Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

This TINKERING and TUNING is ADDICTIVE!!!!

Old 04-08-2003, 07:53 PM

Default This TINKERING and TUNING is ADDICTIVE!!!!

I finally know why Frank said that he would give up hunting if compounds were illegal.

I have been sitting here all day (my day off), figuring out ways to get the most speed out of my bow. This is fun. I keep punching up figures to see what type of KE and momentum I could get if I can get my bow to perform at certain speeds.

I have decided to buy a No Peep and give it a try. If I like it, I will keep it, if not, then no harm done.

I have awhile to get my bow set the way I want since there is no way I am going to be able to use it this turkey season like I had planned on.

I have to order new strings, my friend tried to install my peep sight while I was at work without asking me and without the aid of a bow-press. My string is all frayed and I just don' t trust it, so, I gotta order a new string. I have one problem though, I was looking at www.thebowrack.com and was going to order my string and cable from them, but, they say on the page that
Available in lengths from 85-1/2" to 103-3/4"
and I believe that my string length is 84 3/16" Also, the say on the page that
Available in lengths from 34" to 44"
But, I believe that my cable length is 33 11/16" . I don' t know if that is definetly their minimum string and cable lengths or not.

Anyways, like I said, once I get my new bow string, I will get that installed and have the center serving shortened and install my No-Peep. Then, I am going to put in my string leechs (probablly right around 5 1/4" from the axles of the bow. And then, I will probablly pick up some of the Tru Ball Speed Accelorator Balls and tinker around with them on the chrono.

I have been trying to get a good estimate on what my speed would be with this set-up. My bow is currently shooting at 302 f.p.s. Take off the nock thats on there and that will put me at roughly 306-307 f.p.s. Add my release loop which will be roughly 3 f.p.s loss, and that puts me at 303 to 304 f.p.s. Add my string leechs and that should be roughly a 4 f.p.s. (according to the package, but I havn' t tested this). That would put me right around 299 to 300 f.p.s. Cut the center serving down on the string, lets say a 2 f.p.s. gain. That puts me right at about 301 to 303 f.p.s. Next, add my Tru Ball Speed Accelorator Balls. Pinwheel said that you can get up to a 12 f.p.s. gain with these if positioned right and depending on the bow. So, to be safe, I will go with half that and say a 6 f.p.s. gain. That puts me in the range of 307 to 309 f.p.s. which is more than what my goal is.

If my bow was shooting at 307 f.p.s. with my current arrows, I would be getting 88 foot pounds of Kinetic Energy and 0.5715584 lbs-sec of momentum.

If my bow shooting at 309 f.p.s. with my current arrows, I would be getting 89 foot pounds of Kinetic Energry and 0.5752819 lbs-sec of momentum. This set-up would produce 65 foot pounds of Kinetic Energry and 0.4910131 lbs-sec of momentum at 100 yards and still produce 264 f.p.s at this distance. Not that I will ever shot anywhere near that distance.

It is amazing what you can do with a bow if you tinker around with it. I still got a long time till archery season to get this bow all set up, tuned, and sighted in. Lots more IDEAS and things to TINKRE with.

Well, this has been a VERY long post, and to most people, I am sure that it is kinda boring, but hey, its all good.

Now, before I give my fingers a break I have a few questions.

1. I have seen several bows that had Simms String Leech' s tied into the cable. Will this help noise, and will this affect the speed. If so, how much speed loss.

2. How much speed is produced by twisting the cables? Is there a down side to this? And, can it be done with Winners Choice Strings?

3. Who wants to help me drag a Booner out of the woods this year?

Well, I am ending this, and thanks for listening to my rant. Any more tips or info would be appreciated.
Old 04-08-2003, 08:20 PM

Default RE: This TINKERING and TUNING is ADDICTIVE!!!!

Yea that tinkering and tuning is addictive, very addictive. I had to twist my string to shorten my drawlength, DC Patriot, then I had to twist my cables to get the cams back in time. In this process I picked up 3.1 lbs draw weight 61.9lbs to 65lbs. and I am shooting my 329gr 27" redlines 293fps at a drawlength of 27 1/8" (Actual). I have had my bow in the press several times twisting string and cable. I have finally got it just right and intend to leave it that way. Now I tinker with my Carter Atension release setting the speed, or I tinker with my stabilizer adding or reducing the weight.
Old 04-08-2003, 09:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

RE; the String Leeches, I originally had tied mine into my Stone Mountain String and then a Zebra string. I decided to try shooting the Zebra String with the sting Leeches installed but NOT TIED INTO THE STRING, I guess there is enough twist in my string to hold them in place, well they have been this way for around 6 months and have had no problem with them moving or flying out Worked for me hope it works for you
Old 04-08-2003, 10:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

No doubt the tinkering and tuning on a new bow, trying new things as time goes on, learning more, and more is a BIG part of the archery fun. I had to buy a new bow last spring, just because I felt I' d tinkered, and messed around with the last one over 5yrs all I could!!!
Old 04-09-2003, 06:05 AM

quote:

Available in lengths from 85-1/2" to 103-3/4" and I believe that my string length is 84 3/16" Also, the say on the page that quote:

Available in lengths from 34" to 44" But, I believe that my cable length is 33 11/16" . I don' t know if that is definetly their minimum string and cable lengths or not.
Don' t quote me on this, but I think those lengths are " finished" . meaning, get a 34" and twist to 33 11/16 etc.

I hope that' s how it works, cause that' s what I did on mine!
Old 04-09-2003, 06:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

BM,

I wish I could help you with the bowrack questions but I have no experience with them. As for installing string leeches in the cable and how twisting the cable affects speed...I honestly do not know as I have not tried either. I would guess that the speed loss would be relatively minimal at best considering their location.....though they should still quiet the string twang down somewhat.

...oh, and Yes, I will gladly help you drag out that booner next season.

P.S. Quit quoting all those figures you are getting with that Mighty Mite of yours. I might just be tempted to pick one up for myself. The 30 inch peak draw length is the only thing holding me back.
Old 04-09-2003, 07:27 AM

Hey Frank, pick one up and put on a BIG release loop!

I know the numbers are probablly un-achieveable, but its fun to do the math..

But, I must regress, trout season starts Saturday, so, I will have to take a break from worry about the bow [:' (] but atleast I will be out in the woods hooking into some brownies

Its amazing how much thinking you can do when you have nothing to do, like I did yesterday. I have been sick for awhile (my nephew was in the hospital for about 5 days for a stomach virus, and, I got it when I visited him), and I am finally back to normal. After all my thinking yesterday, I might have to try out my new waders that are comming today. I have a pond in my woods, maybe I will go see how warm they are in this cold water

O well, I am off to work. [:@][:' (][:@]
Old 04-09-2003, 11:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

I will be out pursuing some trout as well this weekend. In any case I think you should take your Mighty Mite with you as a good luck charm.
Old 04-09-2003, 02:23 PM

Good luck with those trout Frank.

Hey, thats not a bad idea. Get some heavy rope and wear the MightyMite around my neck. Heck, if the trout ain' t biting, I can always shoot them