Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Dog-gone Trophy taker!!

Old 04-08-2003, 05:11 PM

Default Dog-gone Trophy taker!!

Or should I say Dog-gone bow setter upper [:-]

I have spent two nights trying to stop fletching contact, and just can' t see it happening. Looking for some advise. Already sent an e-mail to trophy-taker and waiting a response.

Set up - 67# 2003 bowtech single patriot, 29" draw, string loop, release, short bar shakey hunter, 4" feathers and 4" vanes, both 5575 and 7595 GT XT' s.

I have set it up to raise from the last 3 " to the last 1/4" . I have moved it up and down (with nocking point).

With cock feather down I get heavy contact from the V in the cradle, almost to where the arm is welded. It hits pretty good.

Cock feather up, the inside down feather nails the tab the knot is tied on too.

I can only get clear with a 1 to 2 " nock high tear, and get bullet holes with bare shaft when set correctly - but feathers hit!

I don' t want to use the bungy - even if it will help.

The cradle rests nice and flat on the shelf.

Any advice??????????
Old 04-08-2003, 05:29 PM

Default RE: Dog-gone Trophy taker!!

Hey R-A I have my 03 pat sc set at 62 & 28 dl for turkey' s. Same rest, same arrow' s with the same prob. Except i get contact with the outside down feather. I am getting bullet holes though with feathers but not with vanes. Same tear as yours. Sounds like we are in the same boat I' m sure someone knows. Sorry i can' t help........fishon
Old 04-08-2003, 07:18 PM
Fork Horn

Rack, is the tt the only rest you have tried on your patriot?
When i had my 02 pat. i had good luck with the trapdoor and the gkf infinity rest was what i did most of my shooting with. The infinity is a great rest, but it is not a drop away, i got great results with those 2 rests.
Old 04-09-2003, 02:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Very intersted in the outcome as I was eyeballing the shakey hunter for my new mighty mite.
What " bungy" do you not want to use??
Old 04-09-2003, 06:57 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 04-09-2003, 08:12 AM

Rack-

I have the original TT on my Pat SC and have no fletching contact at all. One thing I noticed, especially on my Ultratec Cam & 1/2, the arrow needed to be covering the top half of the berger hole with this rest, seemed that it needed more vertical room to completely fall. I set up the Pat SC the same and have had no problems with it. I have the shakey hunter TT on the Ultratec Cam & 1/2, the only thing I don' t like about it is the arrow holding device they send with it, so I' ve been using the one that comes. On a side note, I get complete clearance with the TurboNocks I' ve been using.
Old 04-09-2003, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Rack, the cock feather down contact, do you feel it is because of the design of the rest or the speed of your bow?

I' m currently shooting a savage inertia drop away, and I think my bow is too fast. If I set the spring tighter to decrease pull down time, it becomes too touchy. Perhaps the GKF Powerdrop or MZE are the best drop away choices for blistering fps?
Old 04-09-2003, 09:03 AM

My suggestion.......get another rest.

I had the same problem with a Shaky hunter. No matter how I turned the nock I got contact. I tried everything.

If you are just dead set on using the Trophy Taker why dont you try a different fletching. I used 4 inch feather which helped with the contact but I did get contact. Maybe try a shorter fletching that has a lower profile. I know Easton fletchings are a low profile plastic vane. The 3 7/8 easton vane looks about a 1/8 th of an inch shorter than my 4 inch gateway feathers.

I went back to a shoot through rest. I had to reduce the helical but if I tune my bow correctly my broadhead shoots great ( same point of impact as my feild points).

good luck and let us know what you do?
Old 04-09-2003, 09:27 AM

Thanks for the replies guys.

Still no answer from TT.

bba - I was using my converted mathews fall-away and had some contact also.

Dave - the TT kit includes a bungy type cord also to be used instead of the normal cord.

Double - I have had it over the burger, under the berger and dead on.

Range - I don' t think it is the speed - about 290. I feel it is in the design.

Buckskin - No I am not set on the trophy - I like the design and and ruggedness of it - and I like the capture aspect - but if it don' t work...... Thanks for the tips but I do not want to change my arrows to fit this rest - I should not have too.

I see no way to get the contact to stop??? I even get contact on the bar that the launcher is welded to, along with the tab on the bar. These do not drop, so even if the rest is 100% down I am still getting contact.

I have read so many positive reports on this rest that I still have not ruled out operator error, but I suspect it just won' t work on my setup[:' (]

On a side note - the patriot has terrible cable clearance, even with a sims teflon slide, cock feather in does not clear.
Old 04-09-2003, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Do you have the rest mounted level on your bow? If so, perhaps you could raise the front of the mounting bar so it is higher than the back, effectively lowering the area giving you the cock down contact? Did that make any sense?

Quick Reply: Dog-gone Trophy taker!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.