Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

BH & FOC

Old 01-06-2009, 11:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default BH & FOC

So I never got my BH hittin exactly like my FP's last year. Close -- but I want them to split. So used a random FOC calculator on a website to check my FOC. If I recall correctly it said 9% which I hear is fine but is a touch low % wise. So maybe you gurus can help me out. I am shooting GT XT Hunters at 30 in nock poiny to SHAFT tip (not point tip). I am using blazer vanes with a wrap and a regular old easton nock. 100 gr point. Would a 125 BH help me out here?
Old 01-06-2009, 11:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: BH & FOC

What is your DL? 30" seems really long. I shoot a 29.5 with 27" arrows.
Derek
Old 01-07-2009, 06:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

To build a Great hunting arrow there are a lot of variables to be considered, not the least of which is FOC.

IMHO a broadhead tipped arrow will perform much better with a minimum FOC of 12%

Dan
Old 01-07-2009, 07:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

To build a Great hunting arrow there are a lot of variables to be considered, not the least of which is FOC.

IMHO a broadhead tipped arrow will perform much better with a minimum FOC of 12%

Dan
Agreed 100%.

If you are going to start changing the tip weight you will need to consider the dynamic spine of the shaft and how that will be affected. By increasing the tip weight you will be "weakening" your spine and you may have to adjust your DW or make adjustments to the shaft length.

There is nothing wrong with 30" arrows as long as they are spined correctly. I have some 30" arrows but they are a .300 spine and carry a tip weight of 300 grains. Arrow length is not arbitrary so they really is no too long (although there can be too short ).
Old 01-07-2009, 07:53 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: FSUBIGMAC

So I never got my BH hittin exactly like my FP's last year. Close -- but I want them to split. So used a random FOC calculator on a website to check my FOC. If I recall correctly it said 9% which I hear is fine but is a touch low % wise. So maybe you gurus can help me out. I am shooting GT XT Hunters at 30 in nock poiny to SHAFT tip (not point tip). I am using blazer vanes with a wrap and a regular old easton nock. 100 gr point. Would a 125 BH help me out here?
If you BH's are not hitting with your field points, its not a matter of FOC, its a matter of your bow is not tuned correctly or your spine is not right for your draw and wieght.

FOC can make things more forgiving, and I like over 10% with compounds and over 14% with trad bows. But it has little to do with field point hitting with your BH's.

If you are getting a stiff reaction from your arrows, then a 125gr BH can help. If your already weak, it will make it worse. But you know all this, because as you say, its not rocket science. So I don't need to be telling you this stuff.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:43 AM
Fork Horn

Sorry I left out some specs -- GT XT 7595's so I am spined correctly - according to GT and every other dealer I have spoken with. I have a 30 in draw with 30 in arrow.100 gr tip, blazer vanes (5gr each), wrap(?gr).
Old 01-07-2009, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would suggest that you are not spined correctly. I am assuming you have a 70#DW and, putting your numbers into Archer's Adv. it shows you having a weak spine.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:11 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: brucelanthier

I would suggest that you are not spined correctly. I am assuming you have a 70#DW and, putting your numbers into Archer's Adv. it shows you having a weak spine.
Thats what I show too, especially if you are seriously getting 320fps. A 125gr tip would do nothing but hurt his flight. But hey, we don't need to tell him

Old 01-07-2009, 12:46 PM
Fork Horn

BC: Ok smart ass -- no need to be a douche -- thats why I asked. To the others that are helping, thanks. GT says the 7595's are the correct spine. Wonder whats up with that? Yes Frank-- 70lb draw
Old 01-07-2009, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

GT(any arrow)charts are basically just an estimate, so you can get the correct shaft to work with. The 7595's would work for you but they would probably have to be something like 2-3" shorter or you could drop your DW to something like 64#'s or so. I believe the spine on those is .340 and you may find an arrow with a .300 spine works better for you and would give you more options in the FOC department.

Please don't take this as a knockas it is not meant to be but when that guy super tuned your bow, which arrows did he use? I would think he would have caught this weak spine during the tuning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.