Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Release Suggestions?

Old 04-07-2003, 04:04 PM

Default Release Suggestions?

First, a little background...

I' ve only been back into archery for about three months now, after not shooting since 1991. I' m doing better with my setup after that length of time than I ever did before. There are still a few things I want to upgrade, though. A release is one of them.

I was shooting at the indoor range the other night and the was looking at releases. I have no interest in going pure back tension, but I' m not really happy with my wrist/index finger trigger release, either. I was talking to the owner of the shop/range and we were discussing what my " ideal" release would be after I tried out several and didn' t like them. Here' s the description of my ideal release that I gave to him:

1) Handheld release (not wrist strap) with grooves for at least three fingers
2) Thumb trigger, crisp, adjustable for tension and travel, NO OVERTRAVEL
2) Loop on it to go around my wrist to prevent having to pull it out of the quiver every shot/round and to prevent dropping it when hunting (I intend to hunt with it also).
3) Head that rotates in front of the trigger (freely rotating and/or lockable at a certain angle) so that I can have my release hand palm-out without twisting my loop (I like loop directly behind nock).

After hearing me out, he asked me if I' d seen the release that Ersa, a buddy at the range, shoots with. He went in back and brought out a Truball Trail Boss with the standard head on it. It took me one shot to fall utterly and hopelessly in love. I shot better with that release from the first shot. I hear that the talon head is better for shooting off a D-loop than the standard head, but I can' t imagine anything working better than that did. I really liked the bar to push it and close it on the loop. That release also didn' t have any type of wrist loop or lanyard on it, or even a hole through it to add one if I remember correctly. It seemed as I might need a bit more draw length using that style of release instead of the wrist strap, too. Even with those minor things keeping it from being my one true love, I was ready to order one just like it immediately... until I heard the price. That shocked me back into reality long enough to make me take a little time and ask for advice before I start dropping big cash for a new release.

Now, here' s where I need your help. Considering my description of my perfect release above, what release do you suggest I check out before I buy? Why is the talon head better than the standard head on the Trail Boss? I saw the Extreme series on the Truball website and the head on it looks even shorter than on the Trail Boss model. Would that make my " needing more draw length" problem that I experienced with the Trail Boss worse?

My goal here is, and has been, to research and test things out until I find the best one for me. Then I' m willing to spend the money (even if it' s painfully expensive relative to my expectations) to get the right part and not have to replace it ever again (ever being at least a couple years, of course). I' m really not locked into a " form" yet, so buying a cam to change the draw 28.5" length on my Legacy isn' t something I necessarily wouldn' t want to do if it helps me shoot better in the long run.

So there' s your assignment, should you choose to accept it. As always, thanks for helping out a relative newbie. This archery stuff is starting to get seriously addictive!
Old 04-07-2003, 08:32 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 04-07-2003, 09:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Release Suggestions?

One I can think of off hand is the Cascade releases made by Spott Hogg. The model 8 is a thumb relax type. The model 10 can be switched from relax to pressure mode, again released by the thumb. Very clean releases. The one thing they don' t have is a rotating head. They use a rope around the string. Still worth a look though.
I' ve used both for about 7 years now.
Old 04-07-2003, 09:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

I done a lot of searching and shooting different releases the one that suited me was the Truball Extreme with the Talon head.
If you use a string loop then go for the talon head if your draw lenght is right then you wont have to adjust it for the release.
Altho they are not cheap if you buy from a shop or direct from Truball you can pick a good one up at very reasonable prices.
I have 2 of them.
Got one off archerytalk for 50 dollars it was only a couple of weeks old the guy could not get used to it.

IMO Truball make one of the best releases you can get.

I also use mine for hunting altho my hunting buddies think I am crazy (maybe they are right)
Old 04-08-2003, 08:47 AM

Trail boss!!!!! You are on the right track. The trail boss with the talon head will swivel 360 degrees. Also the release is customizable.

He is the what you are looking for though. You can add a wrist strap to the Trail boss. Remove the Truball sticker!!!

Go to the Truball web page and read about it. Sounds like you have already found you " perfect" release. You just didn' t know it. True love at first sight!!!!
Old 04-08-2003, 09:14 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 04-08-2003, 10:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Jason,

I ouwn a TruBall King George release. Like a lot of people have said, they make one of the best releases out there. On the king George, I have the options of using a thunb, pinky, or combination to release the string. I love using both my thumb and pinly when releasing. Try putting your hand to your anchor an firing with both.

I have a question though, are you planning on using it for hunting or just 3-d. I ask because any of the releases with the cock arm will make some noise. Also, you will have to deal with cocking the release. If you are looking for quietnees, I' d look at the pro diamond (but you can' t adjust it).

As far as the talon, I don' t think you could beat it as far as using it with a string loop. I use the talon as is with the d-loop on the release. Important though, the talon does not swivel. You can adjust it for positioning, but it will not swivel.

I also have a double ball head, that will interchange for the release.

I believe that most of the extreme releases have holes that you could attach a wrist strap to. But I also believe that the etreme releases are a bit shorter then boss releases.

yes, the releases are a bit pricey. But this would be a release that you could expect to use an aweful long time.

As far as the draw is concerned, I actually had to go to a shorter draw to use this release. I was using a tru-fire with a power grip before I used the Tru-ball and I had to shorten my draw an inch.
Old 04-08-2003, 12:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

We got one from a staff shooter that they dont even have on TRU BALLS web page, I love it.
It is black, has thumb and pinky triggers, Talon head, 3 finger if not using pinky trigger, uses 0 on triggers,it has 2 holes for moving the thumb trigger as well as the standard slot for ajustment, It says Extreme on release but cant find one like it on their website, it looks like the Double Xtreme Caliper. We really like shooting with it and are looking to buy another one if we can find one.
Old 04-08-2003, 01:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Lady, sure it' s not the King George Xtreme???

http://www.truball.com/Pages/kinggeorgextreme.html
Old 04-08-2003, 01:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats almost it. On the arm that you attach the thumb trigger to instead of one hole it has 2, and the base that the arm attaches to has 2 holes for ajustment instead of one. Those are the only differences I can see between the 2. They do have the same patent #.

Quick Reply: Release Suggestions?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.