Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

New bow hunter

Old 01-01-2009, 11:09 PM

Default New bow hunter

I'm wanting to get into bow hunting but don't want to spend a lot of money on a learning bow. I've had a crossbow before but I want a compound this time. I like the looks and reviews of the Martin Cheetah but from what I've read it only comes in either 60# or 70# draw weight and I would really like a bow that's adjustable to start off low and work my way up with experience. Also, I've heard a lot of good things about Bowtech bows but when I went to their proshop website it had both Bowtech and Diamond bows. Are they made by Bowtech or a different line or what? This site is a great place for info on bow hunting. By the way, I'm looking for a bow no more than $400. Any more recommendations for this price range? Thanks
Old 01-02-2009, 07:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: New bow hunter

All bows typically have 10# of adjustment. Meaning a 60# bow can go down to 50#. I actually think Martin bows have 15# of adjustment, you can check. I’m not sure how easy you’ll find a Bowtech for $400, maybe one of the Diamond models. You may want to check out Parker bows. They make some nice, affordable bows. PSE makes bows that run the range of prices too.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:08 AM
Fork Horn

i tell this to all newbies because they all seem to want that $400 range. and for that money you cant really go wrong with the classics: Bear, PSE, Pearson, Browning

but parker is known for bows that will grow with you. you also mentioned martin and diamond both make fine bows for the money

BOTTOM LINE GO OUT AND SHOOT TILL YOU FIND THE ONE YOU LIKE BEST.
good luck
Old 01-04-2009, 03:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you want a Martin you can order one just about any way you want it. If you want it with 50# limbs then you can get one. You want 55#? They can make it that way, too. Martin bows are like all the rest of compounds in that they are adjustable for draw weight. You can decrease the draw weight 15# from the peak weight, meaning a 70# can be safely backed off to 55#; 60 backs off to 45#, etc.