Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Arm straight or bent, feet apart or together?

Old 01-23-2009, 04:10 AM
Fork Horn

Default Arm straight or bent, feet apart or together?

Hey all I was working on my form alittle this week and had a few questions for you.

First off do you keep your bow arm straight or slightly bent? I currently hold my bow with arm slightly bent but have seen people keep this straight.What arethe advantages/disadvantages to having the arm straight rather than bent? I do not ever hit my string on my arm when currently shooting but I was curious to know if there was more consistency in shots with the arm straight? If I were to want my arm straight i would have to extend the DL of the bow because right now I have the DL pretty short.

Also, does having feet apart/together make any difference? I guess there would be more stability with feet apart but I find it more consistent shooting feet together. Let me know your thoughts on this.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Arm straight or bent, feet apart or together?

Your feet being apart or together really doesnt matter, its whatever platform works best for you. Ive seen guys shoot (well) with their feet touching. ITs all what you think is more stable, just do it consistantly.

Old 01-23-2009, 06:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: 07tomkat

Hey all I was working on my form alittle this week and had a few questions for you.

First off do you keep your bow arm straight or slightly bent? I currently hold my bow with arm slightly bent but have seen people keep this straight.What arethe advantages/disadvantages to having the arm straight rather than bent? I do not ever hit my string on my arm when currently shooting but I was curious to know if there was more consistency in shots with the arm straight? If I were to want my arm straight i would have to extend the DL of the bow because right now I have the DL pretty short.

Also, does having feet apart/together make any difference? I guess there would be more stability with feet apart but I find it more consistent shooting feet together. Let me know your thoughts on this.
If you have the right grip, you CAN lock your bow arm out, and actually develop a little more consistency if you've had consistency problems. Using a "high wrist" grip can help compensate for a draw that may be a half inch long or too long, and may also help you if you are trying to sqeeze out an extra inch or half inch. As far as the feet go, I shoot from a variety of positions because I know that the shot I get from my tree or from the ground, may not be the PERFECT one I'm settng up for. Optimally, you're best with your feet about shoulder width apart, but that's not the position I'm usually in when I'm getting opportunities at animals. I've taken several shots from a kneeling position, and I've taken some when I was literally leaning agains the tree I was in.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Most people are going to shoot better with feet shoulder width apart, bow arm slightly bent, and learn to squeeze a release.

Biggest problem I've seen is guys locking their arms out straight (DL too long) and hammering a release.

Dan
Old 01-23-2009, 06:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have always shot with a straight arm. By this I don't mean with tense muscles. The arm m uscles are relaxed so as to not induce any torque. The main advantage to shooting this way is that with all the bones in a straight line (bone to bone alignment) the arm and shoulder muscles don't have to work as hard to hold the position. This means less fatigue and more repeatability.

I might also add that this is where having the bow hand turned approx 45 degrees with the knuckles out also helps. A search can explain this further, but let it suffice to say that if you grip your bow you aren't doing it right.

As for the feet? Let's just say that with almost any structure the base is at least as wide as the top.You don't see buildings built like an upside down triangle--for obvious reasons. With the feet close together or touching you have a less stable base. You don't have to have your feet as wide as the shoulders, but apart at what you feel is comfortable for you. I've never measured mine, but I would guess my feet are about 1' apart most of the time---on level ground.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:57 AM

You want a system that has the least amount of tension in it so try to keep your body in it's most natural positions. When standing that's with feet under the shoulders. Your relaxed arm has a slight bend in it. Your relaxed hand has slight curvature in the fingers.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Your feet should be shoulder width or slightly more.If your feet get too close together,you will not have as stable of a platform.

The feet shoulder width and the front foot pulled back to open your midsection is a preferred method by many long distance shooters because this is a more stable platform in the wind.

The arm should be straight but relaxed with the wrist and forearm turned out slightly.The reason most consider this correct is simple,it is harder to maintain a bend and have it be consistant and fatigue sets in quicker when using a bent arm because of the smaller muscle groups being used.

Try this simple task,lean against the wall or a door facing with your arm straight but relaxed and then try it with a bent arm and see which way you tire quicker.Also pay attention to which way you are more stable.

With that being said,there are some darn good shooters that shoot with a slight bend because it is more comfortable for them.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

I should have read down and I would have seen where Bg posted,then I could have saved myself some typing.[&:]
Old 01-27-2009, 01:23 AM

Sightly bent if you straighten you arm out to were your elbow is locked you will have tennis elbow further down the road. Straighting you arm all the way out you are cratingone pivot point your shoulder with makes it harder to hold on the target and wind is going tobe harder foryour to aim in. Also it hard to get a good push and pull on release. Make a fisthold it straight up and down and have a buddy hold your hand and try moving it as pushing on it too.You will seewith a lot moresteadytokeep a slightly bent elbow help keep you hand from moving. You find you have more control with your elbow bent a little as your pushingThat way you most really good target archers shoot that way. A slightly bent down elbow also means you hand pressure is good. If you elbow is turned straight out that means your hand is not far enough into the handle and your going to brake at the wrist on release and need a over draw putting the pivot point over the top of your wristandyournot putting all the presser into the bass of your wrist. I shoot with my feet at shoulderwidth because if I'm standing on a hill sideit's easier for me to bend at the waist the stepper the hill the little closerthey will be together sometimes even touching my heels together
Old 01-27-2009, 10:01 AM
Fork Horn

try this experiment. hold out your arm straight and have someone pull down on it. then hold it out slightly bent and have them pull down. you will find that with your arm is more steady bent

Quick Reply: Arm straight or bent, feet apart or together?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.