Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Screw in tip diameter?

Old 04-12-2003, 09:53 AM

Default Screw in tip diameter?

I have always shot a very forgiving aluminum shaft. My wifes bow doesn' t have the weight to push my big shafts, so I got her some Game Winner " Terminator" carbon arrows to try. Well, it puts them clean through my McKenzies mid section, the thickest part and it is new, had it a week!

I can' t find a field tip that is the same smaller diameter as the shaft of the carbon shafts. It has pulled the inserts with the tip, out of the arrow.

I tried a tip called " pig points" , but some of them pulled the inserts out too.

What size diameter, screw in tips do I need. All I seem to be able to find are 11/32 or 5/16 diameter. Are there smaller tips available?

Old 04-12-2003, 10:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Screw in tip diameter?

9/32
Old 04-12-2003, 12:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hyawatha,
Those " Pig Points" should actually make it easier to pull your Terminators out of the target.....they have that slightly oversized shape to punch a slightly larger path than the diameter of your shaft preventing that annoying bonding of foam to the shaft which makes them hard to pull out.

Regardless of the diameter point you are using........your inserts should NOT be pulling out. Sounds to me like they were not glued in properly. slightly rough up the inside of the shaft itself, clean it with alcohol , let dry, and then glue the inserts in with something like Goat Tuff. They won' t come out anytime soon.

Old 04-13-2003, 11:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree that you need to addres the insert gluing process.When I install inserts in this type of carbon shafts,I like to take a small file and put a couple small grooves in the inserts before I glue them in.I also like too rough up the inside of the shaft a bit.