the bushings wore out this caoused the cam to cant and get into the cable while drawing the bow. Seems it was bad from the day I brought it home, it just took the bushings wearing out to bring it to light. By the way, Mathews wouldn' t do anything for me but the proshop did give me my $ back for all the cables, strings, silencers, etc that I had to keep replacing.
Old 04-16-2003, 08:45 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: cam lean and limbs

I have done several years of research trying to figure out all the little problems that create wheel leans because right off the bat you have about 90pnds of force on one side of the cam but there are several things in a bow that create wheel lean here is a few axle holes as moose said,bushings,pocket to riser fit riser, end cut a few degrees off then when pocket slides on sits at angle,when the pocket does not fit tight on riser it allows lateral movement and a 3/32 at the pocket can be 1/8 at the limb tips and when the limb comes out of the pocket at this slight angle it puts more stress on one side or the other which ever way it is leaning which is always to the right on a right hand and to the left on a left hand that is just a few and those are some of the main issues i have fixed on my Newberry bows so that you have true center shot and no wheel leans thank you Richard Newberry