Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Truly superior, or hype?

Old 04-11-2003, 12:05 PM

Default RE: Truly superior, or hype?

Anyone know what the Trocar tip is, and how the tip is specifically special to Muzzy?
Old 04-11-2003, 12:23 PM

I once watched a show on the discovery channel about doing surgury on someone' s stomach with the laproscopic?sp tools. The tools have a trocar tip on the end to pierce the abodomen wall and they showed this from inside the body cavity after they had put air into the abdomen. The first thing I thought of was my Muzzy fixed blade heads. They said that this style tip needs very little pressure to pierce through the wall and was needed to keep from accidentally going too deep. Verry impressive show!!!
Old 04-11-2003, 01:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don' t know if Muzzy invented it, but they were on the market with the Trocar tip while everyone else making replaceable blade heads were using cone tips. That' s how it' s special to Muzzy. I like tips that cut thru rather than punch thru and generally use traditional style, cut on contact heads. Considering the Trocar tip and what I feel is the best blade retention system out there, Muzzy is the one replaceable blade head I would hunt with.
Old 04-11-2003, 07:57 PM

In response to the " bone busting" quality of any head; I usually try not to shoot dense bone.

However, on the occasions that my broadhead hit large dense bone, I have never had a problem.

In 1973, I hit a large buck in the spine with a 70' s circa 6-blade Wasp, and the head embedded in the spine and I was not able to extract it. I was shooting a 51lb. American " Cheeta" recurve. I suppose the fps was around 170 fps. On another occasion, while using a 52 lb. Hoyt recurve, also about 170 fps, I broke the shoulder on a doe with an older " Satellite" broadhead that also had a cone tip.