Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

couple of questions about the wisker biscuit...

Old 04-13-2003, 05:04 PM
Spike

Default couple of questions about the wisker biscuit...

I' ve seen a lot of good press about the whisker biscuit so I installed one on my bow this weekend. I paper tuned the bow and resighted my pins and I' m happy with the performance so far but I have 2 questions.
1. When I draw my bow it seems a good bit noisier than my previous rest. Is there anything I can do to quiet the sound of the shaft being drawn over the fibers?
2. I still see an occasional arrow kicking sideways on its way down range. My bow is punching a bullet hole through paper. Could there be any clearance issues with this rest?
Thanks for any input,
Will
Old 04-13-2003, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: couple of questions about the wisker biscuit...

I am on my second Whisker Biscuit. I didn' t like the first one too much, and got rid of it. Problems were the noise that you mentioned, and lack of accuracy.[:' (]

Now I am using one that I have cut a loading slot like the newer versions, and also trimmed the back flat, following the instructions on the Carolina Archery Products web site. The rest still is a bit noisier to draw an arrow across than some other rests, but it is quieter than the unmodified one was. The accuracy of this rest is much better than the first one was. I am shooting as well with this setup as with any other rest I have used, including drop aways.

I have heard it mentioned that the biscuit often gives bullet holes when the tune is not really right. That is what I found to be true as well. I had to move mine around some to get the grouping right. I checked it by group tuning, shooting with broadheads, and also by shooting a few different types of arrows to see how close they would shoot compared to each other. At some settings when I had been getting the bullet hole, the grouping was not so good, and broadheads would not group with field points, and different brands of arrows would impact at significantly different points. By making small adjustments, mostly with the broadhead-field point patterns, I got the thing tuned pretty well.

If you are noticing the arrow " kicking sideways" then I think some fine-tuning would help, and perhaps there is torque in the grip that is affecting the arrow flight. Even though I am pleased with the biscuit for now, I would not say that they are the most forgiving of all arrow rests.[]
Old 04-13-2003, 05:48 PM
Spike

Joe PA,
thanks for the good feedback. I' ll try to trim it per the website and see how this affects things.
You make a good point. Paper tuning doesn' t mean a thing if broadheads don' t group with the field tips.
thanks again,
Will
Old 04-13-2003, 08:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

2. I still see an occasional arrow kicking sideways on its way down range. My bow is punching a bullet hole through paper. Could there be any clearance issues with this rest?
Thanks for any input,
Will
will there is the issue of the Fletching contacting the rest and creating drag every time you shoot an arrow through the rest.
there is nothing you can do about the noise issue with the WB

I would suggest that you take a look at the GKF Shootout If you like full containment type of rests. this is an excellent rest very accurate and very Quiet!

Old 04-14-2003, 03:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I trim one side of the rest, and paper tune at 3,8,and 15 feet. When I get bullet holes at these distance I go shooting. You have to be sure to get bullet holes at several distance otherwise you may get a " false tune" . The noise level is dependant on what arrow your shooting. aluminums and rough surface carbons are fairly loud. Smooth finish carbons are very quiet on the draw.
Old 04-14-2003, 04:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yep, smooth carbons are the answer.
Old 04-14-2003, 04:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yep, smooth carbons are the answer.