Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Feathers/Vanes?

Old 04-11-2003, 05:48 PM

Default RE: Feathers/Vanes?

mlaubner

We are not shooting birds off of our bows...we are shooting arrows.
I know! I was indicating natural science of matter and motion.

Feathers are lighter, but do not retain the speed down range that you claim. In fact vanes retain more speed down range as feather create more drag.
I will go with the test results that I read, and you can go with yours. However, I will settle for the faster speed up to 30 yards that you state.

Dri-fletch only lasts a few shots before you need to re-apply it…
Wrong! I do not apply moisture protection for practice shooting. The fletched arrows in my quiver from last season (3 months) are still upright and in very good condition after being exposed to light rain and snow.

If your vanes develop " memory" you can simple dip them in hot water to straighten them out.
I have seen plastic vanes warped so badly, an auto body shop could not straighten them.

I also have to believe that the shooters in this forum are not shooting off the shelf, but rather with some form of a rest. Those shooters would probably be posting in the " Traditional" forum.
My point was to address a " contact" issue. As for shooters that shoot off the window face using a spring or flipper rest only shooting traditional; there are compound shooters who still do, as a friend of mine does off his compound.

I have used feather fletch for 39 years. Never have had any problems that would cause me to want to use anything else.

Agree and disagree!