Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Going Without A Peep Sight!!!! Leads to a Robinhood.

Old 04-14-2003, 01:34 PM

Default Going Without A Peep Sight!!!! Leads to a Robinhood.

Hey guys,

I just got back from fishing a little while ago and I decided to go shoot my bow. I decided to try something new, so, I went out, and shot the thing without a peep, and I decided to sight it in without a peep. I got it to the point where I was getting 3-4" groups at 25 yards, which isn' t too bad considering that I have always used bows with peep sights. At 25 and 20 yards, I was holding groups just as good as I was getting last year out of my MT Sport (2" groups), and at 15 yards I was better than last year. I got my first " Robinhood" ever today. It was a great feeling, but, at the same time, it sucked because I totally ruined one of my new arrows. [:@][:' (][:@]

So, now I am thinking about just going without a peep. If I am getting these type of results, then do I really need a peep? I can see the pins much better without a peep, and my sight view isn' t blurry (with a peep sight, my view was very slightly blurry).

Who here shoots without a peep, and what is the benefits of this during a hunt? Does it allow you to shoot in darker enviroments? I would imagine that it does.

Any info on this would be appreciated. Well guys, I am going out to paper tune and get some more shooting in. This 75 degree day, with no clouds in the sky is NICE

Old 04-14-2003, 01:46 PM

Default RE: Going Without A Peep Sight!!!! Leads to a Robinhood.

Don' t Do it!!!!!

Either get a no-peep or use a peep.

You did that under PERFECT conditions. As you know things get real tricky when hunting. Nerves, Angles, odd positions - and make it much harder.
Old 04-14-2003, 02:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ya, I was thinking the odd position of a shot from up in a treestand would definatley make the string not anchor up right if you didn' t have a peep or kisser there to help you maintain anchor. (did that make any sense?)
Your thinking about possible speed gains again aren' t you[>:]
Old 04-14-2003, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ditto, get a no-peep system or a hindsight but don' t just go peepless.
Old 04-14-2003, 03:20 PM

I know lots of people who do not use a peep who are very good archers. In fact, the best shooter I know, does not use a peep and he' s unbelievable. Myself, I have the no-peep on my bow, but hardly ever look at it. Once you' ve practiced enough, even the no-peep is not needed.

I switched because my eyesight is not the best and getting worse every year. I see my target much better without a peep. Even mid-day, I see better. I' ve also never been one who wanted something on my bow, when hunting, if there was a chance that it would interfer with a shot. I love hunting without a peep and would never go back.
Old 04-14-2003, 03:24 PM

Yaaay, for Buck Magnet!

Free at last, free at last, thank God Almighty, he is free at last!"

Buck, you stick to your guns. You do not need the peep sight. To say you cannot shoot consistently accurate without a peep is like saying you cannot shoot accurately without a release, without a fall-away rest, without mechanical broadheads, without plastic vanes, without a 300 fps bow, etc.

Peeps are for targets and Styrofoam quarry; peeps are not best suited for hunting. The very first device that was used to maintain a consistent anchor point, was a kisser button. Many non-peep shooters still use just a kisser button and string to nose or cheek.

Hunting without a peep-sight will open new doors for you. No more peep rotation, no sliding out of position, no rubber hoses to align your peep, no more unnecessary forces playing upon the strands of your string. No more dreading the shaded areas in the timber. No more blurred peep from the sun. What do you do if the peep misaligns or pops out while in the field?

Now you can see earlier and see later. No more passing on legal time still available because you cannot see through the peep. No more moisture, ice, dust, in the peep hole, blocking your vision. No weird and unreliable gadgets that are meant to assist in conditioning form, not sighting.

Until you get it down pat, you will have some days when you are not sure you made the right decision. Stick with it. You have to recondition yourself -and you will. The payoff is great. You only need a peep if you are not ready and willing to learn how to shoot consistently accurate without one …like every one used to do…shoot accurately without a peep.

I triangulate my anchor and sighting by the use of two medium sized kissers. 1 button touches the right side of my nostril, the other button touches the right side of my lip.

It is now so ingrained, that I do not consciously feel for the buttons to be in place. I now instantly feel if they are not touching where they are supposed to, and I can correct in a flash. I can hold the anchor position no matter what body position I am in when I need to take a shot. In fact, the 2-button method forces my head to stay properly aligned. The times I tried a peep sight, I found that certain body positions so common to hunting actually forced my eye away from the peep, or past the peep.

Pratice, practice, practice; not adjust, adjust, fix, fix!
Old 04-14-2003, 04:09 PM

Not everyone can do it successfully,but if you can realize Great Accuracy without it,then grab life by the Horn' s and go with it.Ive been shooting without a Peep of any kind for over 35 year' s,and see no difference between having one,and not!BUT it takes Practice,and a Good Repeatable Anchor is A MUST! Ive taken my Share of Game without it,and can Stack the Arrow' s in the Bull,out to 50 +yard' s,but then again,ive had lot' s of Practice with this Method.Be Patient,and dont get Discouraged,some Day' s are Good,Some not so Great,Stay Consistent,and Reap the Benifit' s of not having the Excuse of saying," I could have Shot him,BUT i couldn' t see through my Peep" ! Good Luck!
Old 04-14-2003, 05:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

I' ve never had a peep and inquired about one this year and was told by the pro that the way I shoot I don' t need one. Although he did put on a kisser in which I' ve never used, in over twenty years of shooting. Ican' t see any difference.
Old 04-14-2003, 06:08 PM

Not only does it take TONS of practice - but for the most part you nedd a kisser or two to get a good anchor.

And we all know BM is not going to slow that bow down with a ton of rubber on the string - that mite bring him under 300 fps.[]
Old 04-14-2003, 07:14 PM

Rack-Attack,

Its not about speed at all. If I don' t need one, why use it? It is just another thing to worry about. I have months to practice, I have very good form, and I always have a kisser button here if I need it. I can always install a peep if I feel it is nessacary, but, I really don' t think that it is. All a peep is, is a hole that helps you judge your form. This past year, I was at the point where the peep was no use. I looked through it, but, that was only because it was in my sight view. I was at the point where I drew my bow back, didn' t focus on the peep at all, just focused on the pins, and shot.

I am not using this bow for any target or 3-D shoots. It is just for hunting. I could see having a peep if I was into 3-D shooting, but, that is only because you are trying to hit a EXACT spot. Don' t get me wrong, when I am hunting, I am picking a spot and trying to hit it, but, I have more margin for error. By this I mean that if I hit within two inches of where I am aiming, I am still going to get a good shot, but, when 3-D shooting, you are trying hit a nickel sized target.

I am going to give it a try and see how it works. I don' t see any downside to trying it out.

Quick Reply: Going Without A Peep Sight!!!! Leads to a Robinhood.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.