Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How often do you replace your string?

Old 04-10-2003, 12:20 PM

Default How often do you replace your string?

I keep mine well waxed and shoot moderate sessions (5 or 6 times a week for 4 months of the year) and very lightly the rest of the year (4 or 5 times a month).I had been replacing the string every other year but I was wondering if this was necessary. Any thoughts on this?
Old 04-10-2003, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How often do you replace your string?

Once every year and a half unless It needs it sooner.
Old 04-10-2003, 02:06 PM
Typical Buck

If you get a Winners Choice string...you may never have to replace your string again.
Old 04-11-2003, 09:55 AM

I normally replace my Zebra strings after about 7 months. I dont really like zebras(to soft and stretchy for my taste) I have a buddy that custom makes bow strings for me and i havnt had to replace one yet. There made of 450 plus brownell string material, and feel like wire at full draw.
Old 04-11-2003, 12:32 PM

The answer will depend greatly on the string you' re using. A well built string can long much, much longer than a cheap commercial string.

I put about 15,000 shots on my strings each year. It' s been my experience that most of the commercial strings are built so poorly that they either fail prematurely or creep too much. I was going through about 2 per year. Same material on a custom string, will perform much better and outlast the cheaper commercial strings, many times over. Now that I' m building my own, they appear almost indestructable, but I' ll replace them once a year, if for no reason other than they only cost me $5 to make and an hour of my time. Add in the fact, that my own don' t creep after the first day of shooting and that my servings hold up much better, and you can see why I' m a firm believer in making sure you have a very good string on your bow.
Old 04-11-2003, 11:26 PM
Fork Horn

I make my own too and replace them every year. When I didn' t it might go two years. Don' t think just because you get a Winners Choice string (if you do) that you don' t have to replace it almost (if not as much) as much as other quality strings (you may want to check out their website and see what their recommendation is). (my opinion only) They are under more tension when made so should have less " give" . When a bow is shot it transfers energy to the arrow, string, bow and limbs. Take away the give in a string and more energy is absorbed by the rest of the bow and causes more stress. I used to use S4 and it seemed to be more brittle and have less give. When it went it just went without any warning. I like and use BCY' s 450 Plus now and don' t have any complaints about it.