Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

what to do, what to do...

Old 04-11-2003, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default what to do, what to do...

I' ve all but decided to try a new rest this year. For the past two seasons, I' ve shot the Savage drop away, but I don' t have total confidence that it won' t drop at an inopportune time, as to set the spring tension high enough to get the launcher to clear the fletching due to the my bowspeed, it becomes really touchy.

I' ve been going back and forth between three options. My bow is purely a hunting bow. The three options are the Whisker Biscuit deluxe with the new ez load biscuit, the Bodoodle Zapper 300 and the GKF power drop with an arrow holder added.

I can see pro' s and cons of each of these approaches. I' ve spoken to people who love and hate the WB, I see people having tuning problems with the zapper yet the owner of bodoodle assures me it is easily tuned for pinpoint accuracy out to 70 yards, and I have no experience with an arrow holder that I think would be a great addition to the Powerdrop, which most people who' ve tried it really seem to like.

What would you do?
Old 04-11-2003, 09:31 AM

Default RE: what to do, what to do...

One more thing you might try before you dump the savage is setting it as tight (quick) as you want, where it barely or not hardly will support the arrow. Attatch a cocking lanyard to it like you would a trophy taker or something. You' ll never have to remember to cock it and it might give you the adjustment you think you' re lacking to find the " sweet spot" .

We use this setup on my sons bow and it works fine and addresses a few other issues as well.

1. Like I mentioned he doesn' t have to remember to cock it.
2. His bow isn' t cut past center, but we can shoot the cock vane out with this setup.
3. We have the forgiveness of a fall a way and he does well with most arrows we' ve ran through it, including those suited to my bows (and he draws 25 lbs at 21" ).
4. If he creeps forward any his rest doesn' t start to fall, the magnet stays engaged. No major fliers. He' s still growing into the shortest setting on his bow.
5. I got the savage out of the archery box and put it to good use (I don' t like having decent accessories not being put to use.)
6. I used to use a fallaway and if it is good enough for me, it' s good enough for him.

Just a thought anyway. Good luck!

-Chief

Old 04-11-2003, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

That' s a creative solution, but I' m trying to stay away from any string or cord type system, based purely on personal preference. Thanks anyway...
Old 04-11-2003, 09:43 AM

Cool. No problem.

May I ask why? Durability? Are you a crawler?

You just want a new toy don' t you?

-Chief

Old 04-11-2003, 10:16 AM

Hey Range I have some great advise for you.....

Take real good notes, write down everything I do, and how I do it....

Then do the complete opposite

You are sure to be happy[:-]
Old 04-11-2003, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Chief, I just like simplicity. I don' t wanna mess with taking the time to make sure a cord is set just right, and it will always be in the back of my mind " what if it slips" and stuff like that. I want 100% confidence in my equipment. The savage isn' t giving it to me.

Rack, best advice I' ve had in a long long time... I feel your pain
Old 04-11-2003, 10:29 AM
Typical Buck

Is there any reason you have not considered the Muzzy Zero Effect ?
Old 04-11-2003, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don' t like it' s bulky appearance. That is one of the reasons I favored the Savage. Just my personal preference. I' m sure it works well, but it' s not for me.
Old 04-11-2003, 11:42 AM

I' m with you on the ZE. I know it works but it just isn' t for me.

-Chief
Old 04-12-2003, 06:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with the lack of confidence in the hanging string issue. It looks like somthing to get hung up in the brush on the way up and down the tree.
The GFK power drop looks promising and may even provide some sound dampening properties. If only there was a way (I assume there is) to hold the arrow on the shelf until ready to draw.
I already use two bisquits, but was wanting to try a drop away on my new bow, but just can' t decide. AND I' m having a hard time leaving the huntability of the WB.

I' m waiting for the 2003 archery catalogs to arrive before any purchases, I don' t want to buy all my stuff now and " dope" there' s a new and improved staring at me when the catalogs come out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.